Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coach K -- one more and done...

Personally, I hope that Duke/Zags game stays close...until the opening tip. Then I would like to see the Zags up by 40 at the half.

If Coach needs 30 wins to get to 2000, I would like the season win totals to be in single digits, then maybe they could vacate several seasons.

I don't really care for Coach K. Can you tell?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Default Dean Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    One thing is certain that the word "GREAT" is a word too often used and references too many individuals that were good but not Great IMO...

The GREAT ones: Al McGuire, Hank Iba, Adolph Rupp, Clair Bee, Denny Crum, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Coach K and John Wooden. Several of these coaches worked in an era when winning 20 games in a season was a tremendous accomplishment and today, winning 20 games is a minimum to having a decent season. Now winning 30+ games is the standard of excellence and then only if you're a Blue Blood program...IMO

Bobby had his moments too but as a coach he was GREAT as well...He lost only one Final Four game and that was to Coach K...

Dean Smith had more talent than any other coach and won only ONE championship

Coach Wooden only lost one Championship game (1974) to break his consecutive streak

Doc it is Coach K's body of work that counts...Coach K has been to 12 Final Fours and is tied with the GREAT John Wooden...His numbers are just off the charts...

I'm no longer a fan of Duke & Coach K BUT I was a die-hard Dukie until one day, by mistake no doubt, he was caught on a live mike cursing out a referee using language I thought only sailors like myself knew (10+ years ago)...at that time it was over for me BUT he is a GREAT coach and #2 behind Coach Wooden...

I think it is time for him to retire as he has lost some perspective in his philosophy that winning is everything BUT it is HOW you win that is most important...

Final Tidbit - Key point to remember WINNING isn't everything unless you are in the US Military!!!
    Great points but I know Dean smith has at least two chips with titles over Georgetown and the fab five and Michigan.

For so many reasons, there's Deano and the next tier is up for grabs. Wooden routinely looked askance at booster cheating and had the two best centers ever to play CBB. So no idolatry from me. Bobby was a mutt, though a great coach. Ricky and Larry were brilliant but flawed. On and on.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Great points but I know Dean smith has at least two chips with titles over Georgetown and the fab five and Michigan.
    Yes, you are absolutely right...my memory escaped me thanks for the reminder but with ALL the talent he had, there should have been more titles than Coach K...IMO

All of the bile I see in this thread toward Coach K is disappointing. There is no debate he’s one of the best hoops coaches ever. And he is no angel and not perfect. But he’s won more games than anyone and by a country mile. He had all those titles and a dozen Final Fours. He may not be squeaky clean, but he sure ain’t dirty in any manner comparable to the Caliparis, Pearls, Pitinos, and Sampsons of the college hoops world. He seems to get the best out of his players and help them become winners. Not just in hoops, but in life.

I would hope we’d have the class to recognize him for the positives and the integrity to acknowledge him for his contributions.

When we beat Duke in Maui we all universally celebrated it as a program-defining win for the ages. And it was. Because we beat Coach K and his Duke team—the best of the best over the past few decades. I would never want to diminish that feat by denigrating Coach K or his work at Duke.

Most of this thread reads like sour grapes from a fan base who hasn’t been there. And that is disappointing.

For me, I tip my cap to Coach K on a phenomenal career and wish him and his family all the best in retirement.

I’m sure he had no idea Zion’s parents house (mansion) in Durham was paid for...

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    All of the bile I see in this thread toward Coach K is disappointing. There is no debate he’s one of the best hoops coaches ever. And he is no angel and not perfect. But he’s won more games than anyone and by a country mile. He had all those titles and a dozen Final Fours. He may not be squeaky clean, but he sure ain’t dirty in any manner comparable to the Caliparis, Pearls, Pitinos, and Sampsons of the college hoops world. He seems to get the best out of his players and help them become winners. Not just in hoops, but in life.

I would hope we’d have the class to recognize him for the positives and the integrity to acknowledge him for his contributions.

When we beat Duke in Maui we all universally celebrated it as a program-defining win for the ages. And it was. Because we beat Coach K and his Duke team—the best of the best over the past few decades. I would never want to diminish that feat by denigrating Coach K or his work at Duke.

Most of this thread reads like sour grapes from a fan base who hasn’t been there. And that is disappointing.

For me, I tip my cap to Coach K on a phenomenal career and wish him and his family all the best in retirement.
    He is as sickening as his mentor bobby knight, and that is pretty sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    He is as sickening as his mentor bobby knight, and that is pretty sickening.
    Really? Did he throw a chair onto the floor? Did he put a player in a choke hold? Did he go in a tirade threatening to make his players puke because of “Purdue on Monday?” Did he threaten to fight a reporter at a press conference?

Coach K has never done anything as appalling as even one of these or any untold other of Bobby Knight’s deplorable antics.

Denigrating your opponents only serves to denigrate your achievements. Coach K has had a spectacular career, and a lot of amazing players and people played for him in his career.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Denigrating your opponents only serves to denigrate your achievements. Coach K has had a spectacular career, and a lot of amazing players and people played for him in his career.
    Nearly all of them have flamed out or underperformed (Looking at you Will Avery, Jabari Parker, Justise Winslow, et many al) in the NBA, supporting the case that he does more with less, or that the Dook mystique is overrated, or both.

There will always be people who resent success.....like the kids say...." Haters are going to hate "......

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    There will always be people who resent success.....like the kids say...." Haters are going to hate "......
    All due respect Bart, it’s a little more complicated than that.

Like the kids say...............Whatever