Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach K -- one more and done...

Default Coach K -- one more and done...

NCAA Men's Basketball
    Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    33m
    BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told
    @stadium
    . Official announcement expected soon.

The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Amazingly, Brad Stevens just became available.

“The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Amazingly, Brad Stevens just became available.
    Promoted to replace Danny Ainge as president of basketball operations, said he has been getting tired of the grind of coaching.

This isn’t the one job Few would take, is it?

Scheyer has already been named replacement. No way Few takes this. He isnt leaving for any job. He is set in Spokane and GU is already at the moment a better program than Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    This isn’t the one job Few would take, is it?
    Not in a million years. Because if it ever did happen, I would have to set fire to my Zag hoodie.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

I gotta think Scheyer is going to be less appealing to the one and doners than K. Can't wait to see him crater the program.

Which former player taking over a legendary program will fare better--Scheyer or Davis at UNC? Hubert gets a 1 year headstart.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I gotta think Scheyer is going to be less appealing to the one and doners than K. Can't wait to see him crater the program.

Which former player taking over a legendary program will fare better--Scheyer or Davis at UNC? Hubert gets a 1 year headstart.

Jon has Matt Doherty written all over him.

Jon Scheyer has been an Asst Coach at Duke since 2017...and has yet to reach a Final 4 during his tenure there.

Hard to do but still...interesting.

Scheyer connects well with kids and has been the lead recruiter for their stars over the last few years. Smart guy and should make a very good coach. Obviously a hard guy to follow but saying they haven’t made a FF since he’s been an assistant is kind of irrelevant and saying he can’t get top recruits is likely incorrect.

Anybody got tickets yet? Ought to be a barn burner ...

Duke, Gonzaga to Clash on Black Friday in Las Vegas
    The game is set for Friday, Nov. 26 at T-Mobile Arena
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/5/men...las-vegas.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Scheyer connects well with kids and has been the lead recruiter for their stars over the last few years. Smart guy and should make a very good coach. Obviously a hard guy to follow but saying they haven’t made a FF since he’s been an assistant is kind of irrelevant and saying he can’t get top recruits is likely incorrect.
    Scheyer was lead recruiter for Zion, does that mean he signed the checks?

Kidding, I think he will do well. All of K’s other disciples have had so so coaching careers. Quinn Snyder would have been good but I doubt he wanted to leave the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post

Kidding, I think he will do well. All of K’s other disciples have had so so coaching careers. Quinn Snyder would have been good but I doubt he wanted to leave the NBA.
    I would say yes, and I am not kidding.

Most often it is a no win situation to succeed a legend ......

Any speculation on signees jumping ship. At a minimum, I would think next year recruiting just got a bit more difficult.

That is the most ridiculous thing ever...there is no way the used a check and left a paper trail. Cash only. That being said the K tree is not littered with success when they ventured out on their own. Not like Roy getting it done at Kansas and coming back to UNC. I would bet this was a done deal before to keep Scheyer in house and the recruiting pipeline flowing. Always tough to follow the man but this will have extra weight. I think the only tougher job to be the new guy would be Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    That is the most ridiculous thing ever...there is no way the used a check and left a paper trail. Cash only. That being said the K tree is not littered with success when they ventured out on their own. Not like Roy getting it done at Kansas and coming back to UNC. I would bet this was a done deal before to keep Scheyer in house and the recruiting pipeline flowing. Always tough to follow the man but this will have extra weight. I think the only tougher job to be the new guy would be Alabama.
    There has to be a paper trail somewhere. If there wasn't then how did the press get hold of Williamson being paid ? It was all over the internet last week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I would say yes, and I am not kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    There has to be a paper trail somewhere. If there wasn't then how did the press get hold of Williamson being paid ? It was all over the internet last week.
    How do you differentiate this narrative from those accusing Gonzaga of paying recruits? We laugh at CougarBoard for suggesting it, then we accuse Duke of doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

It'll surely be interesting to see how Duke games are officiated next season, especially during March. Koach has ALWAYS gotten more than his fair share of whistles going his way.

The Zion matter is the subject of several State and Federal active civil cases.....not some social media meme ....

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Whoa shooter, I said no such thing.

I was simply pointing out that during his time at Duke, they haven't been to a Final Four. They haven't been as a program since 2015.

This fact isn't Scheyer's fault by any means, just interesting he hasn't experienced a F4 as a Coach yet, and he's in his 5th yr at Duke.

Shocking to me Duke hasn't been to Final 4 in the last 6 seasons is all

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Anybody got tickets yet? Ought to be a barn burner ...

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/5/men...las-vegas.aspx
    Got my tickets a couple of months ago! Can't wait!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Coach K has 1 conference championship in the last 15 years, I think he knew he was going to get fired anyway. (sarcasm)

I hope you are right.