Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT- Anyone sending their kid to the zags basketball camp? (Aug 5-7) Questions

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I had to google Leftwich and Washington. Melchionni of course is familiar. He graduated in '66 so was 2yrs into his pro career by then. Those guys predate my time in the Philly area, which began w/ the 66'67 season.
    The Big 5 Will Never Die. Loved the Jack Kraft shoutout.

SO for the campers, is 6 yrs old too young to attend??

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SO for the campers, is 6 yrs old too young to attend??
    Big D was 6 when we were up there. He got kind of bored while Nana and Opa were visiting wineries. I don't think it's too young, there will be basic instruction for those youngsters.

One of my BIL's wants to make a trip up there next year, so we can put my nephew and grandson in a camp. It's going to be tight, though...I prefer the road trip, but may not have the time for it. I'm back working again, landed in a great spot...working for the family of PrestonPlayz...I'm the cool grandpa again!

Preston now has over 30 million Youtube subscribers. If you're not familiar with him, do a search on youtube, his name will appear after you've typed in "Pres".

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I'm very seriously considering coming from St. Louis out to Spokane so Woohoo Jr. can attend basketball camp. I believe this would be his last opportunity to come to camp, as he is heading to 7th grade.

First, have any of you sent little's to camp before? I assume they loved it. Is the camp closed to spectators? I'm just not sure what I'd do from 9-5 while he is at camp!! haha. Do players help out with drills/camp? He would absolutely flip.

Are there any cheap hotels near the MAC? (I'm assuming camp is held there at the MAC?)
    Our grandson went several years ago and had Kelly O as his coach. Nate wound up playing baseball but he still talks about the camp and Kelly on occasion. (he's 18 now) The kids are treated so well.
    Last edited by zagbeliever; 07-15-2021 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo

I did the overnight camp in 8th grade, Bankhead was my coach. Amazing memories I won’t ever forget.

Do you what you have to make it happen. Did the father/son camp many years ago Ammo, Ronny, Mallon, Raivio, etc.. were the counselors and it was a blast. I have several friends who have sent their kids in recent years and they can't say enough good things. I have sent my daughter to their soccer camps which have been excellent. You will not regret sending your son.

Does anyone know the actual link for information about this year's camp? I've been googling, but keep finding prior year's info.
    And found it:

http://gonzagabasketballcamps.com/

My kid is 11 and he's done the camp twice and enjoyed it both times. They could do a lot better with their coach to player ratio, but that was my only real criticism about the experience. We're planning to attend again this summer.
    Regarding housing...decent hotels around campus can get pricey. I would definitely recommend going the airbnb route if you don't mind the commute (no commute is very long in Spokane though). Good luck with the trip planning.

Hey Woohoo, Is it trip past your mothers old house on the agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    I did the overnight camp in 8th grade, Bankhead was my coach. Amazing memories I won’t ever forget.
    My son did the overnight camp 4 years ago. He had a blast, no Mom or Dad hovering nearby for 3 days. The boys were well supervised.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    My kid is 11 and he's done the camp twice and enjoyed it both times. They could do a lot better with their coach to player ratio, but that was my only real criticism about the experience. We're planning to attend again this summer.
    Regarding housing...decent hotels around campus can get pricey. I would definitely recommend going the airbnb route if you don't mind the commute (no commute is very long in Spokane though). Good luck with the trip planning.
    We stayed at the Holiday Inn (Select IIRC) near the campus, on Division. I don't recall the rate as being too expensive, and it was close to campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Hey Woohoo, Is it trip past your mothers old house on the agenda?
    Next time I get to Spokane, YES, absolutely on the agenda! (If you would be so kind as to show the way!)

It’s starting to look like this zags-camp trip may not work. Unfortunately. It’s not a done deal, but the odds are starting to tip away from me.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Is 6 years old too young?? Grandkid is already 5 ft 2 in and athletic. Too much energy!!
    Your 6 year year old grandson is not 5'2"

What's the issue.?? I measured him 2 week ago.. lol Dad is 6 ft 5 and mom is 6 ft 1. He's shooting up

New. Right downtown. Fairly inexpensive.
    https://www.stayriverfrontpark.com/

What's the issue.?? I measured him 2 week ago.. lol Dad is 6 ft 5 and mom is 6 ft 1. He's shooting up
    I think some might be skeptical because that’s on pace to be a LOT taller than 6’5”. That’s ahead of where the kid from Ellensburg (tallest teenager in the world at 7’8”) was at the same age (5’1”). It’s possible, but I would double check that measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    We stayed at the Holiday Inn (Select IIRC) near the campus, on Division. I don't recall the rate as being too expensive, and it was close to campus.
    Rooms at the HI start north of $200 per night that weekend (not including tax/fees). Its not budget breaking expensive necessarily, but still pricey for a standard room. Maybe some of you high rollers can cover Woohooos accommodations for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    Rooms at the HI start north of $200 per night that weekend (not including tax/fees). Its not budget breaking expensive necessarily, but still pricey for a standard room. Maybe some of you high rollers can cover Woohooos accommodations for the week.

I’ve been the recipient of some INCREDIBLE generosity over the years at the hands of a few board members. As much as I appreciate that thought, I’ve already been more blessed than I deserve! I appreciate that thought though! If people are looking to drop some $$ in the name of zags-fandom, it should be on someone who has never had the chance to experience a zags game or something.

It’s looking like I may have to try and be planning ahead for NEXT years camp. This one just kind of snuck up on me… Unfortunately.

We should be taking up a collect for our long term friend. Whether this i
    Or next year, I’ll cover one night. And so it goes... $200.
    It’s not the money guys. It’s more about the lives we live. Best regards to Woohoo...

I lived in Spokane from 1995-2010. I’m going to bring my nine year old over for the camp. Are parents allowed to watch at all? If I need to burn two days in Spokane while waiting for him each day, any suggestions? Anything new I should check out? What about each night after camp - anything me and my son should see while we are in town?

We should be taking up a collect for our long term friend. Whether this i
    Or next year, I’ll cover one night. And so it goes... $200.
    It’s not the money guys. It’s more about the lives we live. Best regards to Woohoo...
    DOC!!

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    DOC!!
    FWIW, Abe paid for lunch at Jack & Dan’s 4 summers ago. I’m still waiting for him to make a trip to DFW, so I can repay the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    FWIW, Abe paid for lunch at Jack & Dan’s 4 summers ago. I’m still waiting for him to make a trip to DFW, so I can repay the favor.
    That doesn't surprise me! Some of the people on this board are just unbelievable. I try to keep a running tab in my head of who I 'owe' beers and favors to. So far, my list is at about 30. HAH!

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I lived in Spokane from 1995-2010. I’m going to bring my nine year old over for the camp. Are parents allowed to watch at all? If I need to burn two days in Spokane while waiting for him each day, any suggestions? Anything new I should check out? What about each night after camp - anything me and my son should see while we are in town?
    Go see the Spokane Indians if they are in town! Fun to watch. Go down to Riverfront Park and walk around and do some of the rides.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Still trying to see if I can make this work. One thing that could help....flying back home SATURDAY after camp instead of staying until Sunday.

Here's my question though- Camp ends at NOON on Saturday. There's a flight out of Spokane at 3:45pm that afternoon. From what I've been told, the airport is not far from campus at all. Would we have to leave for the MAC at.....what....1:30ish? To be safe?

If camp ends at noon, would we have plenty of time for autographs/photo-ops if we had to leave at 1:30? If any of you have attended that portion of post-camp activities, do you remember the timing of any of that?