Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Few Testified Before Congress Today

Default Mark Few Testified Before Congress Today

On topic of "NCAA Athlete NIL Rights".

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/2021...ete-nil-rights

There are a lot of haters on Twitter. Like it or not, Few is one of those coaches that people are going to want the opinion of. People are trying to blast him for getting too political and trying to make him hypocritical for saying in 2019 that Ga Gavin Newsone should stay in his lane.

It seems that a) Few is behind players getting paid and letting the free market regulate the limits of that and b) making it fair for everyone, given that all states are not on board with it.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 06-09-2021 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    There are a lot of haters on Twitter. Like it or not, Few is one of those coaches that people are going to want the opinion of. People are trying to blast him for getting too political and trying to make him hypocritical for saying in 2019 that Ga Gavin Newsone should stay in his lane.

It seems that a) Few is behind players getting paid and letting the free market regulate the limits of that and b) making it fair for everyone, given that all states are not on board with it.
    https://twitter.com/brennagreene_/st...924363779?s=21 [video]

Good for him. He’s a logical man whom many will listen to on both sides.

I always enjoy listening to Coach Few. While I may not always agree with him, I always know that he'll have a thoughtful response (though in this instance I do agree with him).
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

NIL will be the end of GU basketball ascendancy. All big state schools and others with lots of wealthy alumni will be able to outbid us to get the top players to their schools.

Hi, my name is whocares, i'm a Kansas Alumni. I want to sponsor you based off your image and likeness. We'll honor you at a benefit. I'll give you 2 million for attending, but the benefit is 10 days after the semester starts and I can cancel at any time. No you don't have to give a speech. Hope you're in town! Sorry, I picked Kansas completely randomly. I don't hate Kansas.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    NIL will be the end of GU basketball ascendancy. All big state schools and others with lots of wealthy alumni will be able to outbid us to get the top players to their schools.
    Horse$hit...they can already do that, been trying to do that forever. NIL will create a paper trail for money going to athletes.

ETA: as one who prepared tax returns for businesses for 20+ years, I can foresee hundreds of athletes who will be examined thoroughly by the IRS.

The most audited returns are self-employed people who claim the child tax credit, that file their own tax returns. In the past, most of those were filled out by hand, i.e. not prepared by a CPA. It was easy pickings: the IRS disallows a few deductions, which bumps up self-employed income (taxed at 15.3%). Greater income reduces the child tax credit, which adds to more taxes owed, and we haven't started talking about penalties and interest.

I believe NIL income will be seen as self-employment income, because they aren't employees of the university. The feds are going to want their piece of the pie, starting with Social Security taxes. When you're self-employed, you pay both sides of SS taxes.

It's apparent that there is much more to consider before we enter the brave new world of NIL.

Major realignment will follow shortly after. The “haves” will create their own mega conferences and the “have nots” will be left with the scraps or dissolve.
    This isn’t just about big money boosters though. It’ll be about who can market their players on social media the best and who can convince the average fan that it’s worth a $20 (or whatever) donation to go towards buying players.
    Imagine; the backup kicker at Bama or LSU will make more than the starting QB at WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeZag View Post
    Major realignment will follow shortly after. The “haves” will create their own mega conferences and the “have nots” will be left with the scraps or dissolve.
    This isn’t just about big money boosters though. It’ll be about who can market their players on social media the best and who can convince the average fan that it’s worth a $20 (or whatever) donation to go towards buying players.
    Imagine; the backup kicker at Bama or LSU will make more than the starting QB at WSU.
    Rem Bakamus would have made more at GU than the starting FB team at WSU.

Mark Few is confident in the brand he has built. Gonzaga will be competitive.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    There are plenty of parents that want to see their sons play for clean programs.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    But he wants/needs a level playing field.

https://youtu.be/VNNpJo29KRc

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There are plenty of parents that want to see their sons play for clean programs.
    Sure, but now the only thing to cheat on for those schools are the academics. We can keep the GU brand going and still compete for the top talent, but this will not help. And this will crush the smaller market schools that haven’t already built up a brand name.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I may be missing the point completely, but think that part of what Few is saying is that if you want a level playing field (I hold that loosely) you can't have California allowing players to get paid but not Arizona, or whatever. We saw how the differences in sensibilities about risk aversion from state to state threatened to derail the season last year. You could see college sports dying in states that don't allow the monies to flow, as football and basketball programs fail to get the big-time talent and struggle to draw fans, and this will make the sports that don't earn revenue suffer, as well. It seems to me that every state needs to agree on this issue, one way or the other, for this to work. I think that this is why Congress is being asked to get involved.

One argument that perhaps states can get behind is that allowing players to earn endorsements does help take colleges of the hook in regard to paying the players.

- this is my fear, i.e. the power conferences are chomping at the bit to cast aside the ncaa and create their own power league.
    - some here say gonzaga will stay competitive, but how when not in a power 5 conference?
    - i foresee basketball championships at many levels as with football. gonzaga might well win 10 national championships in a row, from the mid-major conferences.

This is really a story about realism verse idealism.

Success is more likely when realism is grasped. Or, you can swim up stream. Or fart upwind.

Mark Few proved last season that he can get ahead of the curve. As COVID threatened to cancel post season, again, Mark Few was proactive, and attempted to get his own early "final four" going. "For the good of college basketball". I believe he had Villanova, Baylor, and his old buddy from Tennessee, Rick Barnes, involved in the discussion. Just an example of how flexible and adaptive Mark Few can be. The man can think on his feet.

Mark Few is doing what Mark Few does best. Recognize the environment, identify the trend, use predictive modeling, and staying ahead of the curve. It's happening folks. So do we want our coach to scowl in protest or should he be at the forefront? He knows he isn't going to stop this run away train so obviously, he is going to stay on top of it instead. Be the face of it. In Congress. Today.
    Last edited by MickMick; 06-10-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

First off, I'd just like to comment on Coach Few's statement which he presented...not sure if he actually wrote it or if GU's lawyers wrote it but the statement was IMO perfect as it detailed how GU's success was attained and actually should be the model for all schools. He was not shy on how this subject should have been addressed years ago but was locked away in a closet...the O'Bannon lawsuit was the beginning of the NIL challenge and actually IMO, the "writing was on the wall!"

Secondly, I believe "the haves" have already been divided into the Power-Five Conferences and Notre Dame (P-5). I have little doubt that this group have developed several scenarios on how to break-off from the NCAA for football but it is my understanding that the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament is a big money maker for these schools and that they will continue to participate in this event, until they can find a sponsor that will pay the big bucks with TV rights for their own P-5 basketball tournament BUT the nation loves the current format so why try to fix something that ain't broke!

Football drives the P-5 and if there is a way to make more money dropping out of the NCAA for that sport, it will happen. NIL, if. not regulated, worded correctly will turn out like the US Constitution that has and will continue to be interpreted 10,000 different ways as the wording back then was succinct for that time period but not for today...

I don't envy those Congressional Staffs' in trying to get the wording "correct" so that all the possible loopholes can be discussed. The NIL Law will wind up being a book that will be larger than the recruiting "book" currently used by the NCAA.

Money makes the world-go-round and there is a real possibility that if the NIL isn't written "correctly" then collegiate sports as it is known today will transition to an other product that we won't recognize...I hate regulation but this will really have to be regulated!

TZF discusses taxation but this IMO is going to be another gray area but maybe he is spot on and hopefully so as there must be a way to ensure the NIL doesn't get out of hand...

As Sam Adams said on the KHQ 6 morning broadcast today, you have to love the fact that even when testifying before congress, Few still does not wear a tie.

'The future of college sports is in jeopardy,' Gonzaga's Mark Few tells Cantwell's Senate panel on student-athlete pay

Gonzaga men's basketball coach Mark Few and National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert, a Pierce County native who served as the University of Washington's president before taking the helm of the NCAA in 2010, testified in a hearing convened by Sen. Maria Cantwell, a Washington Democrat who chairs the Senate Commerce Committee.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/future-co...020100900.html

I love that he's wearing the same shirt and coat without a tie that he wears during games.

Whether you agree with him or not, his testimony only helps recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

college sports is going the way of professional sports and the values many loved about college basketball are being decimated....loyalty, growth,work ethic, patience, discipline.....nope....now its "whats in it for me"..
    athletes already get paid, and paid well. this NIL was not needed but at least one would think there would be strict parameters to control the wide spread hunt for FAME AND FORTUNE....

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I love that he's wearing the same shirt and coat without a tie that he wears during games.

Whether you agree with him or not, his testimony only helps recruiting.
    Always Be Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Always Be Recruiting
    Speaking of which, half of his testimony was a de facto advertisement for GU. They do some really cool things for their student athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    'The future of college sports is in jeopardy,' Gonzaga's Mark Few tells Cantwell's Senate panel on student-athlete pay

Gonzaga men's basketball coach Mark Few and National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert, a Pierce County native who served as the University of Washington's president before taking the helm of the NCAA in 2010, testified in a hearing convened by Sen. Maria Cantwell, a Washington Democrat who chairs the Senate Commerce Committee.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/future-co...020100900.html
    good for Mark to utilize the opportunity as a pitch for GU

edit: and I mean that sincerely, not tongue in cheek
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 06-10-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarity