Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIBA U19 United States vs Mali, featuring Chet Holmgren & Oumar Ballo

Default FIBA U19 United States vs Mali, featuring Chet Holmgren & Oumar Ballo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37zVoncx7k

Anybody else watching?

Holmgren easily wins the tip over Ballo, and on Mali's first posession he runs around a screen to get a block on the perimeter and a run-out dunk.

US is using Holmgren to help bring up the ball and then initiate the offense. Ivey seems to be the team's designated bucket getter.

Holmgren the best passer on this team.

Peyton Watson will fit in at UCLA. Really physical, pushy defense on the ball handler.

Chet with a transition 3 and 1!

Bummer, Chet misses on two dunks in one possession, including a runout windmill attempt. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Peyton Watson will fit in at UCLA. Really physical, pushy defense on the ball handler.
    Boo.
    America's Team!

Ballo still appears a shell of his former FIBA self.

He played in this same U19 event when he was only 17!...and looked much more fluid, confident, skilled, tough back then...

I've never seen a player take such a step backward in his development as he has/did.

I just don't get it, and likely never will. Honestly, my only explanation is an undiagnosed physical or mental issue. Heck, he looked like a man amongst boys TWO years ago, yet looks just as raw, lost, clumsy as he did this year at Gonzaga.

Hope he comes around, 7'1", 275lbs, insane length, muscle, and looked like a world beater at 16. Incredibly odd occurrence.

USA overtakes Mali 100-52. Next game Australia on Tuesday, July 6 at 10:30.

Default What a passer!

Holmgren the best passer on this team.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Ballo still appears a shell of his former FIBA self.

He played in this same U19 event when he was only 17!...and looked much more fluid, confident, skilled, tough back then...

I've never seen a player take such a step backward in his development as he has/did.

I just don't get it, and likely never will. Honestly, my only explanation is an undiagnosed physical or mental issue. Heck, he looked like a man amongst boys TWO years ago, yet looks just as raw, lost, clumsy as he did this year at Gonzaga.

Hope he comes around, 7'1", 275lbs, insane length, muscle, and looked like a world beater at 16. Incredibly odd occurrence.
    Agree. Wonder what Tommy sees in him?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Prolly just hoping/wishing/waiting like the rest of us...

I'm rooting for the kid, yet doubt it ever clicks.

I watched every one of Mali's games 2 yrs ago....if anyone else watched those...they'd be shocked at his development, or lack thereof.

It doesn't make sense. The loss of coordination, stumbles, rock hard hands, awareness of himself and others, did not exist at 16.

I get it, if the kid just doesn't improve or the game doesn't click or ever slow down for him, but taking a step back physically, like an entirely different person seems like something else going on that no.one realizes.

Almost like a neuro degenerative or auto immune issue or something. Very odd.

Here's that opening tip. I wonder if Chet will win every tip this year?

https://youtu.be/j37zVoncx7k?t=667

Not many 7 foot 265 lb 18 year olds out there. Probably hoping that with 4 more years he can develop into a beast. He almost seems timid and lacking confidence to me. I wouldn’t bet against him becoming a good college player yet, he still has lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Prolly just hoping/wishing/waiting like the rest of us...

I'm rooting for the kid, yet doubt it ever clicks.

I watched every one of Mali's games 2 yrs ago....if anyone else watched those...they'd be shocked at his development, or lack thereof.

It doesn't make sense. The loss of coordination, stumbles, rock hard hands, awareness of himself and others, did not exist at 16.

I get it, if the kid just doesn't improve or the game doesn't click or ever slow down for him, but taking a step back physically, like an entirely different person seems like something else going on that no.one realizes.

Almost like a neuro degenerative or auto immune issue or something. Very odd.
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA

Depends on if they were comparing him to Sonics Shawn Kemp or Magic Shawn Kemp when he was 280 and couldn’t run or jump.

Is.

Our first team AA
    Once upon a time ago I had compared Ballo to KU's Udoka Azubuike, thinking he could have a similar impact in the pick and roll because of his long arms. Then someone here educated me on Buke's all-time high 37" standing vertical leap...

Here's that opening tip. I wonder if Chet will win every tip this year?

https://youtu.be/j37zVoncx7k?t=667
    I think the tip is Timme’s biggest weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think the tip is Timme’s biggest weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He’d be a HOFer if this was the case.

Man! I hope someone is monitoring this kid's diet. He is alarmingly skinny!

Must every 10th comment about Chet be about his weight? I'm certain we can do better basketball analysis here than casual NBA fans on Twitter. I'm sure you know that GU staff will be helping him put on weight and add strength as best as his frame will allow, and that every 7-footer develops differently.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Man! I hope someone is monitoring this kid's diet. He is alarmingly skinny!

A few months eating COG food will have him at 240 before December 1st.

Is.

Our first team AA
    Who knows. Just maybe 2 first team all-americans by the end of the year. What does everyone else think.

If Ballo had it before, he can get it back again. Whether he will or not that is up to him. He has all the physical tools, it has been puzzling to me that he seemed to regress so much. Looks like he would get better simply by accident than what he has.