Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 132

Thread: 2022 Guard Anthony Black

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Major Oklahoma State lean. Don’t get too excited.
    As long as the Zags get him on campus there is certainly a chance. If he was such a Ok St lean, why hasn't he committed already? Flying halfway across country just to go on a visit for a school he already knows he doesn't plan on attending at all certainly seems a little far-fetched. Maybe he likes traveling, but that really seems like a hassle. Before the crystal ball switches he was showing Gonzaga leans.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Oklahoma State likely pushing the Cade Cunningham comp. But Jazz is basing this off crystal balls which aren’t a done deal by any stretch, as we just saw with Jaden Bradley going to Alabama after a couple Arizona predictions.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Oklahoma State likely pushing the Cade Cunningham comp. But Jazz is basing this off crystal balls which aren’t a done deal by any stretch, as we just saw with Jaden Bradley going to Alabama after a couple Arizona predictions.
    I mean if they are going to push Cade Cunningham as the comparison, wouldn't the Zags just turn right around and showcase Suggs? Who had the more successful season last year? Obviously Cunningham went higher in the draft by a couple of spots but honestly who got more exposure?

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I mean if they are going to push Cade Cunningham as the comparison, wouldn't the Zags just turn right around and showcase Suggs? Who had the more successful season last year? Obviously Cunningham went higher in the draft by a couple of spots but honestly who got more exposure?
    Black is a Cunningham type of player. Body and skills. But obviously he can bring that to Gonzaga and excel as well. The player comp is more Cunningham than Suggs though.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Pros and Cons List: Why Gonzaga over OK ST?
    America's Team!

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    "One of the best basketball players in the nation may be forced to sit out his senior season.

    Five-star guard Anthony Black, who transferred from Coppell to defending Class 6A state champion Duncanville, has been ruled ineligible by the district executive committee from 11-6A. The DEC ruled that the third-ranked player in Texas transferred for athletic purposes when he left Coppell and transferred to a Duncanville program that has won the last two 6A state championships.
    ...

    Mansfield ISD executive director of athletics Philip O’Neal, the chairman of the 11-6A DEC, said that Coppell marked on Black’s Previous Athletic Participation Form that he transferred for athletic purposes. That triggered the DEC meeting, and it was a unanimous vote that Black should be ineligible.

    The 6-7 Black is appealing the ruling and will have his case heard by the UIL state executive committee on Wednesday. The UIL has the power to reverse the DEC’s ruling and could grant Black his eligibility. Duncanville coach David Peavy declined to comment. Coppell coach Clint Schnell did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment.

    Black is rated the 25th-best player in the country in the 247Sports composite rankings. He lists 21 college offers on his recruiting page, including national champion Baylor and national runner-up Gonzaga.

    Black was a second-team all-area selection last season. He averaged 16.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2 steals per game for Coppell and was the District 6-6A MVP.

    Black is one of two elite transfers who joined a Duncanville team that is coming off a 29-1 season. Four-star junior wing Ashton Hardaway, the son of four-time NBA All-Star Penny Hardaway, announced in July that he was transferring to Duncanville from Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, Calif.

    O’Neal said there was no DEC meeting held regarding Hardaway.

    Duncanville still has one of the best players in the nation in five-star junior power forward Ron Holland. Holland, rated the No. 1 player in Texas and the 13th-best recruit in the nation in the Class of 2023, helped the USA Basketball men’s under-16 national team win the FIBA Americas U16 Championship in Mexico in August."

    https://www.dallasnews.com/high-scho...o-duncanville/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    That transfer rule is terrible.

    As for pros and cons, I hesitate to do something like that because you never know what factors are in play in a kid's decision. Gonzaga's biggest strengths are pretty attractive to just about anybody: a true family atmosphere built over the last 20 years and the best offense in the nation year after year, which has enough scoring for guards and bigs. But I can't blame someone if they don't want to go to college in Eastern WA, especially if that's thousands of miles from home. And the conference is a negative, unfortunately.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Would you like to be Cunningham 2.0 or Black 1.0?

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Sign him up for this year, since he might not be able to play his sr year.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    That transfer rule is terrible.

    As for pros and cons, I hesitate to do something like that because you never know what factors are in play in a kid's decision. Gonzaga's biggest strengths are pretty attractive to just about anybody: a true family atmosphere built over the last 20 years and the best offense in the nation year after year, which has enough scoring for guards and bigs. But I can't blame someone if they don't want to go to college in Eastern WA, especially if that's thousands of miles from home. And the conference is a negative, unfortunately.
    I thought if a kid lived in an area that was within a particular school's boundaries, then that kid had to go to that school unless the parents moved or the kid went to live with another relative in a different high school's boundary. Moving for athletic opportunity should not be a reason for transferring...in this day and age there are all kinds of summer basketball, baseball/softball, track, tennis, swimming etc. activities where kids can find programs in which to compete competitively with other stellar athletes...IMO

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I thought if a kid lived in an area that was within a particular school's boundaries, then that kid had to go to that school unless the parents moved or the kid went to live with another relative in a different high school's boundary. Moving for athletic opportunity should not be a reason for transferring...in this day and age there are all kinds of summer basketball, baseball/softball, track, tennis, swimming etc. activities where kids can find programs in which to compete competitively with other stellar athletes...IMO
    There is no way in hell that Duncanville is better academically than Coppell. That's proven by the latest US News & World Report rankings: Coppell at #89 in Texas, Duncanville at #872.

    Sorry folks, but Mr. Black is not Zag material, he'll transfer at the first bump in the road in Spokane.

    Yeah, I'm biased...my 3 kids and Big D have all gone to Coppell ISD schools.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

    Sorry folks, but Mr. Black is not Zag material, he'll transfer at the first bump in the road in Spokane.
    Well I guess that settles it. . .

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Well I guess that settles it. . .
    LOL, I know my opinion is in the minority.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There is no way in hell that Duncanville is better academically than Coppell. That's proven by the latest US News & World Report rankings: Coppell at #89 in Texas, Duncanville at #872.

    Sorry folks, but Mr. Black is not Zag material, he'll transfer at the first bump in the road in Spokane.

    Yeah, I'm biased...my 3 kids and Big D have all gone to Coppell ISD schools.
    Seeing as, I presume, you have very little information to go on in evaluating this young man's character or values, is there any chance you can find a more charitable interpretation of his decision?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    You know, some opinions can be left in your head instead of being posted to the thread in our recruiting target's name. Not everything needs to be public record. Smh.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There is no way in hell that Duncanville is better academically than Coppell. That's proven by the latest US News & World Report rankings: Coppell at #89 in Texas, Duncanville at #872.

    Sorry folks, but Mr. Black is not Zag material, he'll transfer at the first bump in the road in Spokane.

    Yeah, I'm biased...my 3 kids and Big D have all gone to Coppell ISD schools.
    Hahahaha. Alright then.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    You know, some opinions can be left in your head instead of being posted to the thread in our recruiting target's name. Not everything needs to be public record. Smh.
    Bingo.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

    NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Seeing as, I presume, you have very little information to go on in evaluating this young man's character or values, is there any chance you can find a more charitable interpretation of his decision?
    Sure, there's always a chance. I'm going to reach out into my limited circle and see if it had more to do to things like a conflict with the coach. There's a history of that at Coppell, such as the severe overuse of Corey Kluber when he pitched for Coppell HS...so severe, he broke his forearm.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    You know, some opinions can be left in your head instead of being posted to the thread in our recruiting target's name. Not everything needs to be public record. Smh.
    It already WAS in the public record, scrooner, as in the Dallas Morning News sports page on Friday.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It already WAS in the public record, scrooner, as in the Dallas Morning News sports page on Friday.
    Pretty sure he’s talking about your opinion, not the story about being ineligible. Just comes across as your feelings being hurt with him leaving Coppell.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pretty sure he’s talking about your opinion, not the story about being ineligible. Just comes across as your feelings being hurt with him leaving Coppell.
    Yes.

    Top-tier athletes transfer to different high schools for athletics all the time. The fact that this one happened in your backyard doesn't make him "not Zag Material".

    Black is one of two elite transfers who joined a Duncanville team that is coming off a 29-1 season. Four-star junior wing Ashton Hardaway, the son of four-time NBA All-Star Penny Hardaway, announced in July that he was transferring to Duncanville from Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, Calif.

    O’Neal said there was no DEC meeting held regarding Hardaway.


    The only difference between Black and Hardaway is that Black transferred from a nearby high school and his family didn't need to move because Duncanville is only 30 minutes away.

  23. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There is no way in hell that Duncanville is better academically than Coppell. That's proven by the latest US News & World Report rankings: Coppell at #89 in Texas, Duncanville at #872.

    Sorry folks, but Mr. Black is not Zag material, he'll transfer at the first bump in the road in Spokane.

    Yeah, I'm biased...my 3 kids and Big D have all gone to Coppell ISD schools.
    What? It's not about academics, it's about having a fun successful senior year and possibly winning a state title and playing with other talented players. AB is a fine student and will do great academically wherever he's at. This forum has turned into a cringe fest. Why would anyone who claims to be a zag fan sabotage our recruiting efforts? Whoever our coaches go after is always zag material, duh....

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pretty sure he’s talking about your opinion, not the story about being ineligible. Just comes across as your feelings being hurt with him leaving Coppell.
    How about following long established rules? All his mom had to do was move into Duncanville, case closed.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    What? It's not about academics, it's about having a fun successful senior year and possibly winning a state title and playing with other talented players. AB is a fine student and will do great academically wherever he's at. This forum has turned into a cringe fest. Why would anyone who claims to be a zag fan sabotage our recruiting efforts? Whoever our coaches go after is always zag material, duh....
    School is not about academics? How short sighted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •