Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root still on board?

Default Root still on board?

Sea Times reports that Root has picked up the Trailblazers games along with the Kraken for next season. Will Gonzaga still be with Root or another channel? Potentially there will be many conflicts forthcoming.

On the M's game last night when Root announced it they listed the teams you could see on Root and the Zags were one of them.

Big news on the Root Sports front.

https://theathletic.com/news/root-sp...e/DevJqKwI20m5

Root is exploring opportunities for streaming and wants to be on a streaming service by next October. It has Trailblazers, Kraken and Zags all going and it wants to have options for overage channels and wants better coverage into Alaska, Oregon and Idaho.

This could be a good breakthrough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Very good. Thank you. I just hope that they will still be on the WCC network where there are no subscription fees.
    Last edited by v13311; 06-10-2021 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add information

I don't know where the market niche stands for viability, but I would certainly pay a handsome subscription for any streaming service that could stream all the Zag games not carried on a national network. Something that Amazon or Roku could let me add as an app. Does such a thing currently exist?

People ask how you compete with the "big boys"? This is how. Regional market size has diminishing impact if:
    1) You have a national brand.
    2) You have national market reach.

There are forces at work that desire for college basketball to be market driven. Give GU a level playing field with respect to market reach, and they will compete with anyone. The Gonzaga administration should be actively working to help this happen.
    Last edited by MickMick; 06-10-2021 at 11:28 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Great just another hurdle to watch zags games. So lame
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Root is exploring opportunities for streaming and wants to be on a streaming service by next October. It has Trailblazers, Kraken and Zags all going and it wants to have options for overage channels and wants better coverage into Alaska, Oregon and Idaho.

As an out-of-stater, this is basically all it will take for me to ditch DirecTV. You could pick a streaming service out of a hat and if it carried the Zags I would 99% switch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Great just another hurdle to watch zags games. So lame
    I don't know if the trend will continue, but the CBS Sports Network cable/satellite channel carried several Zag games this past year.

Does it make any sense that the No.1 team in the country two years running wouldn’t have their basketball games carried?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Does it make any sense that the No.1 team in the country two years running wouldn’t have their basketball games carried?
    Or the No.2 team in the country two years running?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...gs/_/year/2020

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...gs/_/year/2021

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    As an out-of-stater, this is basically all it will take for me to ditch DirecTV. You could pick a streaming service out of a hat and if it carried the Zags I would 99% switch to it.
    I absolutely hate streaming. None of them are ever consistent with their play of the games even with 5 bars of WiFi and perfect internet. Picture blurry, go one step outside and it’s buffering. Doesn’t matter the channel or internet provider I have. streaming sucks still currently. Until this improves I want nothing to do with streaming.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

A parting gift from Mike Roth?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post

Doc, that's been the unfortunate case up to now. No, it was nonsensical then and would be going forward. But it seemed an unsolvable problem for the GU suits.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I absolutely hate streaming. None of them are ever consistent with their play of the games even with 5 bars of WiFi and perfect internet. Picture blurry, go one step outside and it’s buffering. Doesn’t matter the channel or internet provider I have. streaming sucks still currently. Until this improves I want nothing to do with streaming.
    Good point. It’s been a while since I’ve watched anything live on streaming. I recall it looking really weird. The extra cost for DirecTV might be worth it in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Good point. It’s been a while since I’ve watched anything live on streaming. I recall it looking really weird. The extra cost for DirecTV might be worth it in this case.
    I have been watching streams for all the European soccer between Paramount Plus and ESPN Plus and have seen no difference in quality between them and my satellite feed.

I think the quality has a lot to do with the infrastructure of the origin, but even some of the Stadium streams that carried some Zag games were improving to tolerable levels for me. I am on fiber optic internet so that probably helps.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I cut the cord and went 100% streaming with no regrets. I listen to the "Root" Zag games on internet radio. Lots of Adam Morrison.

I am completely satisfied with my streaming quality. Some productions are of lesser quality but that occasionally shows up regardless of what type of service you get.

I cut the cord for two reasons:

1) Paying 250 bucks a month for a large "bundle" of channels, more than half of which I never watch, just seems outrageously high priced to me. Maybe if they had let me pick mini-bundles for lesser cost, I would have stuck with them.
    2) Without naming a specific "news" channel, I despise the fact, that through imposed "bundling", I was forced to contribute to their revenue stream. When I say boycott, I mean boycott. I will go without any television at all before they get another nickel from me.
    I miss Mike Hart

I have DirecTV, and the quality there is not always so great either. I get sub-HD quality on HD channels, pixelation, choppiness, and I have a DVR that is laggy and won't let me save off my recordings even though the DVR is physically capable of it. On the other hand I've streamed things on my 100 mbps plan that look quite sharp and have no issues, though I generally stick to a wired connection instead of using wifi just to remove a possible failure point from the system. There seems to be a pretty wide range of quality regardless of the source.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I cut the cord and went 100% streaming with no regrets. I listen to the "Root" Zag games on internet radio. Lots of Adam Morrison.

I am completely satisfied with my streaming quality. Some productions are of lesser quality but that occasionally shows up regardless of what type of service you get.

I cut the cord for two reasons:

1) Paying 250 bucks a month for a large "bundle" of channels, more than half of which I never watch, just seems outrageously high priced to me. Maybe if they had let me pick mini-bundles for lesser cost, I would have stuck with them.
    2) Without naming a specific "news" channel, I despise the fact, that through imposed "bundling", I was forced to contribute to their revenue stream. When I say boycott, I mean boycott. I will go without any television at all before they get another nickel from me.
    Dunno, I kinda like the BYU channel.

A few months ago I made the switch from YouTube TV to AT&T TV, which is a relatively new streaming platform that is basically a streaming version of DirecTV.

I made the switch for two reasons.

1). YouTube TV got in a pissing match with the Tennis Channel and they dropped the channel. Not acceptable in our household where I have kids who are tennis obsessed;

2). It is the only steaming service I could find that would stream Root Sports.

My experience has been superb. I have had zero quality issues. The picture and sound are crystal clear. Never gets hung up or pixelated. I have a 600mbps xfinity cable line at my Bainbridge home and a 200mbps Charter cable connection at my Cannon Beach, OR home. Both are more than adequate.

If you want a real remote, you can order their own streaming box for 120 bucks. It is nice and basically functions as a Rocky/Apple TV. The one nice benefit is if you use it, they assign channel numbers to the channels you have using the same channel conventions as DorecTV (I.e, CNN is 202; ESPN is 206, Root Sports is 687, etc), which makes changing channels quicker than an Apple TV or Roku, which both lack channel numbers on their remotes.

In addition, the voice assistant is excellent and works better thay my Siri enables voice assistant on my Apple TV’s. It is google based and you need to sign in with your google gmail account to get all the features but it works very well and is snappy fast.

This may not be a solution for those out of the Root NW “footprint” —I haven’t researched that because I’m in the footprint.

But making the decision to “cut the cord” this way saves me a lot of money and I can finally get the Mariners and Zags games without getting ripped off as in the days of the old legacy Satellite based DirecTV, where I was paying 180 a month. I pay 85 a month plus taxes now and I can watch live tv anywhere I roam on an IPad or iPhone as well.

229, you lost me at your second beach home. Way too complicated for me to understand. But thanks.

I only have one beach home.

The point is: it’s worth a look and solves the Root/streaming problem—at least in the footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

The point is: it’s worth a look and solves the Root/streaming problem—at least in the footprint.
    I think most of us out of the NW Root footprint would be good with Zags basketball. The out of market restrictions will probably apply to Mariners, Trailblazers, and Kraken. They want you to buy each league’s all access subscription (MLB.tv for example).

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think most of us out of the NW Root footprint would be good with Zags basketball. The out of market restrictions will probably apply to Mariners, Trailblazers, and Kraken. They want you to buy each league’s all access subscription (MLB.tv for example).
    Exactly. I'm not in the ROOT footprint, so I just stream those cupcake ROOT games from the WCC website. Those games are actually produced by KHQ anyways. Over at my general sports board we are talking about how ROOT may add a PLUS channel. Some of the Bally Sports channels already do that for overflow sports.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

Watch out for sea lions.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look into the option you are using. I also think that DirecTV will let you out your service on hold for several months at a time, so it might be possible to use a streaming service for part of the year, and satellite only when necessary

I have Spectrum/Charter Bundle .....TV/Internet/Phone it always works perfectly......I turn it on and select the channel... easy peasey..

I think it has nearly 900 channels......as Newton Minow would say " A Vast Wasteland" .
    Last edited by bartruff1; 06-11-2021 at 09:40 PM.