• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoko13
    Bulldog Fan
    • Apr 2018

Impressions of Chet after watching FIBA

After watching Chet in FIBA a couple things stand out to me:

1) Chet's High IQ on the court is obvious -- seems to be able to play (offensively) anywhere on the floor and be comfortable;
    2) Smart team defense player --- he's a good helper and might set the single season blocks records -- also plays within himself and doesn't pick up stupid fouls --- did I mention the shot contest ability on the perimeter which is unreal;
    3) His playmaking might be his best and most underrated skill - great high/low passer and great at hitting the back door pass --- seems like he's rather make a play for someone else vs. iso and score for himself -- real team player;
    4) He is doesn't get too high or too low --- he is never rattled -- just trusts his game and plays hard --- I like how hard he runs in transition;
    5) Might be the ULTIMATE GLUE GUY -- and this is no knock -- he's the kind of guy who's mere presence (and high skill in every area) will really elevate every other guy on the floor;

Projected stats at GU: 14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg (would be higher if he hunted off rebs but he is a perimeter player and prefers to space and shoot 3's ala Tillie), 4.1 apg, 1.4 spg, and 2.2 bpg --- 67% from 2pt and 37% from 3 and 84% from the line.

Chet is going to do it all and will have some monster games --- could easily see a triple double or two, along with a couple 20/20 pt/reb games.

Can't wait to see how it plays out with him this year!!

Curious what others see as his projected numbers this coming year....
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Watching the clip vs Canada when he's leading the break & executes a behind-the-back bounce pass; I literally laughed out loud.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

A highly skilled, unselfish dervish with the ball, and a game changer on defense..

Comment

• MickMick
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Remember the Kelley Olynyk story coming in? A point guard as a youngster that grew out of his position and had to learn a new skill set consummate with his new length? It took a redshirt, but Kelley became the first (of a short list) of Zags that put up historically good efficiency stats at the D1 level as a center (primary post player). Further, albeit shy of Stockton's legendary NBA status, Kelley has been one of the most successful NBA players of Zag pedigree.

After winning at Santa Clara last night, No. 10 Gonzaga improved 15-1 on the season, with a pair of road wins to kick off WCC play.

Chet is roughly that same story coming in except that he didn't grow out of his position. He is still a guard in a center's body. I actually believe that if he demanded to play the guard position as a prerequisite to committing, there are several high major institutions that would have accommodated him.

Now ponder an "Olynyk" equivalent level of player development for Chet. Except, there will be no redshirt for Holmgren. He will be gone before we see the full "Olynyk" equivalent transition. Regardless, what he brings to the table for just one year is still next level and I expect his efficiency stats to top both Olynyk and Clarke. In other words, historically good offensive efficiency statistics. Remember that Olynyk and Clarke were not freshman when they put up those amazingly efficient seasons.

And then you add Timme to the offensive efficiency equation...........................
        Last edited by MickMick; 07-11-2021, 08:42 PM.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Chet is like that ridiculous imaginary player you create in a video game that does everything well, with every attribute cranked up to 9 or 10. He is a really good shooter who is tall and can get his shot off on anybody, with the skills to not only drive by you and get to the hoop if you close out too hard, but also has enough balls skills to break someone you with his dribble (see: the Steph Curry highlight on Youtube or wherever). He's unselfish and sees the floor well, too, so if help comes, he will find an open player. And, as mentioned already, he seems to have the ability to guard positions 1-5.

Comment

• Hogan
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2007

All really good stuff. The one question for Chet, and our team in general, is how will he/they handle a Baylor-like, tough, in your grill defense.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
              All really good stuff. The one question for Chet, and our team in general, is how will he/they handle a Baylor-like, tough, in your grill defense.
              I would invite a big man to do this to Chet on the perimeter. because it would play to one of his strengths and he’ll likely just go by him. Also, it will open things up for Drew. I think that where he would suffer is down low, but that’s not really his game. It seems that he likes to be active on the perimeter then flow down to the hoop as the offensive possession dictates.

Someone made a comparison to Tillie and I think that is good for multiple reasons. He seems to be a problem-solving, Swiss Army knife guy from possession to possession.

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                The Iceman returneth (George Gervin)

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I know they are not going to, but if they would sign that 6'9'' guy from Oral Roberts to go along with Chet and Timme, next years team would be ungaurgable. That guy can flat out shoot the 3 pointer, and is a pretty good rebounder as well. That front line would be the best in the country and it wouldn't even be close. I hope Watson improves drastically. If he doesn't, I believe Gregg will pass him on the dept chart.

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

I have not seen Chet Holmgren play yet. But from reading your reviews of him I would compare him to Suggs. Jalen was a special player, and the kind of freshman that we at Gonzaga had not seen before. I feel that Chet will be from the same cut. He will have a huge impact on the team because of who his is as a player. Like Suggs, I believe he's a winner, and that's his greatest strength. He will do what it will take to win games. There will be games that he will Oooo and ahhh us with his intensity and skills, and there will be games where he makes a lot of freshman mistakes. And like Suggs I believe he will lead us to the Final Four. He will not be the dominant scorer, just as Jalen was not; but he will dominate some games on the offensive end like Jalen Suggs did. But from what I have gathered, like Jalen he is going to be a defensive presence on the team which every team needs if they want to go far in March. I really look forward to watching this young man play next year, just as I really looked forward to seeing Jalen Suggs play last year. These are special kind of players, and we are so lucky to be able to have them as part of our family. And just think, the Kennel will be rocking next year, and that's something we haven't seen in awhile.

Go Zags!!!
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bdmiller7
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2017

What I saw today makes me believe Chet at the high post and Timme on the low block will be unguardable. Chet can make the 3, drive, and is a great passer from the high post. We saw that with Chet feeding Lofton and hitting back doors from the corner. I just wish Ayayi was still here to run the back door. Hopefully Dom or Julian or one of the new guys can fill that role.

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                        I have not seen Chet Holmgren play yet.
                        The time you spent typing this would have been better used watching our #1 overall recruit play. There is tons of footage available on YouTube.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

This under 19 tourney is a good place to start, 7 games against good competition. Just the finals and consolation game had lots of future lottery picks from the US, Canada, France, and Serbia.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                            The time you spent typing this would have been better used watching our #1 overall recruit play. There is tons of footage available on YouTube.
                            Boy You're pretty picky there Scrooner. FYI I have watched enough video to make sensible statements like I made. I meant that I had not seen him play live, which is very different than watching a video. In a way I was trying to compliment for those who saw him play live in the Franc or other games LIVE...I don't mind being criticized but not when its unnecessary. I think you could spend the time you wasted on criticizing me for posting on this thread to doing anything else.....

Go Zags!
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• katman50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                              Unnecessary comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X