Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 and BYU

Default Big 12 and BYU

Strong indications Texas and Oklahoma are considering a move to the SEC. next 48 hours are critical, sources say. BYU is considered a string candidate for the big 12 if this were to happen.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...homa-texas-sec
    Last edited by ZagsObserver; 07-22-2021 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Link

How many times can the Big 12 string BYU along? It's happened at least twice already. And would moving to the Big 12 if Texas and Oklahoma left even be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    How many times can the Big 12 string BYU along? It's happened at least twice already. And would moving to the Big 12 if Texas and Oklahoma left even be worth it?
    If Oklahoma and/or Texas chooses to leave, every other school in the conference will try to get out. Most of them will not be offered space in the other power conferences. Whatever’s left will look a lot like the AAC or the Mountain West.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

The Big 12 will not be the same with UT and OU out of the picture. The conference still has viability as a FB conference but I see them picking up two schools or staying pat...the two of the schools could come from either Houston, BYU or possibly BSU.

If they stay pat, they would be a super strong Bball conference too but by adding either of those schools, they will have OSU, WVU, TT, ISU and still be stronger than the MWC or AAC in football and still be a top three Bball conference...IMO

I hope so....they never belonged in the WCC and it has been a huge embarrassment for them.....their rivals have been merciless on them for their lack of success in a church league with high school gyms......

Good by and good luck and don't let the door hit you in the butt if you leave.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I hope so....they never belonged in the WCC and it has been a huge embarrassment for them.....their rivals have been merciless on them for their lack of success in a church league with high school gyms......

Good by and good luck and don't let the door hit you in the butt if you leave.....
    Complete opposite sentiment here. Roth and Few would see this as a huge loss. I’ll side with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Complete opposite sentiment here. Roth and Few would see this as a huge loss. I’ll side with them.
    Yeah - as much as we like to crap on BYU and their fanbase they are a really good program and it would certainly be a huge loss for them to leave.

A BYU move the the Big12 would be like Boise State’s move to the MWC. They would be holding the door open for everyone leaving as the step in.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    A BYU move the the Big12 would be like Boise State’s move to the MWC. They would be holding the door open for everyone leaving as the step in.
    Sorry kitz don't quite get the analogy here - are you saying if BYU bolted that would be an invite for other WCC teams to leave? Or that some other team would be waiting in the wings to join?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Sorry kitz don't quite get the analogy here - are you saying if BYU bolted that would be an invite for other WCC teams to leave? Or that some other team would be waiting in the wings to join?
    I take it as saying BYU would be arriving to the Big 12 too late, just like BSU was too late joining the MWC. WCC isn't involved in the analogy.

The roomer from here in SEC country is that the TV contracts are all up in 2025, same year that the rumor is NCAA is going to 12 team playoff in football.

Big conferences expected to form 4 super conferences for TV deals.

Texas and Oklahom have their pick between SEC and Pac

BUT, Big 12 is strongest basketball conference except perhaps ACC, and thus there will be a push to add BYU and either Boise State or bring Nebraska badk (not happy in BiG). Additionally talk of Notre Damn going full time to a real conference in Football, (Partly in ACC now), take entire program to Big 10 or entire program to ACC.

Realisgnment is inevetible and the bigger the TV money the bigger the conference can command. NIL money also playing a role for schools to be in the biggest conference possible.

But bit still has Barolor, Kansas, Texas Tech, in Basketball, which is big.

The whole thing is humiliating for Texas, they were sure that they were Texas and could carry a conference on their own, and own TV network. The "We're Texas" thing didn't work that well.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

--My head

--My heart

Ultimately, I would want what's best for BYU. I imagine that they want to be in a football conference.

Sooooo....time to start up rumor mill regarding the Zags? How are they affected by all of this? If BYU bolts (which is a massive ? as to if they'll receive an invite) the WCC is basically looking at being a 1-bid league again with the occasional outlier year.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    --My head

--My heart
    This is exactly how I feel..

Looks like the sec move is more likely than not:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aking-sec-move

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I take it as saying BYU would be arriving to the Big 12 too late, just like BSU was too late joining the MWC. WCC isn't involved in the analogy.
    Correcto. The Big12 will be on the serious decline. Bad time to join.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

When the Sonics left town, I quit the NBA. When college football became Southeastern centric, I lost interest. The NFL has changed so much, I don't even recognize the game anymore.

And now......the apocalypse slams into college basketball.

I will enjoy the next couple of Zag seasons for all they are worth and then hang it up. I will think of it similarly to a family member in hospice.

I think I am just about done with sports in general. For the price of admission and travel, I can buy a decent PC gaming computer and get many, many more hours of interactive entertainment. I don't like how sports, in general, have evolved. I don't like how the sporting world has embraced gambling (Preserving a squeaky clean, ethical image was once critical to the business model and now it is just a matter of time until a huge scandal hits the front page). I don't like how sports media coverage has evolved. I don't like how marketing emphasis has shifted from teams to individuals. I don't like the administrative chaos within college athletics where the ruling body has shifted from NCAA President to SEC Commissioner (It won't just stop there. I foresee a "Game of Thrones" situation with the Texas/Alabama/Oklahoma/Auburn Athletic Directors all conniving for the largest shares of television revenue). It is obvious that TV money is the real trophy. That the ratings winner is the real national champion. The reality show format has overtaken athletic departments and I'm in to watching games, not "Survivor".

I am just about done. With all of it.

When the Southeastern United States is inevitably imposed upon me as a primary rooting interest (pro or otherwise), I am completely done for sure. I don't give a Rat's *** who wins in that region of the country and the associated, mythical "national title" that they will market along with it. If market forces dictate that all of the fans (and money) are in that part of the country then let them have it all. All the glory, all the money, all the media. It all just reminds me of this......

Luke 20:24-26 24--"Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?" "Caesar's," they replied. He said to them, "Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."
    Give to the SEC what is in their image. And then just walk away.
    Last edited by MickMick; 07-24-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

- well i'm not nearly as turned off as you are mickmick, but i take your point. sports is getting to be a bit of a turn off for me too.

- i have said here a few times before, i foresee the power 5 leagues taking over, the ncaa dies, and schools like gonzaga are going to be left out in the cold.

- yes enjoy the next few years, maybe the best and last years of gonzaga on the national scene.

Sports are more than entertainment, they bring communities together like nothing else can......whether that is a Country, a State, a City or a School...... I actually get chills when I hear the Start Spangled Banner at the Olympics......That huge throng in Milwaukee contained people of all ages, races, religions, even politics....

It does not bother me a bit if the athletes are getting paid or if they are protesting......or if some moron gets carried away and does something stupid and reckless....the great majority of the people are there to celebrate together...

Sports are more than entertainment, they bring communities together like nothing else can......whether that is a Country, a State, a City or a School...... I actually get chills when I hear the Start Spangled Banner at the Olympics......That huge throng in Milwaukee contained people of all ages, races, religions, even politics....

It does not bother me a bit if the athletes are getting paid or if they are protesting......or if some moron gets carried away and does something stupid and reckless....the great majority of the people are there to celebrate together...
    You're so evolved, Bart, I'm envious. But I am with Mickx2. Other that the Zags and other CBB entities and coaches, I am pretty much done w NBA, NFL, MLB.....even the condensed, red zone iterations of those sports aren't interesting enough to hold my attention. The salaries, egos, dramas of the pro players has been a turn off for years. The total co-opting of the sports media by monied interests has been as well. From Wo to SAS, the electronic media is a bore. Once a respite, even scholastic sports has been corrupted. Sad state of affairs. Perfect metaphor for the decay is the current Pan-Olympics; money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You're so evolved, Bart, I'm envious. But I am with Mickx2. Other that the Zags and other CBB entities and coaches, I am pretty much done w NBA, NFL, MLB.....even the condensed, red zone iterations of those sports aren't interesting enough to hold my attention. The salaries, egos, dramas of the pro players has been a turn off for years. The total co-opting of the sports media by monied interests has been as well. From Wo to SAS, the electronic media is a bore. Once a respite, even scholastic sports has been corrupted. Sad state of affairs. Perfect metaphor for the decay is the current Pan-Olympics; money talks.
    +1, jazz. I've been done with pro sports for the last couple of years. I'm pretty much down to the Zags, and old Zags playing in the NBA and MLB. I've even considered a trip to Nashville to drop in on Rick Sweet. That will have to wait until next year, as I'm back working again. Just had to get out of the house.

One would think that DFW is one of the greatest areas in the nation for sports: HS football, 4 major colleges, every professional sport you can think of. Instead, sports media is focused 75% on the Dallas Cowboys, who IMO are more representative as America's Team as ever before. They're the "most valuable" franchise in the world, yet they haven't gone to a divisional championship game in over 25 years. Their "team" consists of 53 individuals focused more on their individual brands than they are on winning.

No, no, no...just give me the Zags and what they represent: excellence on and off the court, a true team in every sense of the word. It's Corey calling out to my grandson, "get on down here, Dillon!", after the Virginia game...it's Big D meeting GoZags and his family after rocking it at halftime in Nashville, etc. Gonzaga basketball is a wonderful journey that fills our lives for 6-7 months a year.

MickMick, I am also with you. I watch NBA, pretty much only if old zags are playing. I sometimes watch a Seattle football game. I watch all GU games and some other NCAA games. and I watch golf. College sports are now just pro sports like the minor league baseball is.

Default Big 12 and BYU

Strong indications Texas and Oklahoma are considering a move to the SEC. next 48 hours are critical, sources say. BYU is considered a string candidate for the big 12 if this were to happen.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...homa-texas-sec
    Doubt the B12 is conference still exists if these two left. It sounds like Texas may not be able to move if the State Legislature has its way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Vulture; 07-25-2021 at 08:34 AM.

I'm with Mick too, big time, and his specific reasons, and I don't have a relationship to those other leagues either; I watched some NBA finals with my son because he was watching if that counts. The sports process from soup to nuts is now so #######ized with greed.

Soccer is the greedy same, but no commercials!! I have found that to be an awesome feature to watching it over all these years that crushes other sport viewing options (even the Zags tho I mute that crap).

All that said, I'm also with a lot of what bart is saying, specifically the power of sports to unite communities, to unite people...just to unite! Even today. And I have no issue with players expressing themselves just as, oh, sayyyyyyy, how politicians or 'news' personalities do. And the part about don't let the door hit you on the way out (my heart too)