Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The spinmeister

Pop's behavior is not even remotely as boorish as Knight was throughout his career; absolutely no comparison there.

Team USA basketball players are “grumbling” about running head coach Gregg Popovich’s San Antonio Spurs-style offense at the Olympic Games, according to a report from The Athletic.

Joe Vardon’s report comes after Popovich’s squad lost their group stage opener 83-76 to France — a team led by Rudy Gobert and Evan Fournier — on Sunday. It was the Americans’ first Olympic loss in 6,176 days, since being upset by Argentina in the 2004 semifinals.

The report states “the players are frustrated, too, grumbling on their way back to the locker room about ‘running the San Antonio offense’ when apparently they feel like there are better ideas.”
    The analysis can be kept pretty simple: USA shot very poorly from the field that day, which was punctuated when they missed their last 9 shots. Times like that is when old-school basketball wisdom would be to get the ball down low for a high-percentage shot. The USA doesn't have that option any more-- those types of players are all pretty much from other countries. Timme is a unicorn from a post-moves perspective and could really be a problem for NBA teams if someone gives him a chance to go to work down low.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/27/team-u...regg-popovich/

Pop's a great coach and seems like a really cool guy too. One of my all-time favorites.

Pops clobbered Angola, er, Iran.🇺🇸

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Pop's behavior is not even remotely as boorish as Knight was throughout his career; absolutely no comparison there.
    IMHO Knight was a narcissist to the level of being a psychopath ....... but he was a brilliant coach as his record shows.....

as I recall at Texas Tech he overcame a second half deficit of about a dozen points to eliminate a 3 seed Gonzaga team from the Sweet Sixteen.....that contributed to the Few32 meme....

I am not aware that Pops has ever abused his players.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    IMHO Knight was a narcissist to the level of being a psychopath ....... but he was a brilliant coach as his record shows.....

as I recall at Texas Tech he overcame a second half deficit of about a dozen points to eliminate a 3 seed Gonzaga team from the Sweet Sixteen.....that contributed to the Few32 meme....

I am not aware that Pops has ever abused his players.....
    read Popovich's lips in the Danny Green encounter tells Danny to "Shut the F*** up" on the way to the bench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhMmHLO0Kgo

Nice to see Team USA play well today. I stick with my first post. This is a good USA team, and Pops is a good coach. Let this team get some practice time together, and they'll be fine. Team USA just added Middleton, who has become one of my fav players, Team USA played as a team today and it showed. 30 assists vs 5 turn overs. Id say that's good team basketball. Lillard was on fire today. And you all know he IS a great player. Durant played like a team player today. He was so different today. These guys got together and had a good talk.
    The thing I like about this team is that there are only two guys with Olympic experience. This tells me these guys are hungry. What American boy who is a basketball player doesn't dream about playing in the Olympics? I believe that little kid is in each of our players THIS YEAR. I can't wait to watch the next game. I love team USA.

Go USA!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    read Popovich's lips in the Danny Green encounter tells Danny to "Shut the F*** up" on the way to the bench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhMmHLO0Kgo
    meh, not so bad. They're grown men and paid professionals, not amateurs on a school team. Competitive people can get abrasive during high pressure situations.

Also, Pop didn't lay hands on anyone AFAIK, unlike Bob Knight.

Knights antics also included throwing a chair onto the court, threatening a school official, and going after a student who was with the campus paper IIRC. Not aware of anything similar for Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Nice to see Team USA play well today. I stick with my first post. This is a good USA team, and Pops is a good coach. Let this team get some practice time together, and they'll be fine. Team USA just added Middleton, who has become one of my fav players, Team USA played as a team today and it showed. 30 assists vs 5 turn overs. Id say that's good team basketball. Lillard was on fire today. And you all know he IS a great player. Durant played like a team player today. He was so different today. These guys got together and had a good talk.
    The thing I like about this team is that there are only two guys with Olympic experience. This tells me these guys are hungry. What American boy who is a basketball player doesn't dream about playing in the Olympics? I believe that little kid is in each of our players THIS YEAR. I can't wait to watch the next game. I love team USA.

Go USA!!!
    Bornie, Iran is like a D4 team.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Knights antics also included throwing a chair onto the court, threatening a school official, and going after a student who was with the campus paper IIRC. Not aware of anything similar for Pop.
    He was a mutt who should’ve been bounced a decade earlier. He was 10x worse than Mike Rice, the Rutgers POS lunatic, who’s now coaching 4th graders in south Jersey.

Pop's coaching has apparently improved......funny how making shots improves coaching....

Pop's coaching has apparently improved......funny how making shots improves coaching....
    Why didn't he tell his guys to make shots earlier? Jeez, talk about bad coaching...

Team USA's defense against Australia was horrific in the first half of the semifinal. I fell asleep, but the 3rd quarter suggests that defense carried the day (they allowed only 10 points to Australia in the 3rd quarter). I agree that shots do need to fall, because they run barely any offense.

Live by the three....die by the three.....scares me......I much prefer Gonzaga's transition and inside game......

I see that not many posters are saying much today. I am so proud of this USA team, and I am glad that they have shut up a lot of you guys who have criticized Pops and this team. This USA team has shown that it's as good as any before. And here is what I want to say to all you who have put down this team.

1. This team does has a go to player, Kevin Durant; and Kevin has led this team as well as any great player in the past. You may not like him, but if you were brave enough to watch this tournament, you can not criticize him for anything: for his defense, for his passing and rebounding, for his scoring and shot making, for his leadership. In this tourney he has been as good as any other Olympian who has played in the past.

2. This team does not let their egos interfere with team, winning basketball. This group of players HAS PLAYED AS A TEAM. AND IT'S been as beautiful to watch as any team I've watched. This team passes and shares the ball. Holiday is a great penetrator and assist man, and so is Durant. Both of these guys have been great play-makers throughout the tournament.

3. This team has played GREAT defense when they needed to. Example: holding Ausralia to 10 points in the 3rd quarter. They won by 20 (were behind by 3 at the half) and could have won by 30. To beat Australia by 30 points in one half is pretty damn good basketball.
    4. Obviously Pops has done a great job with this team. Whatever he has done as a coach has worked. You don't make it to the finals of the Olympics by being a bad coach.

The USA has not played their best basketball in the first halves of their last two games, but have come out in the second half and blown both teams away. I now see how you put a great team together without a center...this is the kind of team that Pops created that would do just that. They have great penetrators, and great shooters. They have guys who can handle the ball and beat their man one on one. And on defense, their quickness to help out and defend has been incredible as there has not been a center yet who has dominated them.

I have not been a big fan of Kevin Durant over the years, but I have changed my mind thanks to watching him play in this tournament. IMO, he has been incredible, and unstoppable. He has NOT been selfish in the least, yet when his leadership and skills to score have been needed he has buried opponents with his shooting ability. I have enjoyed his game as much as I have enjoyed any NBA player who has played in the Olympics. And I totally believe that Kevin, and every other player on this team has been playing for their country. Like so many of us, they do love their country and it has showed in this Olympics. I have not enjoyed this thread very much, and in ways I have not understood all the negative criticisms. I do not feel that this thread has been representative of most Gonzaga basketball fans in the least. I'm hoping for one more victory tonight. I'm really excited. And they get to play France again, who is the team that beat us in our first game. I believe this game will show you how improved the USA team is, and how having time to practice and play together for a couple of weeks has really helped. We must remember that when France beat us, Holiday, Booker and Middleton had not practiced with the team, and actually Middleton was not even there yet to play with the team. So we'll see the difference a couple of weeks has made tonight.

Go USA!

Reborn for the win! I agree with everything you wrote.

Live by the three....die by the three.....scares me......I much prefer Gonzaga's transition and inside game......
    +1

"He mostly just feeds the negative feelings I have for him already"
    "Popovich should have retired years ago."
    "Pops been a jerk for years. - Pops just wore out his welcome IMO
    "Embarrassing effort and result. I’m not thinking they will win it all. My money on Australia Spain or Slovenia"
    "Who cares. Pop was a jerk decades before his political views became known."
    "He started being a boor well before COVID and the Howard Hughes hairdo"
    "And yes, Pop is an extremely rude person to people that are just trying to do their job."
    "Popovich suffered first men’s basketball loss in Olympics since 2004 and takes it out on reporter….nuff said"

Yes, enough said.

Fun thread! Thanks to all for your insights!

Quite the thread to check out after the last week. Kevin Durant most certainly is not a wuss. One of the best players ever and a good leader, too. The best scorer of the basketball to ever play. This was far from a normal Olympics—many decided it wasn’t worth it to travel across the world and abide by the strict regulations. KD had as good of a reason as anyone not to play—two years removed from an Achilles tear, coming off an extremely high usage stretch, and gearing up for a title run next year. If he stays home, USA probably doesn’t medal.

College basketball is very different from the NBA and on a college board that can lead to quite a few ridiculous comments. As a fan of both, I try to just shrug them off but makes for some entertainment. The “abusive” interaction between Pop and a player described above is truly not a big deal in the league.

It takes time for a team to gel with players who have not played together and are playing different roles in a game with different rules. The refs are instructed to call the game in a much different way than the NBA—most of which I like better in FIBA. We saw how much Dame struggled the entire time, to the point they had to float a story about him being hurt after it wrapped up (not saying he is or isn’t, but that definitely came from his camp). It was fun to see the team really play good defense when it needed to, led by Draymond and Jrue but also KD in the medal round. It’s harder than people think to show up and beat experienced international teams at their game. Not as hard when you run out lineups USA did in 08, 12, and 16, but this team has a lot to be proud of with the way it came together.

Congratulations to the team ....the players and the coaches......... yes they did it for their Country ......I doubt a college team would have won a game........ there might be a role for a back to the basket five in the NBA.....especially if he can make free throws.....

Congratulations to the team ....the players and the coaches......... yes they did it for their Country ......I doubt a college team would have won a game........ there might be a role for a back to the basket five in the NBA.....especially if he can make free throws.....
    All depends if that 5 can hold his own on switches defensively or at least play pick and roll adequately against the guys you can defend with drop coverage.

Congrats to the USA Olympic team. I really enjoyed watching you. IMO it was beautiful basketball most of the time. Congrats to Pops and all the coaches. You guys did a great job. Congrats to Kevin Durant, the MVP of the tournament. It was truly great watching you play.

Outside of the NBA playoffs, I don't watch or follow the NBA much; so for me it was cool to watch guys like Lillard, Tatum, Lillard, Lavine, and Adabayo. Out of this group I enjoyed watching Tatum the most. He is a very talented player in every way. Thank you to the whole team. You represented US basketball really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Congrats to the USA Olympic team. I really enjoyed watching you. IMO it was beautiful basketball most of the time. Congrats to Pops and all the coaches. You guys did a great job. Congrats to Kevin Durant, the MVP of the tournament. It was truly great watching you play.

Outside of the NBA playoffs, I don't watch or follow the NBA much; so for me it was cool to watch guys like Lillard, Tatum, Lillard, Lavine, and Adabayo. Out of this group I enjoyed watching Tatum the most. He is a very talented player in every way. Thank you to the whole team. You represented US basketball really, really well.
    I'm a Tatum fan too. He's very fun to watch. And only 23 years old!