Thread: Few Named Assistant for USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Default Few Named Assistant for USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Zag leader on Erik Spoelstra’s select team staff ahead of Olympics

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Gonzaga men's basketball head coach Mark Few has been named as an assistant coach to the Team USA Select Team at the USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp in Las Vegas.

The three-man coaching staff for the 2021 USA Basketball Select Team, assembled to help train against the USA Basketball Men's National Team 's Las Vegas training camp was announced by National Team managing director Jerry Colangelo.

https://gozags.com/news/2021/6/29/me...G3KWf9pPXsWWyQ

Get rid of da bum

Few has served as the head coach at Gonzaga for the last 22 years (starting in 1999-00), advancing to the NCAA Tournament in all 21 of the team's eligible seasons (2019-20 NCAA tournament canceled due to COVID-19). He also served as an assistant at Gonzaga in his previous 10 seasons (1989-99) before taking over as head coach on July 26, 1999. Gonzaga has won or shared 20 regular season league titles in his 21 seasons and taken home conference tournament championships 17 times. The Bulldogs won or shared 11 straight West Coast Conference regular-season titles from 2000-11, which was the longest streak in the nation at the time and the second-best streak all-time in the NCAA Division-I ranks. Few has led Gonzaga to two NCAA National Championship appearances (2017, 2021), four Elite Eight appearances (2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021), and 10 Sweet 16 appearances. (2000, 2001, 2006, 2009, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021). Few currently is the winningest active NCAA Division-I coach by percentage at .834 (630-125), and in his last five seasons he has compiled a 164-14 record (.921 winning percentage). He was the third fastest collegiate coach in history to 200 career wins (247 games), tied for sixth fastest to 300 wins (347 games), fifth fastest to 400 wins (499 games) and third fastest to 500 wins (612 games). A native of Creswell, Oregon, Few started his coaching career right before graduating from University of Oregon in 1987 as an assistant coach for Creswell High School from 1986-88 and then as an assistant coach for Sheldon High School (Oregon) in 1988-89. He went to Gonzaga as a graduate assistant in 1990-91 and has remained at the institution ever since.

Default Few Named Assistant for USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Few would be better used being the head coach. Popovich can’t coach international basketball. That team is being picked apart by physical team play. He is hoping that throwing a bunch of talent on the floor will win like it does in the NBA.

Few honestly has a game style ideally suited for international play. His style has been significantly influenced by the European game. He understands it.

Pop needs to be wholesale adopting Few’s playbook and playing style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Few would be better used being the head coach. Popovich can’t coach international basketball. That team is being picked apart by physical team play. He is hoping that throwing a bunch of talent on the floor will win like it does in the NBA.

Few honestly has a game style ideally suited for international play. His style has been significantly influenced by the European game. He understands it.

Pop needs to be wholesale adopting Few’s playbook and playing style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The team Few is coaching, the Select team, are the Washington Generals to the National Team's Harlem Globetrotters. I wonder who was on the select team, and how they fared opposing the national team.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    The team Few is coaching, the Select team, are the Washington Generals to the National Team's Harlem Globetrotters. I wonder who was on the select team, and how they fared opposing the national team.
    https://www.usab.com/mens/national-t...21-select.aspx

Select team roster. Young players, but definitely some talent.

Kinda neat he's the only one on staff that's not in the NBA.