Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn! It's hot!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.
    Very True.

If the ambient air is already full of water, you can't add much more water to it.

In hot, dry air evaporative coolers are great. In humid areas evaporative coolers are next to worthless.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    A week and a half ago it high 115 in the front room of my house. Single-pane windows, facing due west, no AC or insulation in the entire house.
    True Story.

My dad was the traditional engineer. In 1976 he bought a brand new Pontiac Catalina station wagon. His first new car since 1962. He bought the Pontiac without A/C.

In late July we had to make a trip to Yakima from Spokane (about 4 hours with the 55 mph speed limit). After a long hot day outside, we got in the car to come home in the late afternoon. The ambient temperature was 105+. The car was hotter than hades and of course no A/C, but whatever air we could get from the windows. Our conversation went something like this:

Son: How much was the cost to add A/C to the Pontiac?

Dad: About $600. I did not think is was worth the price.

Son: How long do you typically keep your cars?

Dad: About 15 Years

Son: So, A/C would cost you about $40 per year (simple payback, before you economists tell me about the time value of money).

Dad: Yeah that's about right.

As we are driving back to Spokane in 105 Deg. F. heat with no A/C and 3 hours and 45 minutes to go.

Son: So, how's that decision looking right now?

Dad: I might have made an error in my calculations.

Son: Ya think

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    True Story.

My dad was the traditional engineer. In 1976 he bought a brand new Pontiac Catalina station wagon. His first new car since 1962. He bought the Pontiac without A/C.

In late July we had to make a trip to Yakima from Spokane (about 4 hours with the 55 mph speed limit). After a long hot day outside, we got in the car to come home in the late afternoon. The ambient temperature was 105+. The car was hotter than hades and of course no A/C, but whatever air we could get from the windows. Our conversation went something like this:

Son: So, A/C would cost you about $40 per year (simple payback, before you economists tell me about the time value of money).

As we are driving back to Spokane in 105 Deg. F. heat with no A/C and 3 hours and 45 minutes to go.

ZagDad
    You were ahead of your time. We're in the middle of a move out of state, and definitely looking forward to having both AC and insulation in the new house!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

True Story.

ZagDad
    My Grandpa always got 455 A/C with all his cars.

Four windows open at 55 MPH.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    August, any underground NYC subway platform, circa 1970s, if the heat and humidity didn't get you, the smells and the vermin did.
    It's still pretty bad in the 2020s, Jazz.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Interesting that you cite the environmental effect of Air Conditioners, yet heat with wood.

Your choice and I'm not attacking, just noting.
    Burning wood is a part of nature's cycle, and has been for millenia. Freon and nuclear power, not so much. Everything's gonna have some effect. I see wood as the most benign way to heat that's available to me. Just my opinion.
    It also saves $, which is tight until we sell the house eventually. And cutting and splitting wood just feels enjoyable and natural to me. IMO the issue isn't wood, it's overpopulation.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    It's still pretty bad in the 2020s, Jazz.
    Platforms down below were about 15-20 degrees hotter than the outside... add in the occasional hot car... ahhh the MTA at it's finest. Remember going into Harold Sq station on a 90+ day and thought I was going to die from heat exposure before the next train came.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Burning wood is a part of nature's cycle, and has been for millenia. …and nuclear power, not so much.
    Don’t let the sun know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Don’t let the sun know.

Yeah. The sun is exactly like Chernobyl, TMI, Fukushima. Great point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Don’t let the sun know.

Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying, either

Loved that in the 60's. Gerry and the Pacemakers. Play it at all Zag basketball games Mark. FYI! It's part of the milieu

True Story.

ZagDad
    Oh man, can I relate to that except it was my mom that prevented us from having A/C. She said it gave her a headache. It was fine not having A/C when we lived in Western Washington, but when we moved to Wenatchee and Spokane it was awful. She had a 2 door s10 blazer that the windows did not roll down in the back seat. It was pretty miserable.

My dad had a 73 dodge pickup that didn't have A/C either. We drove that across the state in the summer a few times. It had vinyl seats and it was awful. Any piece of skin touching the seat was glued to the seat.

I unfortunately kept the tradition alive with my firebird I had in college. I took my girlfriend (now wife) to tri cities from Spokane. That thing had started running a little hot so I would run the heater when I would see the temperature gauge going up which was most of the time in the summer. We had the t tops off, but we were still roasting. My girlfriend started complaining that it felt like hot air was coming out of the vents. I hadn't told her that I had the heat on. She was so angry at me when I did.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Platforms down below were about 15-20 degrees hotter than the outside... add in the occasional hot car... ahhh the MTA at it's finest. Remember going into Harold Sq station on a 90+ day and thought I was going to die from heat exposure before the next train came.
    Still the center of the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZq5hy2RsvM

Default Damn! It's hot!

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Oh man, can I relate to that except it was my mom that prevented us from having A/C. She said it gave her a headache. It was fine not having A/C when we lived in Western Washington, but when we moved to Wenatchee and Spokane it was awful. She had a 2 door s10 blazer that the windows did not roll down in the back seat. It was pretty miserable.

My dad had a 73 dodge pickup that didn't have A/C either. We drove that across the state in the summer a few times. It had vinyl seats and it was awful. Any piece of skin touching the seat was glued to the seat.

I unfortunately kept the tradition alive with my firebird I had in college. I took my girlfriend (now wife) to tri cities from Spokane. That thing had started running a little hot so I would run the heater when I would see the temperature gauge going up which was most of the time in the summer. We had the t tops off, but we were still roasting. My girlfriend started complaining that it felt like hot air was coming out of the vents. I hadn't told her that I had the heat on. She was so angry at me when I did.
    My Grandpa also used these to keep water cool on his many miles of driving across Eastern and Central Washington as a State Patrolman.

He would hang it from his side view mirror.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Jr
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post

In 1981, I drove my college car from Spokane to Florida to visit a friend I met in Europe the summer before (of course, no A/C). The vinyl seats started sweating in Texas and kept sweating until we got back to Montana. Wiped the seats down several times a day, did not help much. As guo3alum said, any bare skin simply stuck to the seats.

I know about that trick with the heater as well.

Driving to and thru Crates of the Moon National Monument towing an RV trailer with the outside temperature 107 Deg., the tow rig was fine as long as we kept driving at freeway speeds. However, as soon as we slowed down to 25-30 mph to go through the little towns, the water temp started rising, so off with the A/C, roll down the windows and turn on the heat. It was miserable++ until we could get through the town and back up freeway speeds.

The things we put up with when your young. Too old for that business anymore. Give me my A/C.

ZagDad

FYI burning wood is carbon neutral. The trees take co2 out of the air. when they decompose or get burned as fuel they release the carbon they have gathered. A renewable source of energy. Therefore carbon neutral. Also a study was done on efficiency of fuels - oil, gas, and wood. from start vacant ground to finishusing up the fuel with all the products, machinery manufacturing, drilling, pipe etc. wood was by far the cleanest and the most environmentally friendly.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-28-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Burning wood is a part of nature's cycle, and has been for millenia. Freon and nuclear power, not so much. Everything's gonna have some effect. I see wood as the most benign way to heat that's available to me. Just my opinion.
    It also saves $, which is tight until we sell the house eventually. And cutting and splitting wood just feels enjoyable and natural to me. IMO the issue isn't wood, it's overpopulation.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    FYI burning wood is carbon neutral. The trees take co2 out of the air. when they decompose or get burned as fuel they release the carbon they have gathered. A renewable source of energy. Therefore carbon neutral. Also a study was done on efficiency of fuels - oil, gas, and wood. from start vacant ground to finishusing up the fuel with all the products, machinery manufacturing, drilling, pipe etc. wood was by far the cleanest and the most environmentally friendly.
    Forests burning is part of the natural cycle. Man cutting to burn, not so much. And the amount of CO2 released by cutting to burn in houses has to be more than the CO2 taken out of the air. In the natural cycle, yes, but when forested lands, worldwide, are decreasing...I don't believe it.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

fun fact: Water vapor is the most significant green house gas.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    fun fact: Water vapor is the most significant green house gas.
    Not methane gas from flatulent bovines?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Forests burning is part of the natural cycle. Man cutting to burn, not so much. And the amount of CO2 released by cutting to burn in houses has to be more than the CO2 taken out of the air. In the natural cycle, yes, but when forested lands, worldwide, are decreasing...I don't believe it.
    We get scrap wood that would otherwise decompose. There's plenty of it around these parts. Never cut a tree to burn. No need

And I planted about 250,000 of them way back when.

As to the original topic- the heat- I'd suggest that something humans have done for 20.000 years (with no noticeable effect) is less likely to be the cause than what's been going on for the last 200 yrs or so, i.e. extracting and burning what's under the ground.

Pet lovers, make sure you watch out for your dogs’ or cats’ feet in these temps. Hot asphalt and concrete can cause burns.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

84 your dad was a patient and understanding man....had I made a similar argument I would have found myself dropped off at the next rest area with the advice...... that maybe I could hitch ride in a air conditioned car......mister smarty pants....

I lived in Yakima and started buying my own cars in the 50's when a new car would cost less than 2000 bucks.... and if it were available .....air conditioning would cost a additional 1000 dollars....no way would I pay that when hamburgers cost 25 cents and gas was about 30 cents a gallon.

There were a lot of boys at Gonzaga that were classmates at Marquette HS in Yakima and we made a lot of trips back and forth in cars that were not air conditioned.....but cold beer was cheap and we had buzz before we had gone 50 miles......that was before the Mothers got Mad about drunk driving... of course that was before cell phones and we got a lot of honking and thumbs up when we stopped to pee off the Vantage Bridge....times have changed.....a lot...

! was working in downtown Seattle in the 70's and bought my first new car with air conditioning.....unlike Eastern Washington, 90 degrees there was miserable and new cars cost about 7000 dollars and air was available for less than 400 .....

Now new cars cost about 50,000 and air is pretty much standard for me and necessary for resale ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    We are heading for Ocean Shores Monday morning. Temps there predicted to be in the 70's.

It will be back into the fire on Tuesday but it should only be in the high 80's instead of triple digits.
    The temps in Oceans Shores yesterday were in the 70's.
    The atmosphere here was a complete circus. The worst I have ever seen and I first came here when it was just plain Oyehut before Pat Boone had golf tournaments here. The nice restaurant where we hoped to eat was out of food and closing an hour early. The owner, turning customers away, was completely bedraggled. The lines for any food at three in the afternoon were long and slow moving. Fish from the Fish Shack was very good, though. Traffic was heavy but not jammed in downtown OS. The beach was a packed zoo.

The hotel is run down. The internet is balky. The coffee machine in the room is broken.

I would not go off the rails and claim the experience is third worldly, it is just much less than one would expect from a western Washington resort town. Herself and I agreed on a couple of things. It does not help that two weekends ago we stayed at the Davenport (the Davenport had its challenges, too). Plus even though we may never return to Ocean Shores, at mid 70’s it has been better than being home with triple digits and no a/c.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

We were one of the areas in Spokane that Avista shut off the power to yesterday afternoon. In the roughly 3 hours of no power, the house temperature rose about 5 degrees. Got a voice mail this morning that Avista may do it again this afternoon.

Oh boy.