Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timme-Putting in the work this summer

I have to wonder if Timme is helping Watson at all with footwork/moves/feel down low. Timme is special and what makes him special can’t all be taught, in my opinion, but Watson could make a leap in productivity if he is more of an offensive threat down there.

If I shot 250-300 3 pointers a day I could potentially be in the NBA. The only thing holding me back is the second run down the court I would collapse.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    If I shot 250-300 3 pointers a day I could potentially be in the NBA. The only thing holding me back is the second run down the court I would collapse.
    Sounds like you need a better motor. Maybe a carburetor, actually. I sucked wind so badly the last time I tried to play. It didn’t help that I was guarding a track athlete. I couldn’t keep up with a backpedal and didn’t dare rebound; I literally ran down the court off of a miss and didn’t turn around to pick up my man until I got to the free throw line. It was humbling...

Red face Watson '"s beginning

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Sounds like you need a better motor. Maybe a carburetor, actually. I sucked wind so badly the last time I tried to play. It didnít help that I was guarding a track athlete. I couldnít keep up with a backpedal and didnít dare rebound; I literally ran down the court off of a miss and didnít turn around to pick up my man until I got to the free throw line. It was humbling...
    As I recall Watson wasn't high on any A A list but several times during those early games , the announcers referred to him as "the best player on the floor" (cf some of the file films available for review. I would suggest to some of his harsh critics that his full recovery < including Psychological, will be great. Just wait and see!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Sounds like you need a better motor. Maybe a carburetor, actually. I sucked wind so badly the last time I tried to play. It didnít help that I was guarding a track athlete. I couldnít keep up with a backpedal and didnít dare rebound; I literally ran down the court off of a miss and didnít turn around to pick up my man until I got to the free throw line. It was humbling...
    Time for Wim Hof breathing.

https://youtu.be/nzCaZQqAs9I
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    If you shot 250-300 and made 60-70% you could potentially be in the NBA. They would get you in shape.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If you shot 250-300 and made 60-70% you could potentially be in the NBA. They would get you in shape.
    "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" - Vince Lombardi
    I miss Mike Hart

Vince and Yogi, storehouses of compact gems

BLOOD, SWEAT AND RESPECT. FIRST TWO YOU GIVE. LAST ONE YOU EARN.
    – DWAYNE “THE ROCK” JOHNSON

Timme has largely been ignored in this conversation.

He was POY level last year. But it wouldn't hurt him at all if he chiseled out those shoulders and maybe stronger/quicker. Also, 100 three pointers a day, see if he can make 35% and have the NBA calling.

Watson. some of the motor stuff is overdone on account of his body language. Not everyone is Calvary, Clarke, Morrison type of personality. But fire breathing through the nose would help him, one plays a bit like how one acts.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think Timme has learned a lot from Kispert. I believe Timme is getting the kind of training that Kispert got the summer before his senior year. I was so shocked by how much Kispert had improved. I'm not sure what he did to acquire that, but I'm sure Timme found out and is doing the same thing. One big difference. Timme was much better last season than Kispert was in his Junior year; so we won't see as much improvement, but we can all expect some, and I believe that that will be in his outside shooting and his body building. I think he needs to bulk up some.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Defense.

thanks for the link, enjoyed it

so, motor of course typically often defined by what a player does on D, and AW shows up there big, his role last season was important. so, interesting comment

confidence can affect motor too...where to be, what to do, how to do it, and why and when, etc.; hiccups in there somewhere bring it down, injuries and recovery can slow it down.

if, like Drew, AW can expand his offensive game this off season (which they both need to do, they're the first to go for that, right?) with a better body and conditioned strength, improved range and more release points around the rim, his motor will be fine imo as opponents won't be able to load up on his left shoulder and he'll be more able to absorb contact and convert. He'll have to earn the touches by proving it when he gets them and in practice, there are many competing. we'll see

anyway it goes, agree with JP that it's cool they are working out together, and with hoop's post, and would add that I hope to watch them both take an upperclassmen leap

Timme will go into next season playing at a first team AA level even before he expands his game this summer. He knows that, but thatís not where h wants to be. He wants, and needs to, extend his shooting range, build strength and work on lateral movement for defensive purposes. His game doesnít translate to the NBA yet. What he is is a great college player that will be better than Garza, the last college POY. He knows, and his trainer knows, what will make him money at the next level. Right now, we all need to enjoy his dominance in the college game.

Watson is difficult to define because of injury setbacks and his demeanor on the court. I disagree with labeling him as having motor deficiencies. Look at some tape of his first few games out of the box as a freshman. Few put him at the top of the zone press. Nobody does that with a kid that doesnít give a full effort on every defensive possession. His demeanor was the same then, yet there were stretches when the opposition couldnít get it past half court for multiple possessions in a row. I would label his motor as ďfluidĒ instead of balls out.

Watson will expand his offensive game this next year and will evolve into a defensive nightmare for the Zags opposition.

Timme should also improve his FT %. He should be an 85% FT shooter at a minimum. Don’t need Raivio percentage of 90+%.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Timme should also improve his FT %. He should be an 85% FT shooter at a minimum. Don’t need Raivio percentage of 90+%.
    I would be ecstatic with 80% and happy with 75 - 78%.

So hypothetically lets say Timme manages to get himself to be a 38-40% 3pt shooter over the summer via his workouts - how does he get used in conjunction with Holmgren? Holmgren, for all intents & purposes, is a wing on offense. Will there be a lot of 4-out sets with Watson playing the lone post? How would that work with Watson on the bench and Timme/Holmgren at the 5/4? Just curious what the offense looks like when all the bigs on the floor shoot 3's. You know Timme is going to want to showcase this ability.

Luka Garza had 4.1 3pt attempts per 40 last year, compared to Drew's 0.9 attempts. I don't think Drew will shoot as many as Garza, but there's certainly room between 0.9 and 4.1 for him to shoot outside more and showcase that skill while still playing primarily in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Timme will go into next season playing at a first team AA level even before he expands his game this summer. He knows that, but thatís not where h wants to be. He wants, and needs to, extend his shooting range, build strength and work on lateral movement for defensive purposes. His game doesnít translate to the NBA yet. What he is is a great college player that will be better than Garza, the last college POY. He knows, and his trainer knows, what will make him money at the next level. Right now, we all need to enjoy his dominance in the college game.

Watson is difficult to define because of injury setbacks and his demeanor on the court. I disagree with labeling him as having motor deficiencies. Look at some tape of his first few games out of the box as a freshman. Few put him at the top of the zone press. Nobody does that with a kid that doesnít give a full effort on every defensive possession. His demeanor was the same then, yet there were stretches when the opposition couldnít get it past half court for multiple possessions in a row. I would label his motor as ďfluidĒ instead of balls out.

Watson will expand his offensive game this next year and will evolve into a defensive nightmare for the Zags opposition.
    People keep on pointing to the injury as the reason for overall tentativeness, lack of quickness, speed, etc.

I donít agree.

I think itís weight, quite frankly. Thatís what I see slowing down response time, quickness and overall effectiveness. Itís solvable.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    So hypothetically lets say Timme manages to get himself to be a 38-40% 3pt shooter over the summer via his workouts - how does he get used in conjunction with Holmgren? Holmgren, for all intents & purposes, is a wing on offense. Will there be a lot of 4-out sets with Watson playing the lone post? How would that work with Watson on the bench and Timme/Holmgren at the 5/4? Just curious what the offense looks like when all the bigs on the floor shoot 3's. You know Timme is going to want to showcase this ability.
    Holmgren will start outside and Timme won't in the half court set. When teams switch, Timme will get his chance from 3 (like Garza did). I bet he will have the green light to let fly 3 pointers when open but won't hunt it.

I'd say a lot more high/low with Watson in (and he's pretty good with the "seal screen" when guys drive).

My biggest concern is defensive rebounding with the new group. We need some scrappers and the guy that would best fit that role is out with a back injury right now. Offensive rebounding kills GU's ability to run.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Holmgren will start outside and Timme won't in the half court set. When teams switch, Timme will get his chance from 3 (like Garza did). I bet he will have the green light to let fly 3 pointers when open but won't hunt it.

I'd say a lot more high/low with Watson in (and he's pretty good with the "seal screen" when guys drive).

My biggest concern is defensive rebounding with the new group. We need some scrappers and the guy that would best fit that role is out with a back injury right now. Offensive rebounding kills GU's ability to run.
    I'm am simply salivating thinking about watching all the different plays this team is going to employ next year.

[QUOTE
    I think it’s weight, quite frankly. That’s what I see slowing down response time, quickness and overall effectiveness. It’s solvable.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.
    Last edited by Unbiased; 06-10-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: error in quotes

I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    People keep on pointing to the injury as the reason for overall tentativeness, lack of quickness, speed, etc.

I donít agree.

I think itís weight, quite frankly. Thatís what I see slowing down response time, quickness and overall effectiveness. Itís solvable.
    Go to the video tape. He was at least 25 lbs heavier last year than as freshman.

Would NOT shock me to see high pick and roll with Holmgren and Timme. Most defenders will not be able to manage this type of play
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few