Thread: Boxing Smokers

Default Boxing Smokers

Does anyone here remember the Boxing Smokers that were held at, I think, Gonzaga Prep? I don't think it was GU, but I can't recall. Did they sell tickets? Was it a school sponsored event? Was it between students or ???

Anyone have any info on it? I have a vague recollection of going to them but either I was too young or too, well, too...
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

I attended several boxing smokers held on GU's campus ( Fall 75 - Spring 79 ) and they were held at Kennedy Pavilion. Good rowdy time. Bouts were between students. . .there were "Round Card Girls," seconds in the corners, referees. . .the whole schmeer. Could smoke a cigar too. I could dig out the yearbook and name some of the pugilists but I'm not that ambitious. . .I'm on vacation. . .

We used to have 'em in the basement of DeSmet. I think I got concussed once.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I remember a couple at the COG (second floor, the dining room) in the late 1960s. No round card girls or seconds, just a couple of guys bashing each other brutally. I took my dad once and he enjoyed it but I thought it was barbaric.