Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realignment & Gonzaga

Default Realignment & Gonzaga

Hey everyone! As we are currently mired in another round of conference realignment amongst the big boys, I am left wondering how Gonzaga will be affected, if at all? The impending implosion of the Big 12 must put a serious damper on BYU's dreams of finally joining a P5 conference, so are they stuck in the WCC still? Is there any possibility of Gonzaga adding a football program to enable full participation in a bigger conference? Does the Big East finally bite the bullet and extend an invitation to the Zags so as to not miss out on the realignment fun? Does college basketball die a slow death due to the stranglehold the newly formed mega conferences have? What are your thoughts?

If the AAC adds some of the big12 castoffs, they could be decent. I wouldn’t be surprised to see BYU attempt to join if that were to happen.

As for GU, and I understand the geographic concerns and corresponding costs, but the Big East would be fun and a natural fit (aside from the name).

The only marginally viable and attractive realignment option ever proposed was a Big East-West Division. Creighton, SLU, GU, SMC, DePaul, Marquette, et al. Even w a jet, hellacious travel. And RB ain't getting a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The only marginally viable and attractive realignment option ever proposed was a Big East-West Division. Creighton, SLU, GU, SMC, DePaul, Marquette, et al. Even w a jet, hellacious travel. And RB ain't getting a jet.
    BYU for basketball only wouldn’t be terrible, assuming football stays independent.

no

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Is there any possibility of Gonzaga adding a football program to enable full participation in a bigger conference?
    LOL
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    LOL
    If they do, I'm going to demand a refund on my "Gonzaga Football, Undefeated Since 1941 Shirts".

Gonzaga Basketball is Hank. The fans that think Hank might survive are Walter.

I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Gonzaga Basketball is Hank. The fans that think Hank might survive are Walter.

Seems like an awfully bleak outlook for a team that has a top 5 recruiting class and arguably the number one rank going into the next season.

Football realignment makes sense because the CFP wants to expand for income. For that reason, conferences matter and the NCAA is obsolete. Basketball is a different beast. March Madness is keeping programs fat and happy. I don't see Gonzaga being impacted by conference realignment aimed at optimizing football revenues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I think BYU should join the Big-12 if offered. It would provide them with their best chance of making the CFP. That's the only impact to Gonzaga that I see in all of this for now.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

I don't see Gonzaga ever adding Division 1 football, it's just not economically feasible for a school of that size. WSU has issues getting a decent crowd in crummy winter weather; the same problems would impact Spokane. So, I think the Zags are perfectly happy in the WCC; they know they are the dominant team and will continue to be so as long as they can outrecruit St. Marys, LMU, etc.

Texas can do what they want, but this jump to the SEC is obviously football-motivated. I doubt their basketball team cares one way or another.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

- i think we all know and agree these conference jumps are about MONEY and nothing else.
    - jay bilas said yesterday that the acc should add a couple of teams and look to merge with the sec. creating one mega conference and kiss the ncaa goodbye.
    - if that happens that will force the big 10 and pac 12 into creative thinking as to how can they best make MONEY. i do not know what the answer to that question is.

- gonzaga has one thing and one thing only going for it, the public loves the march 68 team tournament and t.v. loves it too. and college teams make MONEY. so long as that holds gonzaga with remain relevant
    - the bad news for gonzaga is again everything is driven by MONEY, once the sec, acc, pac 12 and big 10 can figure out how to make MORE MONEY without a ncaa sanctioned 68 team tournament they will do so in a heart beat. and that my friends is the end of gonzaga basketball as we have known it and loved it these past few decades.

Ever hear of the boiled frog theory? You know....small incremental changes over time that are hardly noticeable until one day you wake up and say to yourself "How the Hell did we get here?" How many of you older folks have looked at your insurance copay bill and said that aloud? It didn't happen over night.

You folks are in for a good dose of boiled frog and I'm not talking about football. Gonzaga's lofty basketball status won't change over night, but you have not thought this through if you think this will only affect football.

I'll start with simple ones. Do you think the NCAA will perpetually remain as the governing body of college athletics? If not, how far into the future? If the NCAA eventually ceases to wield power, who will comprise the selection committee for a post season tournament?

In my opinion, the ruling body of college athletics is currently the SEC commissioner's office. That office will dictate the future of college athletics. As it is doing right now. That office will determine if we proceed with a 68 team post season tournament. Perhaps they will but I don't like the odds. Even if they do, you can be sure that financial overcompensation will be extorted. It is what Texas does. The same arguments that Gonzaga used to leverage the WCC will be used by a couple of SEC programs and not just against conference members, but against the entirety of college athletics. The NCAA is helpless to dictate otherwise.

Hank- "You're the smartest guy I ever met, and you're too stupid to see he made up his mind 10 minutes ago."
    Last edited by MickMick; 07-27-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Gonzaga, along with the big East teams, could become basketball-only members. I see that as becoming a reasonable move, but with respect to the other sports, yes, those could be relegated to an inferior league.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i think we all know and agree these conference jumps are about MONEY and nothing else.
    - jay bilas said yesterday that the acc should add a couple of teams and look to merge with the sec. creating one mega conference and kiss the ncaa goodbye.
    - if that happens that will force the big 10 and pac 12 into creative thinking as to how can they best make MONEY. i do not know what the answer to that question is.

- gonzaga has one thing and one thing only going for it, the public loves the march 68 team tournament and t.v. loves it too. and college teams make MONEY. so long as that holds gonzaga with remain relevant
    - the bad news for gonzaga is again everything is driven by MONEY, once the sec, acc, pac 12 and big 10 can figure out how to make MORE MONEY without a ncaa sanctioned 68 team tournament they will do so in a heart beat. and that my friends is the end of gonzaga basketball as we have known it and loved it these past few decades.
    The ACC is next on the chopping block and it won't happen by merger. The SEC doesn't want all of those schools like Boston College and Wake Forest. No, the SEC will go after Clemson and FSU, programs that will increase the revenue share for all SEC schools instead of reducing it for the sake of expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    The ACC is next on the chopping block and it won't happen by merger. The SEC doesn't want all of those schools like Boston College and Wake Forest. No, the SEC will go after Clemson and FSU, programs that will increase the revenue share for all SEC schools instead of reducing it for the sake of expansion.

Maybe the situation has changed, but I would guess there would be a lot of pushback from Florida and South Carolina in regards to adding Florida St. and Clemson to the SEC.

It's been a long time, but I still kinda miss the Southwest Conference and the Big 8. If the Big 12 just ceases to exist...I really hate what has happened to college athletics over the last 20 or 30 years or whatever it has been. Stupid football and stupid money keeps ruining everything.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Maybe the situation has changed, but I would guess there would be a lot of pushback from Florida and South Carolina in regards to adding Florida St. and Clemson to the SEC.
    There was supposed to be a gentleman's agreement about adding in-state schools, but that isn't stopping Texas from getting in over aTm's objections. If the money is good enough, I think the votes will be there, even if UF and SC oppose it.

I think this may be a case of pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. There is a point where the SEC gets too big and there are diminishing returns. The SEC can only put two teams in its football title game. And only crown one champion. Texas has had trouble being relevant in the Big 12 for a couple decades now. I can’t see how playing in the much tougher SEC helps them.

Meanwhile Oklahoma has been to the playoff four times in the past 6 years. I assure you they won’t make it 4 of their first 6 in the SEC.

Expansion isn’t always a win win.

As for basketball and Gonzaga this will have no impact. Basketball is driven by March Madness, which already produces plenty of money for the schools in the big conferences. The football schools who have basketball will not kill the goose that lays golden eggs. A mythical basketball tournament of only power conference schools would be a boring spectacle and nobody would watch at all like we watch March Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    It's been a long time, but I still kinda miss the Southwest Conference and the Big 8. If the Big 12 just ceases to exist...I really hate what has happened to college athletics over the last 20 or 30 years or whatever it has been. Stupid football and stupid money keeps ruining everything.
    I believe that a requirement of having a conference championship is 12 teams, split into 2 branches of 6 each. The 10 teams of the Big 12 received a waiver.
    Having the conference championship adds a lot of money and is perceived as being more worthy of being considered for the National Championship.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Ever hear of the boiled frog theory? You know....small incremental changes over time that are hardly noticeable until one day you wake up and say to yourself "How the Hell did we get here?" How many of you older folks have looked at your insurance copay bill and said that aloud? It didn't happen over night.

You folks are in for a good dose of boiled frog and I'm not talking about football. Gonzaga's lofty basketball status won't change over night, but you have not thought this through if you think this will only affect football.

I'll start with simple ones. Do you think the NCAA will perpetually remain as the governing body of college athletics? If not, how far into the future? If the NCAA eventually ceases to wield power, who will comprise the selection committee for a post season tournament?

In my opinion, the ruling body of college athletics is currently the SEC commissioner's office. That office will dictate the future of college athletics. As it is doing right now. That office will determine if we proceed with a 68 team post season tournament. Perhaps they will but I don't like the odds. Even if they do, you can be sure that financial overcompensation will be extorted. It is what Texas does. The same arguments that Gonzaga used to leverage the WCC will be used by a couple of SEC programs and not just against conference members, but against the entirety of college athletics. The NCAA is helpless to dictate otherwise.
    I think the NCAA has to remain relevant as there has to be an organization that oversees rule enforcement as well as the Dance...I know money makes the world go round so IF enough of it it thrown in the direction of the Rules and Selection Committees then corruption is a real possibility but as was stated, "...you don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs!"

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I think this may be a case of pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. There is a point where the SEC gets too big and there are diminishing returns. The SEC can only put two teams in its football title game. And only crown one champion. Texas has had trouble being relevant in the Big 12 for a couple decades now. I can’t see how playing in the much tougher SEC helps them.

Meanwhile Oklahoma has been to the playoff four times in the past 6 years. I assure you they won’t make it 4 of their first 6 in the SEC.

Expansion isn’t always a win win.

As for basketball and Gonzaga this will have no impact. Basketball is driven by March Madness, which already produces plenty of money for the schools in the big conferences. The football schools who have basketball will not kill the goose that lays golden eggs. A mythical basketball tournament of only power conference schools would be a boring spectacle and nobody would watch at all like we watch March Madness.
    I could see BCS football evolving into a 'Super League' where there are two 'conferences', a BCS east and BCS west. The east might include the SEC and ACC 'divisions' and the west would include the Big 10 and Pac 12 'divisions'. They can then set up a playoff system within the divisions and conferences with a national championship between the two conference champs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think the NCAA has to remain relevant as there has to be an organization that oversees rule enforcement as well as the Dance...I know money makes the world go round so IF enough of it it thrown in the direction of the Rules and Selection Committees then corruption is a real possibility but as was stated, "...you don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs!"
    I can envision the NCAA Tournament becoming something like the current NIT. If enough conferences bail on the NCAA and just go with tournament of their own design, most likely mirroring a football format, the NCAA is will not have any real leverage.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I could see BCS football evolving into a 'Super League' where there are two 'conferences', a BCS east and BCS west. The east might include the SEC and ACC 'divisions' and the west would include the Big 10 and Pac 12 'divisions'. They can then set up a playoff system within the divisions and conferences with a national championship between the two conference champs.
    Lol that has a big "Western & Eastern Roman Empire" vibe to it.

would thoroughly enjoy seeing Texas move and still suck like they have for decades in their power/money grab attempt

yeah, I admit it