Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn! It's hot!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Section 116, I do have a good fan, and it helps a lot.

Most probably know this but I feel obligated to say this:

Using a fan in temperatures over 100 is bad.

You’re pushing superheated air around and you will raise your body temperature.

Pour ice in bathtub. Cool air. Then fan.

Zag Law alum from Chicago. We live in the West Palm Beach Florida area now and when its even 90 the realfeel temp is 100-110 or so because of the humidity and sun. When its 95 forget it. Ill golf early in the morning and lay low in the afternoon. On the other hand, after the sun goes down its beautiful but still a bit hot. Nice to go out and have fun. Nice to be retired too! LOL We get cheap flights all over the Caribbean and Central America too. We'll take a long weekend in Panama City, Panama next month and the airfare is around $250 round trip. Again, its nice to be retired especially if you have some money.

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Zag Law alum from Chicago. We live in the West Palm Beach Florida area now and when its even 90 the realfeel temp is 100-110 or so because of the humidity and sun. When its 95 forget it. Ill golf early in the morning and lay low in the afternoon. On the other hand, after the sun goes down its beautiful but still a bit hot. Nice to go out and have fun. Nice to be retired too! LOL We get cheap flights all over the Caribbean and Central America too. We'll take a long weekend in Panama City, Panama next month and the airfare is around $250 round trip. Again, its nice to be retired especially if you have some money.
    It's nice to be retired even if you don't have enough money...lol. When asked, my reply is "retirement is underrated."

Is the World of Beers still open? I went there a couple of times when I was working for the FDIC. A most enjoyable place to visit, several great take-out places to pair with one of 800 beers...it was heavenly.

My hope when I eventually retire is that more days feel like Fridays than feel like Mondays.

Tex, if travel isn’t in the cards, at least it seems like you have a handle on flights of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My hope when I eventually retire is that more days feel like Fridays than feel like Mondays.

Tex, if travel isn’t in the cards, at least it seems like you have a handle on flights of wine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It's nice to be retired even if you don't have enough money...lol. When asked, my reply is "retirement is underrated."

Is the World of Beers still open? I went there a couple of times when I was working for the FDIC. A most enjoyable place to visit, several great take-out places to pair with one of 800 beers...it was heavenly.
    Absolute truth.

I would have pulled the trigger much sooner if I had only known. It is time to let the young folks run the world. I have faith in them.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Oh my, that would kill my wife. Did you get a hotel room? We have three heat pumps, and all of them are inoperable at the moment (unlucky, right?). At 91 degrees last evening, it was about as unbearable as can be. 4 portable ac units did next to nothing.
    We basically abandoned that half of the house, and used a portable AC unit in a back bedroom to keep it in the mid-80s, which was tolerable.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Check your PMs!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

For those who want to avoid contributing to the environmental effects of air conditioning, (such as increased global warming), a simple swamp cooler does wonders. Mine consists of a box fan, a folding clothes rack, and some cold wet towels and ice. There are a number of designs on youtube.

Accuweather says it's 101 here now, and it's a tolerable 82 in the house.

ZN mail!

Hey, Abe, My son picked up an air conditioner today and it's perking along, keeping the living room a comfy 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Life is good - or at least considerably improved!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    ZN mail!

Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Check your PMs!
    If you're referring to the PM from last week, I read it, though it seems my response was lost in the ozone...a polite way of saying I thought I responded, but hadn't...reply forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    For those who want to avoid contributing to the environmental effects of air conditioning, (such as increased global warming), a simple swamp cooler does wonders. Mine consists of a box fan, a folding clothes rack, and some cold wet towels and ice. There are a number of designs on youtube.

That's clever

Lol JP! transparent too. We’ve gone over this!!lol

maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagWhoShotLibertyValance View Post
    Most probably know this but I feel obligated to say this:

Using a fan in temperatures over 100 is bad.

You’re pushing superheated air around and you will raise your body temperature.

Pour ice in bathtub. Cool air. Then fan.
    My first summer in Mobile, Alabama...I had never experienced the heat at night combined with the humidity. I shared a room and they had window fans to help keep the air moving. I sweated profusely and chilled grossly until I was borderline pneumonia. I had to sleep under a light quilt to make it through the heat.

Absurd, but true.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.
    Yeah, I became aware of them when I stopped to visit a hs friend in Phoenix in August '79. Never needed to do more here east of Seattle than open the windows overnight and close them in the morning if it's gonna get hot- at least before now. I just need to knock off 5-10 degrees in extreme heat to make it tolerable. My post was meant more for those in the NW who just need to get thru a few of these a year.

Elec bill is $30 or less year around since we heat w/ wood.

August, any underground NYC subway platform, circa 1970s, if the heat and humidity didn't get you, the smells and the vermin did.

Thanks for the reply Texas Zag Fan! Where are you located in Texas? We were just there visiting our son in Austin. Love it there. Very nice airport., Its starting to get crowded there. LOL And I agree Retirement is grossly underrated. LOL PS Have never been to Panama City, Panama and am looking forward to it. Have any other suggestions for places to go and things to do. Be good and stay well. PS sent you a PM

Yeah, I became aware of them when I stopped to visit a hs friend in Phoenix in August '79. Never needed to do more here east of Seattle than open the windows overnight and close them in the morning if it's gonna get hot- at least before now. I just need to knock off 5-10 degrees in extreme heat to make it tolerable. My post was meant more for those in the NW who just need to get thru a few of these a year.

Elec bill is $30 or less year around since we heat w/ wood.
    Interesting that you cite the environmental effect of Air Conditioners, yet heat with wood.

Your choice and I'm not attacking, just noting.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Interesting that you cite the environmental effect of Air Conditioners, yet heat with wood.

They're going to have to pull my Traeger BBB from my cold dead fingers. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    67 here. Breezy, sunny, dry. Sigh.
    Gross. 67 in the summer just don’t sit right with me. I’ll stick with 85 and not having to wear a wetsuit when I surf.

Hang in there Pacific Northwesterners! Can’t imagine that heat with no AC! Be safe!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

Please don’t let anyone know where most of the electricity for their Teslas comes from.