Thread: Andy Katz Power 36 - guess who's NOT #1?

Default Andy Katz Power 36 - guess who's NOT #1?

Interesting that Wazzu is in the "under consideration" category. Are they supposed to be good this year?

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Interesting that Wazzu is in the "under consideration" category. Are they supposed to be good this year?
    It’s a long list, including the lines of Colorado state, Oral Roberts, etc.

And I think UCLA is several notches lower than number 1.

Katz is sandbagging

I've rated this thread TERRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Yes. Noah Williams is poised for a breakout year at pg; could be all league. People are talking about Abogidi (sp?) as having NBA potential at pf. Jackson, Bamba, Rodman should make 2nd year jumps, and they've signed a top 35 big out of HS as well.

I think people are getting overhyped UCLA for multiple reasons: 1) Johnny Juzang is everyone's favorite player after that Final Four game 2) UCLA is a blue blood 3) People think Cronin will have them playing like prime Showtime Lakers.

It's really misguided if you ask me. It's clear Gonzaga has a better team across the board compared to UCLA but those brand names are too big to overlook I guess.

UCLA was a 10 loss team last year and everyone is back from that 10 loss team. GU, has 2-3 returning but those guys while young, have the talent to push out another 31-0 year. It's a quandary. If GU had everyone back, there wouldn't be a question. We don't. Therein lies the issue. I hope we figure out a way to play UCLA in December. My money is on the Zags. We'll wait and see how this turns out. Knowing the game would be a blockbuster in revenue and for the college game, something tells me they'll figure it out.

I had to make a bet with my obnoxious UCLA fan friends because of this last night. They were both crowing about how "everyone" is putting UCLA at #1 now that Juzang is coming back, and one said that he saw a list that didn't even have the Zags in the top 5, so he's anchoring on that (he couldn't tell me where he saw it). Anyway, I bet them both that Gonzaga will go further in the tournament than UCLA and made them put it in their phones so they can't deny it when comes time to pay off.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

With the team UCLA had last season, we were unable to contain them...Juzang is a stud and we couldn't stop him!!! I didn't want to go to OT and was so glad Suggs' shot went in...BUT this coming season with their 20-21 team returning and the pieces they picked up, they are going to be one super, deep team and understand why they would be ranked #1 by some in Pre-Season Rankings.

Fundamental difference for the Zags this year... someone who can protect the rim. Chet is other-worldly when it comes to blocking shots. I love Drew, but he isn't at the Karnowski level let alone the Holmgren level. I really really hope they get this game worked out. If they do, it will be a chance for the Zags to show what they are made of.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    UCLA was a 10 loss team last year and everyone is back from that 10 loss team. GU, has 2-3 returning but those guys while young, have the talent to push out another 31-0 year. It's a quandary. If GU had everyone back, there wouldn't be a question. We don't. Therein lies the issue. I hope we figure out a way to play UCLA in December. My money is on the Zags. We'll wait and see how this turns out. Knowing the game would be a blockbuster in revenue and for the college game, something tells me they'll figure it out.
    Doc, unfortunately the laissez faire attitude of last year when it came to cobbling OOC schedules is gone, so a GU vs the Sam Gilberts might not happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Doc, unfortunately the laissez faire attitude of last year when it came to cobbling OOC schedules is gone, so a GU vs the Sam Gilberts might not happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)
    Jazz,

Cronin is not like Coach Few...anybody, anywhere, anytime...UCLA has a Championship caliber team and I doubt he wants his team to be really challenged in OOC especially by an "upstart" like GU UNLESS it is for a ton of money and yes playing GU would be a BIG Money game but...

BTW do you know what month Del Mar actually has racing on it's track? We are making a trip to LA next April through the Canal and "I" would be interested in going back to the track...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Jazz,

Cronin is not like Coach Few...anybody, anywhere, anytime...UCLA has a Championship caliber team and I doubt he wants his team to be really challenged in OOC especially by an "upstart" like GU UNLESS it is for a ton of money and yes playing GU would be a BIG Money game but...

BTW do you know what month Del Mar actually has racing on it's track? We are making a trip to LA next April through the Canal and "I" would be interested in going back to the track...
    I fully expect the matchup between Gonzaga and UCLA to happen. Both programs pulled out of their scheduled preseason tournaments in New Jersey to schedule a better one against each other is Vegas. I suspect the delay pertaining to the final announcement is more about the logistics of securing other teams for the event than UCLA’s reluctance to play Gonzaga.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Jazz,

Opening a couple days, July 16, no restrictions. Opening Day is a major major, um, freak show. So many older men with their daughters, it’s wonderful. Then it trails off to 3,000 day. The sport’s dead, only one who doesn’t know is Joe Harper. Still. A spectacular view from the grandstand. Have dinner at Enocteca, not far in Flower Hill Mall..

https://www.dmtc.com/calendar/detail/2021Season

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I fully expect the matchup between Gonzaga and UCLA to happen. Both programs pulled out of their scheduled preseason tournaments in New Jersey to schedule a better one against each other is Vegas. I suspect the delay pertaining to the final announcement is more about the logistics of securing other teams for the event than UCLA’s reluctance to play Gonzaga.
    Hope a Zags vs Bruins regular season game gets scheduled soon lest the “both coaches want to make this game happen” cloud hang around for the second season in a row. All the potential Zags vs Baylor regular season matchup talk last season got tiresome. Let’s not do that again please.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Hope a Zags vs Bruins regular season game gets scheduled soon lest the “both coaches want to make this game happen” cloud hang around for the second season in a row. All the potential Zags vs Baylor regular season matchup talk last season got tiresome. Let’s not do that again please.
    Agree. Far too much back patting signifying bupkis. Billions of electrons were wasted on that non-story.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Hmmm. Zags already playing in Vegas once this year.

Twice.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Opening a couple days, July 16, no restrictions. Opening Day is a major major, um, freak show. So many older men with their daughters, it’s wonderful. Then it trails off to 3,000 day. The sport’s dead, only one who doesn’t know is Joe Harper. Still. A spectacular view from the grandstand. Have dinner at Enocteca, not far in Flower Hill Mall..

https://www.dmtc.com/calendar/detail/2021Season
    JAZZ - Thanks seems like we will be there too early and miss the opening.

MCMM - I hope you're right...it will be one heck of a challenge to guard Juzang as he will only get better this off season...it will be one heck of a game!!!

UCLA incoming wing Peyton Watson is an absolute stud. GU really wanted him. In terms of raw ability, he's going to be better than Johnny Juzang. Don't know if he will have a Suggs like impact, but he's a big reason why UCLA is being ranked so high.

There are also still questions about Gonzaga's Rasir Bolton and his eligibility (unless something has changed - I have been off the board). He ranked in the top 15th percentile nationally in individual defense, per the tracking site Synergy Sports before the start of last season. He's outstanding in pick and roll situations. He wasn't just Iowa State's floor general who averaged 15.5ppg last season. Having a point guard who can stifle an opposing PG (remember, Nemby can still slide over to off guard) and a center like Chet, plus better post defenders, could give Gonzaga a more formidable defense for keeping a guy like Juzang in check. Yes, it would be great to have a great 6-7 great wing defender for Juzang, but team defense can also make things for challenging for a guy like that.

I like being ranked number 1 and I think we will be back there. Doesn't really matter. I always bet on the Zags.