Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT- Anyone sending their kid to the zags basketball camp? (Aug 5-7) Questions

Default OT- Anyone sending their kid to the zags basketball camp? (Aug 5-7) Questions

I'm very seriously considering coming from St. Louis out to Spokane so Woohoo Jr. can attend basketball camp. I believe this would be his last opportunity to come to camp, as he is heading to 7th grade.

First, have any of you sent little's to camp before? I assume they loved it. Is the camp closed to spectators? I'm just not sure what I'd do from 9-5 while he is at camp!! haha. Do players help out with drills/camp? He would absolutely flip.

Are there any cheap hotels near the MAC? (I'm assuming camp is held there at the MAC?)
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Woohoo, it would be so neat if you enrolled your youngster in this camp! I'd love to hear your take on the experience!

CK get likeness bucks for that promo?

How far would this be from the MAC?

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

First, have any of you sent little's to camp before?
    Not this camp, but I sent my 8th grade self to a weeklong camp at Green Lake, Pa., operated by Jack Kraft, the legendary Villanova coach. Cost 80 bucks, a lot in 1968. My sole reason for living in those days was to move up from 7th man on the 8th grade team and start the next yr. Six weeks of my paper route money covered my half, and mom and dad kicked in the other half.

It's probably the second best memory of my childhood, only behind our trip home from Japan in 1961 (Dad was a Lutheran missionary in the '50's) by ship via Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Bombay, Cairo, Rome, by train up to Sweden/Norway and ship across the Atlantic to NY.

53 years after that camp I can't remember what I learned about basketball, but the cool thing was having grown up mostly in lily white small towns, I got some lessons in culture. There were older scholarship kids from around the city that Kraft was trying to recruit, and they'd play on the lighted court w/ bleachers (outdoors) at night. Afterwards some of the black kids from Philly would be sitting around going back and forth with "yo momma" jokes for an hour or two. It was hysterical to those of us from prim and proper conservative little towns; we were enthralled.

My dorm counselor was a 6'5 soph wing from D2Philadelphia Testile (now Phila. College) named Jimmy McGilvery. He was totally cool w/ all of us, like a cool big brother. Textile was coached by HOF'er (800+ wins) Herb Magee, and would sometimes upset a ranked Big Five team, but they were made up of second tier local players. In March 1970 they made the D2 title game with a skinny 6-5 center, a burly 6'3 pf, Jimmy, and a couple of little guards, 5'9 and 6'2.

In those days, a lot of black kids in the south still weren't being recruited by the power conferences, and Textile's opponent was Tennessee State, with Lloyd Neal, who went on to be the main backup to Walton and Maurice Lucas on the NBA champ Trailblazers, and Ted (Hound)McCkain, who played years in the old ABA before the merger. Their guards were 6'3 and front court 6'7 or 8, and it was said they'd be top 15 in D1. So a year and a half later Im listening to the title game on local radio, and little Textile controls the tempo, shoots like 73% w/ a handful of turnovers, manages not to get killed on the boards, and wins a nat'l title as a 20 pt underdog, Knowing one of the players, it's still one of my all time favorite basketball memories.

Send your kid. It's a no-brainer. I'd have him mow a few lawns or something to pay for his half, though. He'll appreciate it more, imo.

Cannon Hill area is just a couple of miles from the MAC—maybe 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not this camp, but I sent my 8th grade self to a weeklong camp at Green Lake, Pa., operated by Jack Kraft, the legendary Villanova coach. Cost 80 bucks, a lot in 1968. My sole reason for living in those days was to move up from 7th man on the 8th grade team and start the next yr. Six weeks of my paper route money covered my half, and mom and dad kicked in the other half.

It's probably the second best memory of my childhood, only behind our trip home from Japan in 1961 (Dad was a Lutheran missionary in the '50's) by ship via Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Bombay, Cairo, Rome, by train up to Sweden/Norway and ship across the Atlantic to NY.

53 years after that camp I can't remember what I learned about basketball, but the cool thing was having grown up mostly in lily white small towns, I got some lessons in culture. There were older scholarship kids from around the city that Kraft was trying to recruit, and they'd play on the lighted court w/ bleachers (outdoors) at night. Afterwards some of the black kids from Philly would be sitting around going back and forth with "yo momma" jokes for an hour or two. It was hysterical to those of us from prim and proper conservative little towns; we were enthralled.

My dorm counselor was a 6'5 soph wing from D2Philadelphia Testile (now Phila. College) named Jimmy McGilvery. He was totally cool w/ all of us, like a cool big brother. Textile was coached by HOF'er (800+ wins) Herb Magee, and would sometimes upset a ranked Big Five team, but they were made up of second tier local players. In March 1970 they made the D2 title game with a skinny 6-5 center, a burly 6'3 pf, Jimmy, and a couple of little guards, 5'9 and 6'2.

In those days, a lot of black kids in the south still weren't being recruited by the power conferences, and Textile's opponent was Tennessee State, with Lloyd Neal, who went on to be the main backup to Walton and Maurice Lucas on the NBA champ Trailblazers, and Ted (Hound)McCkain, who played years in the old ABA before the merger. Their guards were 6'3 and front court 6'7 or 8, and it was said they'd be top 15 in D1. So a year and a half later Im listening to the title game on local radio, and little Textile controls the tempo, shoots like 73% w/ a handful of turnovers, manages not to get killed on the boards, and wins a nat'l title as a 20 pt underdog, Knowing one of the players, it's still one of my all time favorite basketball memories.

Send your kid. It's a no-brainer. I'd have him mow a few lawns or something to pay for his half, though. He'll appreciate it more, imo.
    Wow! That's very cool. Thanks for posting.

PS- I do like your idea of having him chip in the registration! I also bet he'd be happy to do so, if it meant he would be able to attend!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Cannon Hill area is just a couple of miles from the MAC—maybe 10 minutes
    Okay, great. Thank you. Found a cheap AirBnB there. It seems like a solid option at the moment.

Cool experiences last a lifetime. Material things usually don't mean nearly as much. Spend your money on doing things with your kids and allowing them to do things that create memories.

Go for it, woohoo.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

Was Honeybear Leftwich or Jim Washington a counselor? Billy Melchionni?

Is 6 years old too young?? Grandkid is already 5 ft 2 in and athletic. Too much energy!!

I'm very seriously considering coming from St. Louis out to Spokane so Woohoo Jr. can attend basketball camp. I believe this would be his last opportunity to come to camp, as he is heading to 7th grade.

First, have any of you sent little's to camp before? I assume they loved it. Is the camp closed to spectators? I'm just not sure what I'd do from 9-5 while he is at camp!! haha. Do players help out with drills/camp? He would absolutely flip.

Are there any cheap hotels near the MAC? (I'm assuming camp is held there at the MAC?)
    Hey, woohoo!

I strongly recommend taking your son to the camp. It was as close as a trip of a lifetime for all of us. My youngest son's hoop skills improved greatly during the camp, and he still talks about playing Josh Perkins one on one. I've probably bored everyone on the site with Big D's exploits, and the beginning of his friendship with Corey Kispert. My wife caught Zag fever, albeit briefly...she spent a lot of time, and money, in the Gonzaga Bookstore.

If you're driving, I strongly recommend spending a day or two at Yellowstone NP. It won't be cheap, the most reasonable hotel I found was in Cody, about an hour from the park, but the drive to Yellowstone was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Hey, woohoo!

I strongly recommend taking your son to the camp. It was as close as a trip of a lifetime for all of us. My youngest son's hoop skills improved greatly during the camp, and he still talks about playing Josh Perkins one on one. I've probably bored everyone on the site with Big D's exploits, and the beginning of his friendship with Corey Kispert. My wife caught Zag fever, albeit briefly...she spent a lot of time, and money, in the Gonzaga Bookstore.

If you're driving, I strongly recommend spending a day or two at Yellowstone NP. It won't be cheap, the most reasonable hotel I found was in Cody, about an hour from the park, but the drive to Yellowstone was awesome.
    Enter YNP via Jackson and be ready for the Tetons, omg.

Stay here if you can.

https://www.nationalparkreservations...on-lake-lodge/

Hey, woohoo!

I actually thought of you as I was making this thread. I remembered how highly you spoke of camp, and how much EVERYBODY enjoyed it. At this point, I'd say we're about 55/45 to attend. Trying to iron out just a few details. If we CAN make it, we'll actually be flying (this is one reason the trip is a possibility....GhostZag, if you remember her from my epic trip in 2010, has incredibly offered to take care of the flight if WoohooJr and I can make everything work! So amazing....). Now, just trying to find a reasonable place to stay, somewhere close to the MAC.

Thanks for the info TZF! Hope all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Enter YNP via Jackson and be ready for the Tetons, omg.

Stay here if you can.

https://www.nationalparkreservations...on-lake-lodge/

That place looks incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Cool experiences last a lifetime. Material things usually don't mean nearly as much. Spend your money on doing things with your kids and allowing them to do things that create memories.

Go for it, woohoo.
    Giving it some VERY serious thought!!

So far, the cheapest I'm seeing is a $400 AirBnb, 2 miles from the MAC. That's not terrible. Please let me know if anyone knows of a cheap hotel right there near campus! We would be at the camp virtually all day while we're down, so it doesn't need to be anything special!

EDITED: Has anyone heard of Hotel LiveMax Nishinomiya? It's pretty cheap.

Thanks!

There is a Holiday Inn Express really close to campus - it's on Division St. - that I've stayed in before. It has a pool and free breakfast which is nice.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Search Trivago for proximity to City Centre and you will get lots of options. There is a Red Lion on 4th just east of Division that usually has good rates. The Centennial is currently advertising good rates as well, which is a bit surprising because it is a full service hotel on the river. Perhaps due to coming out of the pandemic.

Good luck!

The courtyard is close enough to walk to and from the campus. It’s on the river trail where there is a fair amount of urban camping.

That place looks incredible.
    Trust me, when you walk into the great room there are enormous windows that are filled with the Tetons it’s breathtaking. You probably can’t secure reservations this late but it’s certainly worth a visit just to take in that you view. And to have something to eat in one of the amazing restaurants.

Hey, woohoo!

One more question! Am I remembering correctly that they do autographs/pics at the end of camp? One option we're looking at....flying OUT of Spokane at 3:30pm Saturday. Camp ends at NOON that day. I definitely wouldn't want to miss autographs and whatnot. If that IS at the end of camp, do you remember much about the timing of that aspect? Thanks!

Another reason to go Woohoo is to see Spokane in the Summer! You may never want to leave. I'm back in GA after going back for the last 12 days. Hot - but totally dry heat - I'll take that any day. The PNW and Spokane are wonderful in the Summer.

Hope you get to go.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Was Honeybear Leftwich or Jim Washington a counselor? Billy Melchionni?
    I had to google Leftwich and Washington. Melchionni of course is familiar. He graduated in '66 so was 2yrs into his pro career by then. Those guys predate my time in the Philly area, which began w/ the 66'67 season.