Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saint Mary's signs top Euro Guard Augustas Marciulionis

Default Saint Mary's signs top Euro Guard Augustas Marciulionis

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Great and timely signing. SMC seemed to be sliding backwards past few seasons, need them to stay competitive on a national level.

We know how undervalued some of these international players can be. There is an art to the comparative valuing of kids based upon on their potential in an AAU format against kids that are practicing every day against grown pros. If you are looking to minimize risk and get young men that typically have an immediate higher floor, the European route is certainly the way to go. At a minimum, you will typically get a fundamentally sound technician. SMC's recruiting is well served by establishing these European connections.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    SMC seemed to be sliding backwards past few seasons
    This statement made me curious, so I looked it up. From the 2015-16 season thru 19-20, they had a cumulative record of 136-37, an average of 27-7. Two NCAA trips, and would have had a third last year except for covid. A win over VCU, and close, tough losses to Arizona and Nova. NIT the other years.

In reality, they had one bad year last year w/ defections and injuries playing a major part, and even then they were around 75 on kenpom and a middle seed in the NIT. Granted, they were painfully ugly to watch last year, as their own fans say.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    This statement made me curious, so I looked it up. From the 2015-16 season thru 19-20, they had a cumulative record of 136-37, an average of 27-7. Two NCAA trips, and would have had a third last year except for covid. A win over VCU, and close, tough losses to Arizona and Nova. NIT the other years.

In reality, they had one bad year last year w/ defections and injuries playing a major part, and even then they were around 75 on kenpom and a middle seed in the NIT. Granted, they were painfully ugly to watch last year, as their own fans say.
    Yep, prior to SMC having a couple key injuries and going on COVID pause they were putting together a pretty good year. They finished the non-con at 9-2 with losses to Memphis and San Diego St, and a huge win over Colorado St. Even with the injuries and pauses they still only had 2 losses in conference not to BYU or GU. They had a really tough conference schedule and that was why they were rewarded with a good seed after the KenPom seeding adjustments. They aren’t going anywhere.

During that period, SMC was more often than not, not a tourney team (like the double negative?). Next year they are stuck with largely the same team which struggled this last year at times. The horizon looks bleaker than the rear-view mirror and cupboards are (or were) bare.

This signing is huge for them. Who remembers his dad?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post

This signing is huge for them. Who remembers his dad?
    Sarunas? I wondered when I saw the name. One of the earliest Eastern Euro players to hit the NBA.

Sideshow posted this in another thread:
    "We’re starting to piece together the possible motivations over at God Is A Gael. Turns out his mom got her masters at SMC, so that might have had some influence. Not a totally random, out of the blue choice."
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I remember his dad playing for a short time with the Sonics. Glad to see SMC getting Dudes. Now schedule up and go get some OOC wins with them.

ZZ

During that period, SMC was more often than not, not a tourney team
    Factually incorrect. Two of 4 possible tourneys in the yrs I cited, and were a lock in the covid yr w/ a projected 7 seed. So that would have been 3 of 5.

See bmiller's post above for a good take on the topic.

Maybe the young man will become Randy's Bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe the young man will become Randy's Bonus.
    Might as well, Omar's status with us can't be replicated...lol.

I know GU will be a very good team next year and I hope that we, once again, go undefeated in League/Tournament play and beat both BYU and SMC in the closing minutes of our games with them. If that is the case, then both could well be tournament teams ALONG with a zero to one loss in OOC games...

There is little doubt that the WCC should be stronger at the top this year and if SMC can continue to get 4* recruits willing to play his style, then Coach Randy will be a much happier man as he walks to shake hands with opposing coaches...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    What happened? I'm confused.
    You missed it. Just more censorship. Just look up John Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    You missed it. Just more censorship. Just look up John Stockton.
    Hey guys, I just decided to leave GU Boards. I love you all but the censorship on John Stockton was over the top. I wish you all the best. GO ZAGS!!!! 2021

Later all,
    ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Hey guys, I just decided to leave GU Boards. I love you all but the censorship on John Stockton was over the top. I wish you all the best. GO ZAGS!!!! 2021

Later all,
    ZZ
    All the best to you. Sorry to see you go. I didn't see exactly what happened, but erasing persons or their opinions instead of countering them with truth, and selectively allowing speech that favors one particular side seems to be the norm on the internet these days, so nothing would surprise me.

Go Zags!

Factually incorrect. Two of 4 possible tourneys in the yrs I cited, and were a lock in the covid yr w/ a projected 7 seed. So that would have been 3 of 5.

See bmiller's post above for a good take on the topic.
    Since 2013, they’ve made the tournament twice. TWICE. (Granted, one year was lost). Before this signing they were not projected to make the tourney in 21-22.

I agree with the result-oriented analysis, but I do think that they have been good enough to make the tournament in some of the years they didn't make it. As is oft talked about here, their strategy of going all-in on beating the Zags and not creating a hard enough out-of-conference schedule backfired multiple times. They may have been good enough but didn't show it on paper for the selection committee.

I spoke with a fellow college coach who has a pipeline with Australia and he said that colleges didn’t even approach this kid because they thought and were told early on that he was nba bound without going to any college. Said he is ridiculously good.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I spoke with a fellow college coach who has a pipeline with Australia and he said that colleges didn’t even approach this kid because they thought and were told early on that he was nba bound without going to any college. Said he is ridiculously good.
    Looking forward to seeing him in action. The SMC games were less entertaining than usual, if not boring at times, last year.

Since 2013, they’ve made the tournament twice. TWICE. (Granted, one year was lost). Before this signing they were not projected to make the tourney in 21-22.
    Lunardi had them in for next yr before this signing, but whatever.

If you go back to my first post on the subject, you'll see that I was refuting, ACCURATELY (I can shout too, lol) the idea that they'd been slipping for "the last few seasons". (FWIW, "few" doesn't go back to 2013, hence the 5 yr window I chose. Please try to stay in context.) Again, 27 win average over the previous 5 yrs, and 3 NCAA caliber teams (plus a 29 win bubble team that was snubbed and went to the quarters of the NIT).

Lunardi had them in for next yr before this signing, but whatever.

If you go back to my first post on the subject, you'll see that I was refuting, ACCURATELY (I can shout too, lol) the idea that they'd been slipping for "the last few seasons". (FWIW, "few" doesn't go back to 2013, hence the 5 yr window I chose. Please try to stay in context.) Again, 27 win average over the previous 5 yrs, and 3 NCAA caliber teams (plus a 29 win bubble team that was snubbed and went to the quarters of the NIT).
    Look at the post I quoted. The range was 15-16 to present. That’s six seasons, less the one which was lost. Less than half. Going back a couple years makes it worse. I didn’t quote the post which referenced the word, “few.”

Please stop being argumentative.

I was wondering if Tommy Lloyd was ever on this one. The strong NBA lean makes sense.

SMC finished 75 on KenPom last year, their worst in 14 years, but I think that was more a product of a strange COVID year than a trend. The 5 seasons prior to that they were no lower than 38. About 3/4 of power 5 schools would love to have that consistency, and pretty much every mid-major other than GU would be ecstatic. The 2 seasons during that stretch SMC was left out of the NCAA tourney they were 32 and 34 on KenPom. I expect SMC to be back in the top 40 again this year. Also can’t forget I think last year was Bennett’s best D so far, just lost a couple offensive threats for the second half of the season.

Please stop being argumentative.
    LOL. Pot/kettle. I'm not the one who started an argument. I just presented some data that showed pretty definitively that last year was a blip and not yet a trend. If you're interested in a rational data based opinion, see bmiller's other post as well. Or keep tilting at windmills. Out.