Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name image likeness approved!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The internet didn't change our culture or values.... it exposed them....by providing a platform.....a stage....
    ... and exploited some human weaknesses, I think

Jim Meehan with a piece featuring comments from Chet and Mike Roth can be found here:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...w-timme-among/

The Action Network listed Holmgren at No. 11 and Timme at No. 15 on its top 20 athletes who could capitalize on NIL. Only LSU’s Shareef O’Neal, son of Shaquille O’Neal, at No. 3, is ranked higher among men’s basketball players than the two Zags.

“There’s definitely been a (NIL) game plan going in, going back more than just the time I’ve been here at USA Basketball and more than the time it came out officially that this was going to happen,” Holmgren said last week prior to leaving for Latvia to represent the U.S. at the FIBA U19 World Cup. “I’ve been working on it for some time.

“Me and my people have been working to try to put the right people in place to help me with it. But at the moment, that’s kind of been pushed to the side. I’m putting almost all my focus to this USA team and winning this gold. I don’t think I’m going to be doing commercials and stuff when I’m over in Latvia. That’s going to have to wait until after we go on this run.”

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...image-likeness

Boost CEO Stephen Stokols told ESPN that the company has a list of 400 college athletes it hopes to partner with in the future. He said the Cavinders will be part of a national advertising campaign, but he's interested in the appeal that many college athletes have on a local level. He said deals could range from annual contracts worth large sums of money to in-kind deals where Boost provides athletes with free cellphones and service plans in exchange for promoting the company on social media.

"A lot of these guys are local heroes," Stokols said. "We think it's a big opportunity to get regional and local with relevant names in those markets. ...We want to be one of the biggest companies embracing [the college-athlete marketplace] early. We hope to play a role in helping to shape it. There is a lot of gray area that will hopefully be more defined a year from now."
    The genie is out of the bottle. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...image-likeness

The genie is out of the bottle. . .
    Isn't this exactly the reasons that NCAA athlete compensation was banned, oh those many years ago?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    ... and exploited some human weaknesses, I think
    So true ....but to the subject of the OP.....I suspect that nearly all college athletes will benefit.......and that social media and local media will provide opportunities for those that have little or no name recognition in the main stream media.....

It is a brave new world.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    This is the degradation of the human race and I hope once the morons who are the NCAA finally maybe decide to make guidelines with this NIL thing that this will be an illegal option. Kids who look up to these athletes run across that are then exposed possibly to perverts. I looked at my nephews tik tok and instantly made him get rid of that crap. We're in trouble as a society folks....
    /rant
    Yep
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    So true ....but to the subject of the OP.....I suspect that nearly all college athletes will benefit.......and that social media and local media will provide opportunities for those that have little or no name recognition in the main stream media.....

It is a brave new world.
    I saw a vignette on a football player who was forced to choose between his football scholarship and a monetized social media account that he posted videos. He quit football. It was a sad story that won't have to see any more, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    This is the degradation of the human race and I hope once the morons who are the NCAA finally maybe decide to make guidelines with this NIL thing that this will be an illegal option. Kids who look up to these athletes run across that are then exposed possibly to perverts. I looked at my nephews tik tok and instantly made him get rid of that crap. We're in trouble as a society folks....
    /rant
    I could not disagree with this take any more.

It is not the job of a college athlete to raise or protect my children. That responsibility falls on me. Dangerous content and people on the internet do and always will exist, and could be found through any other celebrity or athlete, or simply through a google search. College athletes are adults and they can make their own decisions, in collaboration with their college or university, to associate their name with content and companies that represent their values. That's the free market that so many seem to love when it applies to their own life. The degradation of society has been claimed by nearly every generation as attitudes towards drugs, sex, violence, etc change over time. To each their own, but I don't think college athletes being paid is a contributing factor to any of it.

I don't know how NIL changes will impact college sports, but I sure see a lot hyperbole that I really don't think is warranted. Determining what is fair or not in terms of paying college athletes, allowing them to benefit from name/image/likeness, is an incredibly complex issue. There are so many factors to consider, including but not limited to making things equitable across states, public and private universities, revenue and non-revenue generating sports, Title IX, etc. Making changes to any of this is really complex and will be imperfect. But the system is quite imperfect as it stands, so it's perhaps worth trying out different approaches and seeing if bringing some of the things are already happening behind closed doors into the open is worth it.

https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/...ctions2021.pdf

Master P Son Hercy Miller Signs $2 Mil Deal ... After NCAA Rule Change

He plays at Tennesee State...

This link seems to make better sense: https://sports.yahoo.com/master-ps-s...173631964.html

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

BYU athletes are now also allowed NIL but there "rules" have so many prohibitions and I wonder if that will effect their recruiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/...ctions2021.pdf

Master P Son Hercy Miller Signs $2 Mil Deal ... After NCAA Rule Change

He plays at Tennesee State...
    That’s great for him but I highly doubt it has much to do with his basketball ability and most to do with his Dad. The kid is not even a Top 100 guy or a fringe one at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonzaga Athletics partners with Gonzaga School of Business Administration for Next Level programming

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga Athletics is partnering with the nationally-ranked Gonzaga University School of Business Administration (SBA) as part of Next Level, which is a comprehensive program that will provide Bulldog student-athletes with the education and tools necessary to build and elevate their personal brands.

The Gonzaga University School of Business Administration will provide on-campus instruction delivered by faculty who are subject matter experts in a wide variety of business topics, including personal brand management, financial and tax planning, entrepreneurship, and negotiations.

https://gozags.com/news/2021/7/8/gon...UEEQzvMYdfOBmE

seems in this shallow concern for the financial issues of a small number of student athletes lies the big lie....that college and universities do not care if the education, nursing, humanities,economics,etc etc students are in huge debt after college......

such concern for a tiny minority of students while the vast majority are facing huge loan repayments.....

big mistake folks...

just don't complain when so and so number one recruit transfers to Oregon when Uncle phil flashes the wallet.....no complaints at all, because that is what will happen. And it will happen in many sports, not just BB.

how I miss the days of 4 yr players.

The players pay too much attention to their "brand", you can bet their performance will suffer.their Both in sport and surely in the classroom. Then what???

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The players pay too much attention to their "brand", you can bet their performance will suffer.their Both in sport and surely in the classroom. Then what???
    Then have a seat on the bench. There have always been distractions for players in college and when they let those distractions interfere with their performance on the court and the classroom there are generally consequences. I'm not sure why this would be any different.
    Bring back the OCC

That’s the point 03. I doubt the kids have ever seen this type of money to distract them. Why don’t we just put a big pile of money in the table and tell em to go for it. It’ll take some time away from studying or shooting free throws but let em have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Do they view Prestonplayz on youtube? Big D loves that site, and it's clean. He's married to Briannaplayz, they live in Dallas.
    I'm not sure but he does watch youtube, which still has its flaws and should be monitored, especially since the whole Elsa gate thing....

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I could not disagree with this take any more.

It is not the job of a college athlete to raise or protect my children. That responsibility falls on me. Dangerous content and people on the internet do and always will exist, and could be found through any other celebrity or athlete, or simply through a google search. College athletes are adults and they can make their own decisions, in collaboration with their college or university, to associate their name with content and companies that represent their values. That's the free market that so many seem to love when it applies to their own life. The degradation of society has been claimed by nearly every generation as attitudes towards drugs, sex, violence, etc change over time. To each their own, but I don't think college athletes being paid is a contributing factor to any of it.

I don't know how NIL changes will impact college sports, but I sure see a lot hyperbole that I really don't think is warranted. Determining what is fair or not in terms of paying college athletes, allowing them to benefit from name/image/likeness, is an incredibly complex issue. There are so many factors to consider, including but not limited to making things equitable across states, public and private universities, revenue and non-revenue generating sports, Title IX, etc. Making changes to any of this is really complex and will be imperfect. But the system is quite imperfect as it stands, so it's perhaps worth trying out different approaches and seeing if bringing some of the things are already happening behind closed doors into the open is worth it.
    I agree of course, in fact there's been a college edition of playboy since the 60s I think. At the time I had just watched the news and had a segment about sex trafficking and I was all sorts of mad.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    That’s the point 03. I doubt the kids have ever seen this type of money to distract them. Why don’t we just put a big pile of money in the table and tell em to go for it. It’ll take some time away from studying or shooting free throws but let em have at it.
    I think we agree. I'm just not worried about it. I have no doubt that a guy slacking on getting better or learning the offense won't be playing. Guys are going to have to learn to stay focused on school and basketball or potentially lose everything. It's a valuable lesson that I have no doubt Coach Few will help them learn.
    Bring back the OCC

From Gonzaga Men's Basketball FB Page

Taking NIL education to the 𝙉𝙚𝙭𝙩 𝙇𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙡

https://www.facebook.com/32724037402...08460615899485

I heard an interesting item today on the sports radio.

There is a high school quarterback from Texas, expected to be the #1 recruit coming out after his upcoming senior year.

They would extend NIL to him, being in HS. He is one core English class away from graduating.

He is planning on enrolling at Ohio State and attending their fall football tomorrow.

Apparently several other HS stars have been considering this too, but he is the first to do it.

Can't put this cat back in the bag, and it's going to High School as well, and they aren't getting a scholarship to play.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I heard an interesting item today on the sports radio.

There is a high school quarterback from Texas, expected to be the #1 recruit coming out after his upcoming senior year.

They would extend NIL to him, being in HS. He is one core English class away from graduating.

He is planning on enrolling at Ohio State and attending their fall football tomorrow.

Apparently several other HS stars have been considering this too, but he is the first to do it.

Can't put this cat back in the bag, and it's going to High School as well, and they aren't getting a scholarship to play.
    Bb phenom Mikey Williams a former San Diego high schooler in some grade at his 2d or third school is also following the NIL train. They were reports that the Texas quarterback high schooler believed he couldn’t cash in while in high school. I think he was either misinformed or there’s something unique in the state that prevented that. In any case he could’ve cashed in just as easily as a highschooler in that state, maybe more so than as a college kid in Ohio. Hello, DFW; Goodbye, Columbus.

https://sportsnaut.com/prep-hoops-st...al-with-excel/

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bb phenom Mikey Williams a former San Diego high schooler in some grade at his 2d or third school is also following the NIL train. They were reports that the Texas quarterback high schooler believed he couldn’t cash in while in high school. I think he was either misinformed or there’s something unique in the state that prevented that. In any case he could’ve cashed in just as easily as a highschooler in that state, maybe more so than as a college kid in Ohio. Hello, DFW; Goodbye, Columbus.

https://sportsnaut.com/prep-hoops-st...al-with-excel/
    The radio said that Texas law forbade it.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The radio said that Texas law forbade it.
    Yup...couldn’t happen to a more deserving school than Southlake.