Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloot is the New Chicago Sky All-Time Scoring Leader

Thanks Spike,

ZagDad

Sky continue their hot streak. So lopsided against the Liberty, several of the starters got to rest the entire 4th quarter. Sloot had a double double before the end of Q3. She's only played 23 minutes. Big game for Parker as well, also a double double in limited minutes.

Sky won their 7th in a row today 91-68 over the NY Liberty. None of the starters for the Sky played much over 27 minutes and most played less than 23 minutes.

Sloot just missed a double-double today with 13 points (55.6% overall, 50% from 3 and 100% from the charity stripe), 9 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals with only 1 turnover on the debit side of the ledger.

Sky now in 4th place behind the Storm (3.5 games), Aces (2.5 games) and Sun (1 game).

Next up is the Connecticut Sun on Sunday.

ZagDad

Voting is out for the WNBA All-Star team.

If you want Sloot to be selected for the team, you can vote for her here: https://www.wnba.com/players/

ZagDad

Sloot named Eastern Conference Player of the Week (last week).

The Sky went 3-0 during the week and CV averaged 13.3 ppg, 11.3 apg and 3.0 spg.

Link: https://www.wnba.com/news/courtney-v...ayers-of-week/

Congratulations Courtney,

ZagDad

Thanks for keeping us up to date, ZagDad!

Well, the Sky laid a major egg today and got hammered 74-58 by the Connecticut Sun.

Sloot was probably the best of a bad bunch of starters for the Sky with 7 points (on 3-8, 1-4 & 0-0), 7 assists, 3 rebounds & 2 steals to go with 3 turnovers. Sky starters went 12-48 (25%) overall and 3-18 (16.7%).

You are not going to win very many games when, as a team, you score 58 points, shoot 33.8% overall, 20.8% from 3, take only 7 free throws and have 18 turnovers. Previous games against the Sun the Sky scored 81 points and 91 points which would have won today's games. With the very mediocre defense played by the Sky, they have to win games by outscoring the opposition. Scoring 58 points simply won't get it done.

Onward to Texas and a game against the Dallas Wings on Wednesday.

ZagDad

WNBA all-star team was announced today.

The All-Stars were voted on by fans (50%), WNBA players (25%) and media (25%). The list of the top 36 vote-getters who were not on Team USA was provided to the WNBA coaches, who then selected the 12 All-Stars. The co-head coaches for Team USA will be former WNBA players Lisa Leslie and Tina Thompson.

The WNBA All-Star game will be a little different this year. Instead of an East squad vs a West squad, the WNBA all-stars will play the all-star against Team USA as a warm-up game to the Olympics. The All-Star game will be played on July 14 in Las Vegas.

Courtney Vandersloot did make the team along with teammates Candice Parker and Kahleah Copper. The Connecticut Sun also had 3 players selected to the WNBA all-star team.

You can see the entire list of WNBA all-stars here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...3-players-each

ZagDad

Congrats to Sloot for the all-star nod.

Another day, another double double for her. 10 pts/12 assists, Sky beat the Wings. Her assist average is up to 8.7/game now. She'll have a hard time getting up to 10/game like last year, but she keeps gaining momentum so could very well end up over 9.

If it seems like it's been a long time since the last Sky game, that's because it has been. Lost to Dallas on 7/2. They are playing the Mystics at 5 pm PST today, it's streaming on Amazon Prime if you have it. Last game for them before the Olympics break.

Sky were down big early, but clawed back in it. Only trailing by 2 at the half. Her shot isn't falling, but Sloot has 8 assists already. Candace Parker and Tina Charles have a good duel going on.

OVERTIME!!!

Mystics made a put back at the buzzer to tie things up at 82-82. Sky still only shooting 25% from 3.

Sloot has another double double heading into OT.

ZagDad

Sky must've had a 9-0 run late in Q4. They were down 7, looked dead in the water, next thing I knew they were up 2 w/ 4 seconds left. Couldn't secure the rebound to preserve the win. They sucked in OT, only scored 3 points. Mystics weren't much better but scored 7.

Sloot finished w/ 13 pts/15 assists. She broke a tie w/ Penicheiro, now has an all time record of 65 games w/ 10 or more assists. Gotta imagine she's gonna add a whole lot more to that total.

Tune in to ESPN tomorrow night to watch Courtney Vandersloot in the WNBA All-Star Game at 7:00pm ET!

That's 4:00 PM Spokane time.

ZagDad

At halftime of the All Star game, Sloot's wife Quigley won her third 3 point shooting contest.

OT, but did the Selection Committee pick the wrong team? WNBA All Stars have the US National Team on the ropes here.

edit--Taurasi sat out the game for US and Cambage for WNBA. If players aren't gonna play, they shouldn't be at the All Star game. Give the spot to someone else who will play.

Bird and Taurasi are old and slow, Chelsea Gray isn't exactly lightning fast. Diggins-Smith and Loyd can move at least. Ogunbowale and Courtney Williams were running circles around the US team's guards down the stretch.

I can't seem to find stats. Not sure how Sloot did. She wasn't playing down the stretch.

Found it. Sloot 0 points 0-3 shooting 7 assists in 17 minutes. Team WNBA won by 8.

Sloot also had 2 steals and a rebound in her limited minutes.

Sloot's teammates did not play much either. Parker played 18 minutes and Copper only played 14 minutes. Ogunbowale (26 mpg), Bonner (26 mpg) and J. Jones (30 mpg) had the majority of the minutes. All-Star games are not generally Sloot's forte' with limited practice, the coordination with her teammates is very limited. All-Star games are about the scoring, and Williams and Copper (both off the bench) shot lights out at 7-8 and 4-6. off the bench) and J. Jones went 7-14. Arike Ogunbowale did what she does best, take a lot of shots, defended or not, the shots were going up. Tonight they (mostly) went in 10-18 and she took the MVP. Personally, what little I saw of the game, I thought Courtney Williams played a better game.

Now a break for the Olympics. I think the Sky's next game is August 12 against the Storm (Bird vs Sloot).

ZagDad

Wow, U.S. just lost to Australia, and this after Liz Cambage stepped down and wasn't w/ the Aussies. Is there some trouble brewing here?

From ESPN:

Yet Friday, the U.S. women shot 37.3% from the field and 11.1% (2 of 18) from 3-point range, with both treys coming from Stewart and none from a guard. Team USA had 18 turnovers, including an uncharacteristic six from Bird to offset her six assists.

The Americans also didn't get much in transition, scoring just three fast-break points.
    Link: https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...tokyo-olympics

I think that about sums up today's game.

With this team and their prep, the gold medal is far from assured.

On another note, Diana Taurasi, who has played a total of 7 games this WNBA season has yet to play a minute for team USA. Maybe, somebody who can actually help team USA should have been selected.

I keep hearing the announcers say they like the combination of newbies (6 out of 12) and the previous Olympic experience (6 out of 12). How many Olympic medals does it take before some is considered experienced. Isn't one or two previous Olympic medals and some world cup championships sufficient experience? Have not been awed by Bird and we have not see Taursi yet in Team USA's games.

Stepping off my soapbox.

ZagDad

After skipping all the tune up games, Taurasi decided she's finally ready to play in the team's Olympics debut. Absolutely horrid start for the US., trailed 8-1 after about 3 1/2 minutes before Taurasi hit a 3 to cut into the lead. I'm having a really hard time being excited about this team.

3X3 on the other hand I'm rooting for 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    After skipping all the tune up games, Taurasi decided she's finally ready to play in the team's Olympics debut. Absolutely horrid start for the US., trailed 8-1 after about 3 1/2 minutes before Taurasi hit a 3 to cut into the lead. I'm having a really hard time being excited about this team.

3X3 on the other hand I'm rooting for 100%.
    I love the 3x3 format.

ZagDad

I was only halfway watching the game. U.S. continued to struggle throughout Q1, then started getting it going. Built the lead up to 20 in the 2nd half, but then let the margin get cut in half.

Rough shooting night for the 3 Storm players in the game--Stewie 3-13, Bird 0-6, Loyd 3-9. Bird did have 13 assists but she was scoreless. The other guards didn't pick up the slack, but the aging starting duo was bad defensively, as everyone already knows. Taurasi provided some early offense but then trailed off.

Gold for Kelsey Plum and the rest of the US Women's 3X3 team!

US vs France replay is on right now. I know the US wins, but they just really are not impressive. I don't think Staley is winning any fans with her coaching during these games.

Marine Johannes looks good for France. She played briefly for the Liberty at some point. Some really slick passes.

US will still probably win gold. I don't know that anybody can really handle Stewie and A'ja. The front court isn't the problem, but the back court has been consistently unproductive.