Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timme-Putting in the work this summer

Default Timme-Putting in the work this summer

From Jim Meehan and the Sunday Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ting-in-work-/

Nice article. Thanks!

The most interesting part of the article was learning that Anton is spending a month or two in Texas with Drew and training with the same trainer. (Living with Drew's family?) - Anton taking a jump next year would be great.

The 6-8 Watson is spending a few weeks training with his good friend Timme. Watson started 17 of 32 games last season and averaged 6.9 points and 3.3 rebounds.

Watson (71.1%) and Timme (67.7%) ranked among the most accurate shooters inside the arc in the nation, but both have room for growth from distance. They combined to make just 9 of 41 on 3-pointers last season.

“The biggest thing with Anton is his range and his motor,” said Relph, who played one year at West Virginia and three at St. Bonaventure. “We’re trying to increase his motor and trying to get him to understand what it’s like to want to be and try to be a pro.

I hope Anton picks it up. Defense is very good but his strong suit in shooting is only Layups. As I read the former post, the “want to be” is called “desire”. Hard to teach that. Kid has talent. Much of Anton’s talent remains undeveloped. Let’s hope his
    desire cures that. Just my opinion.

How does a trainer increase "motor"? Seems like something the player brings to the party.

ZZ

Awesome read. Thanks for posting, I don’t think I’d have found this otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    How does a trainer increase "motor"? Seems like something the player brings to the party.

ZZ
    Anton was a big fish in Washington. With his injury and step up in physicality it was a huge jump for a nice kid. I'm sure being properly motivated by an outside source couldn't hurt plus having Drew and other big's like Cockburn to practice against would help. I'm guessing its a "don't get your feeling hurt" atmosphere where taking criticism is a norm. I hope it brings out the beast he has in him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’d say.... a little concerning for the trainer to single out Anton’s motor as a negative in a comment to the media. Just hardly ever see something like that. Hopefully he’s trying to light a bit of a fire under him.

"Motor" is why I am so quick to include Casey Calvary in so many of my favorite lists. Motor short definition: "Want to" (Can be substituted every time you see the word "motor".)

Top Zag "Motors":

1) Casey Calvary
    2) Joel Ayayi
    3) Brandon Clarke
    4) Mike Hart

Top motor while playing in pain: Blake Steppe
    Top motor while screaming for the ball: Adam Morrison
    Top motor that hides youthful mistakes: Jalen Suggs (You gladly live with em)
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    "Motor" is why I am so quick to include Casey Calvary in so many of my favorite lists. Motor short definition: "Want to" (Can be substituted every time you see the word "motor".)

Top Zag "Motors":

1) Casey Calvary
    2) Joel Ayayi
    3) Brandon Clarke
    4) Mike Hart

Top motor that hides youthful mistakes: Jalen Suggs
    Biggest motor : Sabonis !!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It is a mistake to assume a “lack of motor” in a 19 year old is an innate and immutable characteristic. Besides, Anton shows flashes of real desire (mostly on defense). Some motors just need more time to get revving, as it were.
    Last edited by tyra; 06-06-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Hesitancy after injury isn’t abnormal at all, and frankly he looked more aggressive before he got injured as a freshman than he has since. Getting back to that mindset is crucial for him to grow, and it shows in his body language on the court. Spending part of the summer training with Timme seems like a great way to pick it back up!

I'm going a different route with "motor." Ralph might mean a literal interpretation of motor - like short on gas, little horsepower.
    Anton was never in the best of shape these past two seasons. maybe he is working on developing his stamina, physical strength, and wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    I'm going a different route with "motor." Ralph might mean a literal interpretation of motor - like short on gas, little horsepower.
    Anton was never in the best of shape these past two seasons. maybe he is working on developing his stamina, physical strength, and wind.
    I probably wasn't clear enough about this, but none of my discussion in this thread was made with Anton in mind.

I'm in the minority relative to some of the more vocal critics of Watson here. I was more than pleased with his progression and "motor". If not for the fluke way (albeit very beneficial way) in which the NCAA handled eligibility, Watson would have been playing 25 minutes a game and I would have been just fine with that. No one envisioned Nembhard or Gregg being immediately eligible and it was Nembhard's superior play that ultimately robbed Watson of "starters" minutes. The Zags would have still been really, really good with Anton playing a bigger role. Perhaps not as good (because Nembhard is a real gem), but definitely still in the final four mix.
    Last edited by MickMick; 06-07-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Top Zag "Motors":

1) Casey Calvary
    2) Joel Ayayi
    3) Brandon Clarke
    4) Mike Hart

what a mouthful !!!
    and all of them bulleyes

Top Zag "Motors":

1) Casey Calvary
    2) Joel Ayayi
    3) Brandon Clarke
    4) Mike Hart

Mick, you ok? You left out Zag motor #1. And supplanting Nemby, who at times was the best Zag on the court, would have cost a F4 appearance, IMO.

As well, Watson had a low engine rep in high school, as reported here.

Top Zag "Motors":

1) Casey Calvary
    2) Joel Ayayi
    3) Brandon Clarke
    4) Mike Hart

When you talk motor there should be no list with Mike Hart number 4 on it. Mike Hart played with a higher motor than anyone that I have ever seen at Gonzaga, and I have been watching the Zags for a long time. There are a over a hundred players here that have more talent than Hart, but none of them had a higher motor than. If some of these talented players had the motor that Hart had, no telling how many great teams the Zags would have had.

Watson freshman highlights are a fun watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOGscqdzIc

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Watson freshman highlights are a fun watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOGscqdzIc
    Wow, who is that guy? Saw none of that last year. His weight gain is obvious as is his loss of quickness. Clearly, something to work on.

Good to see him recovering from the injury/getting the confidence back and getting ready to make an impact this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Wow, who is that guy? Saw none of that last year. His weight gain is obvious as is his loss of quickness. Clearly, something to work on.
    I think we just started to see glimpses of him again late last season as he started to get the confidence and feel back. I see bright things ahead for Anton.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

It's amazing to me that we've turned a great story about teammates working hard to improve into something that complains about one of the players. Good grief, we're becoming one of those entitled Blue Bloods.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Thinking about Watson getting back to pre-shoulder injury playing ability makes me salivate as a Zag fan.

The guy was a terror on defense, especially when it came to using his length to disrupt passing lanes and get steals. Not to mention after watching those freshman year youtube highlights he looked much faster and more bouncy at a lower body weight. Post injury he has seemed slower laterally, slower off the floor, less confident and less aggressive.

So happy to hear he's training hard this summer with a talent like Timme who really just gets it. And I'm glad to hear his trainer isn't pulling any punches in telling him honestly what he's lacking and what he needs to work on.

Freshman pre-injury Watson was a future NBA player imo, we'll have to see if he can get back to that level of potential.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I think Watson will be a stud this season and will earn a good chunk of PT. This is his first off-season to work on his game at full-strength.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    It's amazing to me that we've turned a great story about teammates working hard to improve into something that complains about one of the players. Good grief, we're becoming one of those entitled Blue Bloods.
    naaaa usually one person who does this on a constant basis....most see, embrace, understand and enjoy watching our players work hard and constant improving while holding team first ideology
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few