Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name image likeness approved!

Default Name image likeness approved!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...likeness-deals

Starting Thurs! It will be interesting to see how this plays out

Yikes, no real guidance or structure, just go for it approach.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Yikes, no real guidance or structure, just go for it approach.
    There's a real possibility IMO that fewer players than expected will benefit from this. A select few will benefit enormously.

Gonzaga seems to be taking the lead on establishing an academic platform that will benefit their athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There's a real possibility IMO that fewer players than expected will benefit from this. A select few will benefit enormously.

Gonzaga seems to be taking the lead on establishing an academic platform that will benefit their athletes.
    agree, along with their adult entourage leeches seems to me. Like child movie stars and their adult managers, and parents who exploit their own child stars? That can get pretty ugly. it won't be only that, but also that imo, not that things didn't already include those elements, but to new levels in the hyped kids' lives now. we'll see where this goes

Same couple of players will get same money. Only difference it’s on the table, not under it. Some, like most from Arizona in the past, will take a haircut.

Again no one has been able to tell me legally how they will separate university rights versus student rights …..for example I cant use the bulldog logo to make money so how will student athletes be able to (*or wont) trademarks and patents seem to be an area not discussed or explored

And if a public university turns blind eye to athletes using the logo, uniforms etc. do they lose legal rights to challenge others from using the logo etc?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

The UCLA/Ball family were either pioneers or born a decade too soon. They were roundly ridiculed but seem to have grasped on to the new normal before anyone else. Now the college ranks will be filled with Ball emulators.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Again no one has been able to tell me legally how they will separate university rights versus student rights …..for example I cant use the bulldog logo to make money so how will student athletes be able to (*or wont) trademarks and patents seem to be an area not discussed or explored

And if a public university turns blind eye to athletes using the logo, uniforms etc. do they lose legal rights to challenge others from using the logo etc?
    Excellent questions!!!

It will be interesting to see how College Book Stores will pay players for using their names on the back of their jerseys...

Besides Timme, which other players might see income from GU's NIL policy?

Gonna be hilarious when some female athletes are making way more money from OnlyFans than the star football/basketball players from commercials.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Excellent questions!!!

It will be interesting to see how College Book Stores will pay players for using their names on the back of their jerseys...

Besides Timme, which other players might see income from GU's NIL policy?
    Everyone's gonna get at least something.

Players with a larger social media following will get some nice opportunities. Chet will have his pick of partnerships. This is long overdue.

You'll probably see advertisements with the guys wearing generic navy blue jerseys (like the pros) unless the advertiser is paying to use GU's IP too. I doubt schools will turn a blind eye to unlicensed use of their IP (usually they contract those rights out and a private company polices unlicensed use).

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Gonna be hilarious when some female athletes are making way more money from OnlyFans than the star football/basketball players from commercials.
    Indeed, buy stock in Paige Bueckers.

https://www.journalinquirer.com/spor...9c53f419f.html

Chet for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Indeed, buy stock in Paige Bueckers.

https://www.journalinquirer.com/spor...9c53f419f.html
    That Olivia Dunne gymnast from LSU could be a millionaire today if she really, really wanted to lol.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    You'll probably see advertisements with the guys wearing generic navy blue jerseys (like the pros) unless the advertiser is paying to use GU's IP too. I doubt schools will turn a blind eye to unlicensed use of their IP (usually they contract those rights out and a private company polices unlicensed use).
    so for example Paige Bueckers instagram constnatly has her in UCONn uniforms, etc......if she starts to collect money for the instagrams would seem to me the University will need to release her use of that logo to make money (which is slipper slope as I understand they cant pick and choose who they let use their logo for commercial money making operations)

going be interesting
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

so for example Paige Bueckers instagram constnatly has her in UCONn uniforms, etc......if she starts to collect money for the instagrams would seem to me the University will need to release her use of that logo to make money (which is slipper slope as I understand they cant pick and choose who they let use their logo for commercial money making operations)

going be interesting

Not a lawyer, but wouldn't it be possible for schools to give student athletes the ability to profit of their NIL in school colors/uniforms. Seems like a reasonable differentiation from Joe's AutoBody*. Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I did get a B in Donald Hackney's Bus law class...

*Apologies if Spokane has a Joe's autobody.

Schools don't want students posing for pictures or doing videos in their gear due to the negative exposure that the school can receive if the student is doing something they should not be doing or not an approved representation of the university.

For example -- advertising for "Joes Pot Shop" in Gonzaga or Whitworth gear may not fly or wearing their gear in a "gun control" advertisement --- it is best to keep the school separate from the athlete to avoid any challenges that might come up ---- that is why many professional athletes wear generic gear (not specific team affiliated) in their advertising unless approved by their team in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Schools don't want students posing for pictures or doing videos in their gear due to the negative exposure that the school can receive if the student is doing something they should not be doing or not an approved representation of the university.

For example -- advertising for "Joes Pot Shop" in Gonzaga or Whitworth gear may not fly or wearing their gear in a "gun control" advertisement --- it is best to keep the school separate from the athlete to avoid any challenges that might come up ---- that is why many professional athletes wear generic gear (not specific team affiliated) in their advertising unless approved by their team in advance.
    i would imagine that Universities competing with "bigger money" may waive the restriction of appearing in their attire in some respects. Curious to see how the free market affects the game.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    This is the degradation of the human race and I hope once the morons who are the NCAA finally maybe decide to make guidelines with this NIL thing that this will be an illegal option. Kids who look up to these athletes run across that are then exposed possibly to perverts. I looked at my nephews tik tok and instantly made him get rid of that crap. We're in trouble as a society folks....
    /rant

Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    This is the degradation of the human race and I hope once the morons who are the NCAA finally maybe decide to make guidelines with this NIL thing that this will be an illegal option. Kids who look up to these athletes run across that are then exposed possibly to perverts. I looked at my nephews tik tok and instantly made him get rid of that crap. We're in trouble as a society folks....
    /rant
    Do they view Prestonplayz on youtube? Big D loves that site, and it's clean. He's married to Briannaplayz, they live in Dallas.

Reggie wants his Heisman back!!

I hope the univsities don’t end up competing with the players for certain things. That would be a troublesome outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    /rant
    The internet didn't change our culture or values.... it exposed them....by providing a platform.....a stage....