Thread: STILL pinching myself after a coupla decades I couldn't have dreamed up ... ever

Default STILL pinching myself after a coupla decades I couldn't have dreamed up ... ever

Those of us that have been around "awhile" could never have dreamed of reading a comment like this ... swiped from the Minnesota Golden Gopher Board.
    ------------
    It is tough to attract Minnesota in-state recruits to the hometown program. The Gophers did not win very many titles or appear frequently in tournament games. This may weigh on the in-state recruits sitting on the fence. The top players who are highly rated will gravitate to Duke, Gonzaga, etc...
    Does Gopher Basketball have a curse? Are there any dead bodies buried under Williams Arena?

The NCAA was not too kind to Gopher Men's Basketball. Clem Haskins and a certain booster left deep wounds.

The Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball is not the UNC Tarheels program. They just don't have savoir-faire in front of the NCAA kangaroo judges. They have no big powerful political interests backing them. The UNC Tarheels spun a web around the NCAA better than a spider would.

The NCAA vacated the Gophers NIT and NCAA records of the Clem Haskins Era and years before that. This is according to the Coachesdatabase.com website. Somewhere, there were admissions of impermissible benefits before the Clem Haskins years. Is this correct?
    Post-Season:​
    National Championships: 0
    Final Four Appearances: 0
    Sweet Sixteen Appearances: 3 (1982, 1989, 1990) **
    NCAA Tournament Appearances: 10 (1982, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2019) **
    NCAAT Overall Record: 8-10 **
    NIT Championships: 2 (1993, 2014) **
    NIT Appearances: 13 (1973, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014) **
    NIT Overall Record: 27-11 **
    Premo-Porretta National Championships: 2 (1901, 1902)
    Helms Foundation National Championships: 2 (1902, 1919)
    Conference Titles (Big Ten):​
    Big Ten Regular Season Championships: 8 (1906, 1907, 1911, 1917, 1919, 1937, 1972, 1982) **
    Big Ten Tournament Championships: 0
    ** Vacated by the NCAA

It seems unfair that the NCAA expunged the records before the Clem Haskins Era. The NCAA really dug deep. Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball is not the UNC Tarheels. In the case of the Tarheels, the NCAA does not want to bite the hands that feed it.

It is tough to attract Minnesota in-state recruits to the hometown program. The Gophers did not win very many titles or appear frequently in tournament games. This may weigh on the in-state recruits sitting on the fence. The top players who are highly rated will gravitate to Duke, Gonzaga, etc...

Gopher Men's Basketball is a tough gig. It was even tough for Coach Tuby Smith who won a national title at Kentucky.

I have great memories of the Musselman and Dutcher Eras. No NCAA expungement can take that away.

We have to give Ben Johnson a chance. He already has a tall order even before his first game as a head coach is played. Maybe this hire is the secret sauce that will reverse the curse.

This is straight-up roulette odds hiring a coach with no head coaching experience. He will redefine the Gopher Basketball Brand to one of tenacious defense and high octane offense. That is my hope. I am all-in on his number pick. What is there to lose?
    https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-climb.101996/

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Can't imagine what it's like for those who go back before the 1999 run.

For me, started following closely in the early 2000s. And it's still insane. Have to enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Can't imagine what it's like for those who go back before the 1999 run.

For me, started following closely in the early 2000s. And it's still insane. Have to enjoy every minute of it.
    I think about that same thing. I'm right there with you, as an 'early 2000's' guy. I can't imagine following this team when they were 'nobody'. Here we are, 20-25 years later, and they've ascended to one of the very best, and most consistent, and most dangerous programs in the NATION. It's bizarre, if you think about it.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Gonzaga is just different. When we weren't good, we still loved the team. In 95, I remember we made the NCAA tournament and even though we lost, we had high hopes . So a few years later, we're off and running with that impossible E8 run. In many ways, that run never stopped. As the years unfold, I've become somewhat like Bart.....no matter who it we're playing, I expect we
    ll being home a "V". As all experts have said, this ascendancy to top 5 program probably will never be reproduced. Every year, when we get into a tight spot, I still get that other worldly feeling that there more at play here than just a college basketball team. Don't know but I do love the kids and I do love the ride. Somebody explain to me how this could possibly happen without intervention!! Feels like we are in a movie where the little guy come up long despite all odds against him...except this isn't a movie. It happens and has happened in real life.

We are long passed there being a “next Gonzaga.” It’ll never happen again. The people who deserve credit for what’s happened here don’t get enough of it.

I wouldn’t think the Musselman thug era would be romanticized by most intelligent Golden Gopher fans.

On January 25, 1972 the Gophers ignited one of the worst displays of sportsmanship ever.…

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/56...e-been-with-us

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I wouldn’t think the Musselman thug era would be romanticized by most intelligent Golden Gopher fans.

On January 25, 1972 the Gophers ignited one of the worst displays of sportsmanship ever.…

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/56...e-been-with-us
    I was at that game, 14 years old at the time, and seated on the baseline. It was ugly

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    I was at that game, 14 years old at the time, and seated on the baseline. It was ugly
    No doubt. Sports Illustrated’s coverage, as graphic as it was, probably didn’t convey the true picture of Musselman’s creation of such a thug ethic that manifested itself that day. I knew as a New Yorker that Ron Behagen the chief stomper was a rough kid on his way to a criminal career but no idea that sainted Winfield was no peach either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Behagen

Living the dream, at every step and every level of ascendency along the way. From Adrian and the team trucking around campus with a megaphone to get students to the gym for a game, to Fitz and paying maybe $12 for a ticket to get into Toso pavilion or St Mary’s and walk over and sit in the front row behind the player bench, with my then 8 and 6 year old, to taking my CYO 5th grade team into the locker room after a game, to Fr. Tony visits, to Few changing the tone and tenor of the team, to Chewbacca and Rillie, to the first tourney birth… I still have the last piece of net left on the rim after the zags cut it down…and you know the rest of the story….In the words of Fr. Tony….to be continued…

Couldn't have dreamed of watching the Olympic opening ceremony and seeing a former Zag player (Rui) carrying the flag for his country. Then catching up on a recording of Kimmel Live after the NBA championship game 5 to see Suggs and Ayayi compete in a skit against Texas players. Wow.

Great comments guys. I was a 1999 run fan but it’s great to hear from you who were here before that and can speak to the time I didn’t know a zog from a zag. Still in 1999 wouldn’t have ever imagined this ascension.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewey View Post
    Couldn't have dreamed of watching the Olympic opening ceremony and seeing a former Zag player (Rui) carrying the flag for his country. Then catching up on a recording of Kimmel Live after the NBA championship game 5 to see Suggs and Ayayi compete in a skit against Texas players. Wow.
    Proud of both of these guys …

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Proud of both of these guys …

How cool. Thanks for posting.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

No mask can hide Rui's world-class smile.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    How cool. Thanks for posting.
    Wait Ronny isn’t playing for france right?

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Wait Ronny isn’t playing for france right?
    The pic had to be from a previous Olympics. He retired a few years ago, which doesn't mean he couldn't be playing the Olympics, but don't think he is. Not sure how to post a pic, but this link has an interview with Ronny from January. Great pic of him. He sure looks retired in it!

https://www.tellerreport.com/sports/...17vXVLDbU.html

Last edited by GoZags; 07-24-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added classic pic of Ronny (who played in ‘12 London Olympics)