Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: FIBA U19 United States vs Mali, featuring Chet Holmgren & Oumar Ballo

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default FIBA U19 United States vs Mali, featuring Chet Holmgren & Oumar Ballo

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37zVoncx7k

    Anybody else watching?

    Holmgren easily wins the tip over Ballo, and on Mali's first posession he runs around a screen to get a block on the perimeter and a run-out dunk.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    US is using Holmgren to help bring up the ball and then initiate the offense. Ivey seems to be the team's designated bucket getter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Holmgren the best passer on this team.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,461

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Peyton Watson will fit in at UCLA. Really physical, pushy defense on the ball handler.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Chet with a transition 3 and 1!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Bummer, Chet misses on two dunks in one possession, including a runout windmill attempt. Whoops.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Peyton Watson will fit in at UCLA. Really physical, pushy defense on the ball handler.
    Boo.
    America's Team!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Ballo still appears a shell of his former FIBA self.

    He played in this same U19 event when he was only 17!...and looked much more fluid, confident, skilled, tough back then...

    I've never seen a player take such a step backward in his development as he has/did.

    I just don't get it, and likely never will. Honestly, my only explanation is an undiagnosed physical or mental issue. Heck, he looked like a man amongst boys TWO years ago, yet looks just as raw, lost, clumsy as he did this year at Gonzaga.

    Hope he comes around, 7'1", 275lbs, insane length, muscle, and looked like a world beater at 16. Incredibly odd occurrence.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    USA overtakes Mali 100-52. Next game Australia on Tuesday, July 6 at 10:30.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oak Ridge, LA
    Posts
    121

    Default What a passer!

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Holmgren the best passer on this team.
    +1

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Ballo still appears a shell of his former FIBA self.

    He played in this same U19 event when he was only 17!...and looked much more fluid, confident, skilled, tough back then...

    I've never seen a player take such a step backward in his development as he has/did.

    I just don't get it, and likely never will. Honestly, my only explanation is an undiagnosed physical or mental issue. Heck, he looked like a man amongst boys TWO years ago, yet looks just as raw, lost, clumsy as he did this year at Gonzaga.

    Hope he comes around, 7'1", 275lbs, insane length, muscle, and looked like a world beater at 16. Incredibly odd occurrence.
    Agree. Wonder what Tommy sees in him?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Wonder what Tommy sees in him?
    Prolly just hoping/wishing/waiting like the rest of us...

    I'm rooting for the kid, yet doubt it ever clicks.

    I watched every one of Mali's games 2 yrs ago....if anyone else watched those...they'd be shocked at his development, or lack thereof.

    It doesn't make sense. The loss of coordination, stumbles, rock hard hands, awareness of himself and others, did not exist at 16.

    I get it, if the kid just doesn't improve or the game doesn't click or ever slow down for him, but taking a step back physically, like an entirely different person seems like something else going on that no.one realizes.

    Almost like a neuro degenerative or auto immune issue or something. Very odd.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Here's that opening tip. I wonder if Chet will win every tip this year?

    https://youtu.be/j37zVoncx7k?t=667

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Wonder what Tommy sees in him?
    Not many 7 foot 265 lb 18 year olds out there. Probably hoping that with 4 more years he can develop into a beast. He almost seems timid and lacking confidence to me. I wouldn’t bet against him becoming a good college player yet, he still has lots of time.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Prolly just hoping/wishing/waiting like the rest of us...

    I'm rooting for the kid, yet doubt it ever clicks.

    I watched every one of Mali's games 2 yrs ago....if anyone else watched those...they'd be shocked at his development, or lack thereof.

    It doesn't make sense. The loss of coordination, stumbles, rock hard hands, awareness of himself and others, did not exist at 16.

    I get it, if the kid just doesn't improve or the game doesn't click or ever slow down for him, but taking a step back physically, like an entirely different person seems like something else going on that no.one realizes.

    Almost like a neuro degenerative or auto immune issue or something. Very odd.
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

    Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

    Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

    Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

    Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA

    Depends on if they were comparing him to Sonics Shawn Kemp or Magic Shawn Kemp when he was 280 and couldn’t run or jump.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

    Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

    Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA
    Once upon a time ago I had compared Ballo to KU's Udoka Azubuike, thinking he could have a similar impact in the pick and roll because of his long arms. Then someone here educated me on Buke's all-time high 37" standing vertical leap...


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Here's that opening tip. I wonder if Chet will win every tip this year?

    https://youtu.be/j37zVoncx7k?t=667
    I think the tip is Timme’s biggest weakness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think the tip is Timme’s biggest weakness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He’d be a HOFer if this was the case.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    Man! I hope someone is monitoring this kid's diet. He is alarmingly skinny!


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Must every 10th comment about Chet be about his weight? I'm certain we can do better basketball analysis here than casual NBA fans on Twitter. I'm sure you know that GU staff will be helping him put on weight and add strength as best as his frame will allow, and that every 7-footer develops differently.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Man! I hope someone is monitoring this kid's diet. He is alarmingly skinny!

    A few months eating COG food will have him at 240 before December 1st.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I watched those games too. To me he looks timid plus heavier plus less athletic. May have been tied to an injury that caused him to lose his minimal explosion. He has barely any at all now. No matter how big you are, if you have very little quickness or agility, hard to be any good.

    Remember when a couple here compared him to Shawn kemp? That was laughable then and still
    Is.

    Chet will be dynamite for us with Timme. He can pass, shoot, block shots— perfect compliment to
    Our first team AA
    Who knows. Just maybe 2 first team all-americans by the end of the year. What does everyone else think.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Wonder what Tommy sees in him?
    If Ballo had it before, he can get it back again. Whether he will or not that is up to him. He has all the physical tools, it has been puzzling to me that he seemed to regress so much. Looks like he would get better simply by accident than what he has.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •