Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name image likeness approved!

losing not loosing
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Las Vegas Locally Palm tree
    @LasVegasLocally
    Beginning today every member of the UNLV men's basketball team will be given a $500 per month car allowance for one year from Findlay Toyota, Logic Commercial Real Estate, and other local supporters... legally.
    How will they use the name and likeness to justify this? It sure feels a lot like what was being done decades ago that caused the rules to be instituted the way they were.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Will they be issued W2s or 1099’s? The IRS and Nevada tax authorities are interested, I’m sure.

I’ve never heard of car allowances being given to independent contractors, so there has to be an employer/employee relationship there.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    losing not loosing
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Will they be issued W2s or 1099’s? The IRS and Nevada tax authorities are interested, I’m sure.

I’ve never heard of car allowances being given to independent contractors, so there has to be an employer/employee relationship there.
    There's no income tax in Nevada
    Bring back the OCC

Then North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, Alabama and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    I don’t begrudge the players for making a bit more money but I never understood why this was necessary. The ones who are going to benefit from this are already treated like royalty on campus. The good programs take care of their student athletes. This, plus the new transfer rules will allow players to take the spotlight away from the team and teammates. We already have that in the NBA, I’m not sure we need the same for The NCAA.
    " a bit" is one thing but Ive been following some of the higher end players in this. It's not a focus on basketball. It's a focus on how much money they can make....and ,for me, therein lies the problem. I suspect the NCAA has lost control of the sport in some respects/. In the end, the players make the game.. Not the university and not the boosters. Arena's may help as do facilities. But it is the product ( PLAYERS) that make the biggest of difference. FOr a young person who
    s very good at basketball, I hope they're not thinking of money instead of focusing on footwork drills, back to the baskets tools, etc. Balance must be achieved. Who make balance work? A teen? or who?? And how about study time? Likely, that'll be the one that suffers.

Timme teaming up with Boost Mobile

Theo Lawson
    @TheoLawson_SR
    Drew Timme taking a page out of the Jalen Suggs playbook in his first TikTok video for
    @boostmobile

https://twitter.com/TheoLawson_SR/st...28120533495825

You're right, but I believe those "allowances" are subject to state employment taxes. Within 18 months, I expect to see numerous articles about athletes owing taxes on the money they make.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    " a bit" is one thing but Ive been following some of the higher end players in this. It's not a focus on basketball. It's a focus on how much money they can make....and ,for me, therein lies the problem. I suspect the NCAA has lost control of the sport in some respects/. In the end, the players make the game.. Not the university and not the boosters. Arena's may help as do facilities. But it is the product ( PLAYERS) that make the biggest of difference. FOr a young person who
    s very good at basketball, I hope they're not thinking of money instead of focusing on footwork drills, back to the baskets tools, etc. Balance must be achieved. Who make balance work? A teen? or who?? And how about study time? Likely, that'll be the one that suffers.
    Well put, will. No matter how much these athletes make, it will come down to the old maxim, "it's never enough."

Lots of people with financial stability, in this thread and throughout sports media, lecturing young athletes about money and motivation out of their own self interest. NIL at it's heart is all about the same good old free market capitalism that I believe many here are quite fond of.

It is not the job of any of these young men or women to entertain us. It is not their job to preserve the institution of amateur athletics. If they can make money while playing college sports - good for them. I don't understand why they SHOULD be focusing on footwork drills over making money. That's the goal for most whether they be doctors, lawyers, or CEO's in training. The better their footwork, the more money they will make. Love of the game, purity of amateurism...those things may warm our hearts but they don't put food on a table. And frankly, the desire to make money and the desire to get better aren't mutually exclusive.

The the extent that NIL ruins or at least changes college sports, that's only because tying athletics to academics was a pretty broken model in the first place. It may hurt Gonzaga. But I don't believe we can judge whether something is the "right thing to do" by whether it benefits our favorite school, or team, or sport.

Time will tell.

Tell us 24. What exactly is the young athletes’ job then? and what and who’s self interest are you referring to?? For decades I thought we had our athletes here to get free education, food and a career in something. Is all this wrong? Splain...

Tell us 24. What exactly is the young athletes’ job then? and what and who’s self interest are you referring to?? For decades I thought we had our athletes here to get free education, food and a career in something. Is all this wrong? Splain...
    Their job? I guess to play the sport of their choosing for the university of their choosing. The coaches, AD, and university president can dictate the extent to which that athletic performance merits a scholarship, housing, stipend, and ongoing university support.

The athletes are still getting a free education, food, and a career in something. NIL changes none of that. They simply are also able to benefit from their own name, their own image, their own likeness. For those that never earn a dime in professional sports, it's a nice added bonus given the millions that many across the college sports landscape are raking in on the backs of their efforts.

As for self-interest, I include myself in that statement. Gonzaga is at the top of the food chain. #1 recruiting class, coming off a national championship game appearance, likely POY in Timme...the status quo is GREAT for me as a fan. But that doesn't make it right. And the same goes for all of college sports. If athletes being able to make money ruins college sports, then it's pretty indicative that it was a house of cards anyway.

Getting paid did not have a negative effect on my job performance ....there were other more serious problems that accounted for it........

lololol Bart!

I guess the problem I still have is Yeah, Timme and Chet plus a few others will get theirs, but what about the other 5-6 or more, on the team. what will that do to the chemistry? One guy is making $50K a year, over and above schoolies and per diem, and another guy is struggling to get by It will be hard to maintain that chemistry.

If a car dealership gives $500/mo to every player, how is that really NIL? Is that just Men's b'ball, or is it all sports and all teams?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Their job? I guess to play the sport of their choosing for the university of their choosing. The coaches, AD, and university president can dictate the extent to which that athletic performance merits a scholarship, housing, stipend, and ongoing university support.

The athletes are still getting a free education, food, and a career in something. NIL changes none of that. They simply are also able to benefit from their own name, their own image, their own likeness. For those that never earn a dime in professional sports, it's a nice added bonus given the millions that many across the college sports landscape are raking in on the backs of their efforts.

As for self-interest, I include myself in that statement. Gonzaga is at the top of the food chain. #1 recruiting class, coming off a national championship game appearance, likely POY in Timme...the status quo is GREAT for me as a fan. But that doesn't make it right. And the same goes for all of college sports. If athletes being able to make money ruins college sports, then it's pretty indicative that it was a house of cards anyway.
    See that's the problem. their job is supposed to be SCHOOL. If not,, go overseas or G league it for $75 K...and move up if merited. And that is the problem...........school is just becoming, for many.........well ......not much for education. Think the culture suffers? I do but its just an opinion. Will has a good point on comraderie..... Tx is right..time will tell.

Back in the Olden Days I had a course in Labor Law at Gonzaga....if a Court finds that these kids are employees ...... that it is a job....the Universities will have a whole new set of obligations .... and the players will have a whole new set of rights and benefits ...

See that's the problem. their job is supposed to be SCHOOL. If not,, go overseas or G league it for $75 K...and move up if merited. And that is the problem...........school is just becoming, for many.........well ......not much for education. Think the culture suffers? I do but its just an opinion. Will has a good point on comraderie..... Tx is right..time will tell.
    The "venerated halls of knowledge" days are over. People going to school for advanced knowledge or for a specific vocation is rare. College is mostly used to delay getting into the job market while getting a certificate to show you have a high school education (because high school diplomas don't mean much anymore).

For student athletes, it's just a continuation of club ball; a next level of competition that is paid for in return for making millions for the college. It's also a great opportunity to network and use their notoriety to establish relationships after basketball. NIL makes it even more lucrative.

I wish it weren't so but it's just business.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    The "venerated halls of knowledge" days are over. People going to school for advanced knowledge or for a specific vocation is rare. College is mostly used to delay getting into the job market while getting a certificate to show you have a high school education (because high school diplomas don't mean much anymore).

For student athletes, it's just a continuation of club ball; a next level of competition that is paid for in return for making millions for the college. It's also a great opportunity to network and use their notoriety to establish relationships after basketball. NIL makes it even more lucrative.

I wish it weren't so but it's just business.
    I think you have out cyniced me.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I think you have out cyniced me.

You're really not going to surrender your title that easily!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I guess the problem I still have is Yeah, Timme and Chet plus a few others will get theirs, but what about the other 5-6 or more, on the team. what will that do to the chemistry? One guy is making $50K a year, over and above schoolies and per diem, and another guy is struggling to get by It will be hard to maintain that chemistry.

If a car dealership gives $500/mo to every player, how is that really NIL? Is that just Men's b'ball, or is it all sports and all teams?
    Seems to work in the pros. I’m guessing, like the pros, if a guy at the end of the bench is complaining about paycheck then he will easily get replaced with someone who won’t complain.
    Bring back the OCC

At about 8 years old when my sense of fairness was at a life time high and I was always pointing out to my parents that " That is not fair !!! " .

My dad advised me " Life is not fair.. you better learn to deal with it".

It may have been the most truthful and useful advice I ever got.....

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    You're really not going to surrender your title that easily!
    His is the El Capitan of cynical statements