Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gushing over next season....

Default Gushing over next season....

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/05/...NH1OD_w8Qpk54I

I could have put this in the other thread on will we be better........bt this has a bigger look at the team not just the old or returning players. Mods move this if you think it should be elsewhere..

Hickman not even mentioned

Great article. It is going to be a new experience for us fans to judge the great talent on this team. It is also going to be a challenge for Mark Few. I think there will be many discussions here on who should play, start , finish and how many minutes each should receive. And each scenario would work. Behind the scene practice will tell the difference which we are not privy to.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

can't believe he overlooked Hickman who may see at least as many minutes (I assume) as Hunter, and Kaden Perry.
    Few for the fist time in his career will have the problem that KY, Duke, Kansas and N. Carolina sometimes have, and that is a truckload of 5 stars, most of them Frosh. We all know that 5 stars are no guarantee even with top coaching. I believe Few will handle it better than most, but the proof will have to be in the pudding. A few seasons ago UW had two top ten recruits and played in the cellar all season long Stewart and Macdaniels. It has happened surprisingly often to KY that they did not make the elite 8 or Final 4, it couild go on and on. If Calipari, Williams, Self and Mike K have at times had trouble putting together a killer team with 5 stars, and they are experienced at it, that is evidence in my mind, that it will present new problems for Few that will put him on a learning curve.
    Suggs and Zach Collins were not easy to put in the category of having egos so big it was hard to coach them around. it will be fun to see how the blend goes for the egos of Chet, Hunter, and Hickman, and another boatload of 4 stars. We had Cory and Joel to teach team play to the egos of Suggs and Timme, Strawther, Gregg, Harris, etc. and it worked. This year that student leadership role will fall on Timme, Anton and Andrew.
    Anyone hear about Kraziness yet?
    I don't want to wait until November - darn. Do I have to? Dec 22,23 used to drive me crazy as a kid, dying of anticipation it actually hurt. Now I have to do that 6 months. makes me want to be rip van winkle.
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 06-01-2021 at 08:05 AM.

I don't want to wait until November - darn. Do I have to?
    Thankfully, I have two grandkids to keep me happily occupied for the next six months...and I found out #3 is on the way!

Congrats on no. 3 Tex!! But yessssss we have quite the team coming up!

The author is very high on Sallis. I never watched him play in school but I know a lot of people are high on him. Is he going to be a double digit scorer right out of the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The author is very high on Sallis. I never watched him play in school but I know a lot of people are high on him. Is he going to be a double digit scorer right out of the gate?
    After watching highlights (with all of the caveats that apply):
    - I really like the aesthetics of his shot
    - He uses his outside shot to set up mid-range stuff
    - He looks long and athletic
    - His handle looks good enough for a combo guard and was pretty smooth setting up his defender off of the dribble.

I just finished watching some really beautiful videos of the newcomers to the Backcourt next year: Sallis, Hickman, and Bolton. Before watching videos of these guys I was wondering what the backcourt would be like next year. I was very impressed to say the least. The Zags will surely be missing awesome players from last year's backcourt, but from what I saw in the videos these new guys will not miss a beat. Put these three guards with Harris and Nembhard and we will have one talented stable of guards for next year. It will easily be the best backcourt stable of guards ever to play at Gonzaga. Competition for playing time in games will certainly be fierce. Like most of us, I'm anxious to see how Few deals with all the talent he has in next years team. I think we can pretty much agree that one thing is certain, players will need to lose their egos if they want to play for Few.

Two things that I loved about the guards who played last year were their passing skills and their ability to drive to basket and score in traffic on the inside. I see these same skills in Sallis, Hickman and Bolton. All three of these guys are extremely talented offensively, so I feel it will all boil down to who plays the best defense. Unfortunately, most videos don't show much defense, but I could see that Sallis is a very good shot blocker for a guard, but he is 6'5" and can leap out of the gym. Oh I forgot to mention. Have any of you seen Sallis' dunks. OMG!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    can't believe he overlooked Hickman who may see at least as many minutes (I assume) as Hunter, and Kaden Perry.
    Few for the fist time in his career will have the problem that KY, Duke, Kansas and N. Carolina sometimes have, and that is a truckload of 5 stars, most of them Frosh. We all know that 5 stars are no guarantee even with top coaching. I believe Few will handle it better than most, but the proof will have to be in the pudding. A few seasons ago UW had two top ten recruits and played in the cellar all season long Stewart and Macdaniels. It has happened surprisingly often to KY that they did not make the elite 8 or Final 4, it couild go on and on. If Calipari, Williams, Self and Mike K have at times had trouble putting together a killer team with 5 stars, and they are experienced at it, that is evidence in my mind, that it will present new problems for Few that will put him on a learning curve.
    Suggs and Zach Collins were not easy to put in the category of having egos so big it was hard to coach them around. it will be fun to see how the blend goes for the egos of Chet, Hunter, and Hickman, and another boatload of 4 stars. We had Cory and Joel to teach team play to the egos of Suggs and Timme, Strawther, Gregg, Harris, etc. and it worked. This year that student leadership role will fall on Timme, Anton and Andrew.
    Anyone hear about Kraziness yet?
    I don't want to wait until November - darn. Do I have to? Dec 22,23 used to drive me crazy as a kid, dying of anticipation it actually hurt. Now I have to do that 6 months. makes me want to be rip van winkle.
    This is hard to read like this...

The off season seems so loooooooooooooong
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Reborn brings up a key point. Defense! I don't know about ay on the new guys' defense. SOOOOOO important. Chet's good at blocks.. but the overall schema begins out front with the guards. Love to see a lockdown group. And that's one of the places Cook and Suggs were so good.
    It'll be such an interesting season!! Not sure about running the table again.........but how often does a team go undefeated back to back? Not since USF in the 50's. SO the odds are slim but we could do it with this team.

UCLA did it in 73, 74 seasons

Correction to previous post, it was 72, and 73 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    This is hard to read like this...
    Vulture, looking it over I agree, some rambling and some changing topics same sentence, etc.
    thanks for constructive comment ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Vulture, looking it over I agree, some rambling and some changing topics same sentence, etc.
    thanks for constructive comment ...
    Hell I can read and enjoy e.e. Cummings......

But it is difficult for my old eyes to read on a screen without some spacing.......

I have no problem with the style or substance of your posts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    The off season seems so loooooooooooooong
    Yes, it is.

Especially after NbA finals and US Open Golf

But once college football starts, it's a fast slide to October and juiced up again.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Reborn brings up a key point. Defense! I don't know about ay on the new guys' defense. SOOOOOO important. Chet's good at blocks.. but the overall schema begins out front with the guards. Love to see a lockdown group. And that's one of the places Cook and Suggs were so good.
    It'll be such an interesting season!! Not sure about running the table again.........but how often does a team go undefeated back to back? Not since USF in the 50's. SO the odds are slim but we could do it with this team.
    Gary Bell was our best off the ball defender, ever. Suggs was our best on the ball.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Gary Bell was our best off the ball defender, ever. Suggs was our best on the ball.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Suggs was our best on the ball.

Q.
    But we don't play nobody.

Bell, by his junior year was the best technical defender Gonzaga has ever had. He was more polished than Suggs and had better on ball footwork. The advantage Suggs had was size and athleticism that made up for incorrect technique but still cost him silly fouls. Suggs defensive back instincts combined with his athleticism made him a better off ball defender that led to steals and disrupting opposing offenses. Once he learns to slide his feet better and eliminate crossing his feet while guarding the ball he will become an elite defender.

Both Bell and Suggs were very good defenders, but Suggs has things to learn that Bell worked on and perfected. If Bell had a couple more inches in height and wingspan he would still be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Bell, by his junior year was the best technical defender Gonzaga has ever had. He was more polished than Suggs and had better on ball footwork. The advantage Suggs had was size and athleticism that made up for incorrect technique but still cost him silly fouls. Suggs defensive back instincts combined with his athleticism made him a better off ball defender that led to steals and disrupting opposing offenses. Once he learns to slide his feet better and eliminate crossing his feet while guarding the ball he will become an elite defender.

Both Bell and Suggs were very good defenders, but Suggs has things to learn that Bell worked on and perfected. If Bell had a couple more inches in height and wingspan he would still be playing.
    Markburn for 3, all net, tho GBj off the ball was phenomenal, best screen fighter at GU I have seen, and Silas is in the discussion too for me

EDIT: thinking more on this because it's fun, the asks on D were different for Jalen than with the D GBj and Silas played and schemes they played in; they were given the job to stick through all the off ball/on ball action, etc. and force the bounce with little help, while last year's Zags looked to switch often except certain instances and Jalen could hunt the passing lanes off the ball so well
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 06-02-2021 at 10:31 AM.

In my previous post on this thread I only wrote about the guards on next years team. So I'd like to now focus on the BIGS. We know we have Timme, who could be the player of the year in NCAA basketball next year. And next to him we have the #1 rated high school player last year in Holmgren. I'd say that's a pretty good 1, 2 punch in our post players. Coming in off the bench will be Watson and Greg, and maybe Perry. Like the stable of guards that I described in the earlier post, the stable of BIGS for 2022 could be the best ever to play at GU. We've had some incredible bigs play at Gonzaga for sure: too many to name them all. But were any of them the best player in college basketball that year? No. Could Holmgren be better than Rui? Maybe! Let's wait and see. There will never be a low post bench player like Zach Collins. He could have started for most teams in the country. BUT! We do have Watson, Greg and Perry. If Watson can ever get it all together, and this could be the year that he does, look out NCAA, because he is already really good, but just seems to lack intensity and focus at times, and sometimes for a whole game. I have a feeling that he's going to be ONE MAJOR SURPRISE this year.

So put these ten players together and we could certainly have the best Gonzaga team ever.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    In my previous post on this thread I only wrote about the guards on next years team. So I'd like to now focus on the BIGS. We know we have Timme, who could be the player of the year in NCAA basketball next year. And next to him we have the #1 rated high school player last year in Holmgren. I'd say that's a pretty good 1, 2 punch in our post players. Coming in off the bench will be Watson and Greg, and maybe Perry. Like the stable of guards that I described in the earlier post, the stable of BIGS for 2022 could be the best ever to play at GU. We've had some incredible bigs play at Gonzaga for sure: too many to name them all. But were any of them the best player in college basketball that year? No. Could Holmgren be better than Rui? Maybe! Let's wait and see. There will never be a low post bench player like Zach Collins. He could have started for most teams in the country. BUT! We do have Watson, Greg and Perry. If Watson can ever get it all together, and this could be the year that he does, look out NCAA, because he is already really good, but just seems to lack intensity and focus at times, and sometimes for a whole game. I have a feeling that he's going to be ONE MAJOR SURPRISE this year.

So put these ten players together and we could certainly have the best Gonzaga team ever.

Go Zags!
    looks like a great group, hoping on Kaden's recovery, and hope you are right about AW; I believe he can too and we'll see. For Drew, he's awesome obviously, and he learned to play and stay on the floor better last season imo tho still picked up some cheapies but less of them as the year went on. Adding a consistent jumper for Drew is a clear next evolution to his game, but I think he can learn to be more effective defensively, too, and look to Few to continue to tinker and scheme to improve the screen roll D, which as a team could go a long way towards everything seems to me with Chet's abilities big here. we know opponents are going to go right to it and copy gameplans, would like to see us punk them for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    looks like a great group, hoping on Kaden's recovery, and hope you are right about AW; I believe he can too and we'll see. For Drew, he's awesome obviously, and he learned to play and stay on the floor better last season imo tho still picked up some cheapies but less of them as the year went on. Adding a consistent jumper for Drew is a clear next evolution to his game, but I think he can learn to be more effective defensively, too, and look to Few to continue to tinker and scheme to improve the screen roll D, which as a team could go a long way towards everything seems to me with Chet's abilities big here. we know opponents are going to go right to it and copy gameplans, would like to see us punk them for it!
    Regarding the pick and roll, I’d like to see the guards anticipate and fight over the screen when Timme’s man is the screen setter. Eliminate the hard hedge and rely on Chet to protect the rim if the guard gets hung up on top.