Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sloot is the New Chicago Sky All-Time Scoring Leader

Game is underway. Connecticut looks a bit rusty and Chicago is not at all intimidated.

Well so much for a good start. Sky were up 11 or 12. Evans, Dolson and DeShields pretty much instantly gave the lead away. Down to 3 at the end of Q1. Dolson with maybe the dumbest foul of a 3 point shooter I've ever seen. Desperation heave as the shot clock was expiring, missed everything by about 4 feet.

There's just something about the Sun, I really don't like them. Not impressing me at all today. Bonner and A. Thomas are both huge whiners. Refs trying to help them out as much as they can. 10-2 free throw advantage so far. Dolson already has 3 fouls, almost as much as the entire team for Connecticut.

Sky put on a big push in the last 3 minutes to lead at half 47-46.

Sky had an 11 point lead in the 1st quarter with 3 minutes to go and Sloot went to the bench. Connecticut goes on a 8-0 run to finish the quarter to cut the Sky lead to 24-21.

Connecticut normally only gives up 69 ppg and the Sky have 47 at halftime.

Sky hanging with the Sun on the boards (18-19) but Connecticut is killing Chicago on the O-boards 10-3. In addition Sky leading in turnovers 7-2. Between the O-boards and turnovers, the Sky giving the Sun way too many 2nd chances. Chicago staying in the game with shooting 52.9% (overall) and 50% from 3.

Can the Sky keep up with the shooting and reduce the 2nd chance points for the Sun?

2nd half coming up.

ZagDad

Sloot has been outstanding. Thru Q3 10 pts/12 assists/6 reb/3 steals/1 block. More importantly Sky up 3.

Jonquel Jones is playing like the MVP she was just named today.

After 3, Sky up 66-63.

Sloot already has a double-double with 10 points and 12 assists.

4th quarter starting with Sloot on the bench and her replacement Evans immediately turns it over.

Rest for Sloot needs to be short if the Sky want to win.

ZagDad

Yeah, Evans just doesn't have what it takes.

Dolson has been AWFUL this game. 7 points, but one dumb turnover after another.

Have I ever mentioned I hate refs. Total fouls is close, 18-14. But FTA is 26-12. So...Connecticut only fouls when Chicago isn't shooting? So sketchy.

Sky choking this away. Can't remember the last time they scored, terrible execution down the stretch. Trailing by 2 now, 24 sec left.

OT. Bonner w/ a terrible attempt at hero ball to end regulation.

I've been seeing a lot of hero ball not working at the end of games during these playoffs.

Nearing the end of the 2nd OT. Sloot now has a new playoff record 18 assists. 1 rebound shy of a triple double. Sky up 5. Both teams look exhausted.

101-95 final, Sky win!

Sloot 12 pts/18 assists/10 rebounds/4 steals/2 blocks.

I think Parker played too many minutes for her, she'll probably have nothing left for Game 2.

Tonight's double overtime playoff game was the first double overtime playoff game in 6 years.

The Sky made it harder than they had to tonight by committing 19 turnovers and getting out bordered on the O-boards 17-4 (Ouch, that just hurts). Way too many lost possessions and too many 2nd chance point opportunities given to the Sun.

Couple of records for Sloot tonight.

CV's triple double was only the second one in the history of the WNBA playoffs. The first was by Sheryl Swoops 16 years ago. Pretty good company.

Her 18 assists broke the WNBA record for assists in a playoff game. The previous record was 16 assists by Sue Bird.

Parker played 39 minutes, but Copper played 41, Quigley played 42 and Sloot played 44. The only starter that did not play excessive minutes was Stevens who played 19 minutes but who was covered by Dolson (20 minutes) and Ndour-Fall (21 min.).

As bad as the Sky have it with the starters playing big minutes, the Sun are even worse with their starting five; Bonner (48 Min), J. Jones (45 min), B. Jones (37 Min), January (40 Min.) and Thomas (45 Min.).

Big question going into Thursday's game 2, is who can recover the best from tonight's grind fest. Sky have played 3 games in 6 days and tonight's game was the Sun's first game in 9 days.

Good job by the Sky. Had some momentary lapses, but did not collapse and brought it back strong.

Let's get game two on Thursday.

ZagDad

That was a huge win. If they'd wasted all those big minutes and ended up losing, not sure they could've recovered.

Yeah, big question is who is more tired in Game 2? Strangely despite the extra rest they've had, Sun looked more tired at the end of this one.

In the other game, Aces did what Sun couldn't--defend their home court. Another close game. Settled it in regulation, but scored almost as many points as the other game. In a contest w/ Griner, Taurasi, Diggins-Smith, Wilson and Cambage...it was Riquna Williams and Kelsey Plum who really shined. Scored 26 and 25 respectively. I'm so proud of Plum, she's truly become one of the best players in the league this year. She's getting close to being an unstoppable scorer down the stretch of the season, kinda like she was in college.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    it was Riquna Williams and Kelsey Plum who really shined. Scored 26 and 25 respectively. I'm so proud of Plum, she's truly become one of the best players in the league this year. She's getting close to being an unstoppable scorer down the stretch of the season, kinda like she was in college.
    Sure enough, at times both Williams and Plum looked unstoppable. The bigs for Phoenix have to remember that Plum is left handed. She took it right at Griner several times and even at 6'9" could reach across Plum's body and get to the ball when she drove to the hoop on the left side.

ZagDad

ESPNs Take on Sloot's historic night.

Courtney Vandersloot posts second triple-double in WNBA playoff history to lead Chicago Sky
    Mechelle Voepel
    ESPN.com

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Chicago's Courtney Vandersloot played her first season in the WNBA at age 22 in 2011, the same year that Sheryl Swoopes finished her Hall of Fame career at age 40. Tuesday night, the two crossed paths again, this time in the record books.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...ad-chicago-sky

ZagDad

And again, I feel blessed to have been able to watch Courtney play as a Zag. Congrats on the triple double!

Great game one(s) to start the WNBA semi-finals. Game two(s) are on tonight.

Chicago vs Connecticut 5:00 PM PST on ESPN2
    Phoenix vs Las Vegas 7:00 PM PST on ESPN2

For those that would like to read a pregame summary here is one from ESPNW: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...ifinals-series

From SeaCat:

I'm so proud of Plum, she's truly become one of the best players in the league this year. She's getting close to being an unstoppable scorer down the stretch of the season, kinda like she was in college.
    Kelsey was rewarded today with the WNBA's 6th Player of the year award. She could have just as easily (and perhaps deserved) comeback player of the year award as well.

Link: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...yer-year-award

Great job by another NW product.

ZagDad

Thanks ZagDad. I'm puzzled why there was such a gap between announcing 6th Player and all the other awards. Did they need to let the Sun bask in their glory of winning most of the awards for several more days? Seems like that lost a lot of its luster after losing Game 1 of the semis.

Sky got off to a great start, completely wasted it. Were up 11-0, now trailing by 6 at the half. Evans was horrible again, they gotta quit playing her. Try Lexie Brown in relief of Sloot.

Refs are awful tonight, so are the announcers, just blatant homers.

After completely sucking in Game 1, Connecticut guards are lighting it up in Game 2. MVP Jonquel Jones is totally M.I.A. so far.

Sun are probably the most physical team in the league. In about 25 minutes, they've been whistled for 6 fouls. Sky have 12. These refs are garbage.

MVP stunk up the floor, but no matter because Alysa Thomas is starting to look like herself, took over the 2nd half. Sun killing the Sky w/ O boards. Chicago ICE cold in the 4th quarter. Didn't score for more than 4 minutes. Started w/ Sloot and Stevens in the bench, dumb. Down 10, running out of time, I think this one is over.

Sky get outscored 21-9 in Q4, lose by 11. They HAVE to figure out a different option at backup PG. Evans played 8 minutes and pretty much lost them the game. Offense grinds to a halt every time she's on the floor. DeShields had a stinker, 2-8 including several from point blank. Team was 7-26 behind the arc. Got outrebounded 39-26, including giving up 12 O boards that I'm certain led to a bunch of 2nd chance points. Team had less assists total than Sloot did by herself in Game 1.

Aces-Mercury Game 2 is bizarre. It's 68-52...at halftime! Aces shooting 56% from the floor and getting killed. Merc shooting 76% overall and 7-10 behind the arc. There isn't any possible way they can keep it up is there? Score would be a lot worse but Las Vegas got a handful of turnovers and run outs for easy buckets.

Some more strange stats, Aces only have 1 TO. They also only have 6 rebounds. In a half. But Phoenix hasn't missed any shots so no D boards to be had.

Taurasi is out of her mind. 8-11 behind the arc, career playoff high 37 points. Phoenix has 109 w/ 6:25 left in the game. Surely they are going to set a record for points in a playoff game.