Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sloot is the New Chicago Sky All-Time Scoring Leader

Chicago had 4 FTs...in an overtime game. Phoenix had 11, still a fairly low number, but the Sky's lack of FTs is mind numbing.

Couldn't find a clip for just the one specific play, but here's a highlight package of her highness, Taurasi. Check out starting about 1:07 thru about 1:17. Multiple angles of one of the WORST calls I've seen in my life. I knew it was bad in real time, but the replay is really damning. Griner took a couple steps while setting a pick, in contact w/ the defender the whole time, then gave her a hip check that sent her crashing into the shooter. This was all directly in front of the ref, so there's no way he didn't see the whole thing. The illegal pick began well before Taurasi released the shot, so not only should it not have been a 4 point play, the bucket should've been waived off. This is just pathetic reffing. Nobody can actually be that bad, so this tells you it was very deliberate.

Yeah Seacat, I saw that when it happened. Griner's hip check was an obvious illegal screen and the ref had no excuse not to call it. Taurasi and Diggins-Smith are two of the WNBA's biggest floppers and the refs, more often than not, reward them for their acting ability. There were lots of fouls that were not called, on both sides. I would probably be more upset, but Chicago had many issues that cost them the game, the lack of called fouls was just one of them.

While Copper had a good game yesterday, it was below average (for the playoffs) for her yesterday. Sloot had 6 turnovers yesterday, some were forced others were not, but you simply cannot be that loose with the ball and give Phoenix that many more chances. With Griner and Turner in the key, the Sky have to be able to get the Mercury out of the key. When Quigley goes 4-12 from 3, Sloot goes 2-6, Parker goes 1-4 and Dolson goes 1-4 from long range Phoenix has little incentive to go out and guard the Sky if they can't hit the shots from outside.

My biggest complaint with the Sky last night was their defense where the Sky got "out-sky'd". All night long, when Phoenix ran the pick and roll, more than half the time, when the Phoenix big set the pick and then rolled, both Sky players stayed with the guard and nobody went with the Phoenix big. This left one Sky guarding two Phoenix bigs which simply does not work. There is a reason Griner and Turner went 16-27. Sofie Cunningham was just coming back off of an ankle injury and the Sky did not seem to want to guard her on the outside, and she took advantage going 3-4 from 3.

The good news is that with the Sky, not playing their best by any stretch of the imagination, won the rebounding battle, kept the turnover close and did not wilt when they got down 5-6 points. The bad news is that they had this game and let it slip through their fingers. If the Sky were up 2-0, I think the series is over. With the series at 1-1, it is anybody's series from here.

ZagDad

Here is one for you SeaCat.

Watch Taurasi shove the official and get away with a $2,500 fine. A comparison to Ndoa-Farr in Chicago's last game of the season is shown.

WNBA rules state that “intentional physical contact with an official” results in an automatic one-game suspension without pay. Though that’s the exact wording the league used in its statement announcing Taurasi’s fine, she was not suspended.

Many on social media were quick to compare Taurasi’s shove with one that occurred at the end of the 2019 season with Sky forward Astou Ndour.

Ndour was ejected from Chicago's season finale against the Washington Mystics after she made contact with an official, though that was later rescinded by the league. Ndour was trying to get the official’s attention, and she appeared to make incidental contact with him which caused him to fly back and eject her on the spot.
    Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...als/ar-AAPxMa7

Premier players get premier treatment no matter what league they are in.

ZagDad

Game #3 of the WNBA Championship is Friday night at 6:00 PM PST and will be televised on ESPN2.

ZagDad

Yeah, her highness must be protected. They wouldn't dare suspend her for a playoff game.

From ESPN:

Jonquel Jones of Connecticut Sun is only unanimous selection in balloting for All-WNBA first team
    Kelly Cohen
    ESPN

Connecticut Sun forward and league MVP Jonquel Jones was the only unanimous selection for the All-WNBA First Team on Friday.

Jones was joined on the first team by Phoenix Mercury teammates Skylar Diggins-Smith and Brittney Griner and Seattle Storm teammates Breanna Stewart and Jewell Loyd.

Second-team selections were Las Vegas Aces forward A'ja Wilson, Minnesota Lynx center Sylvia Fowles, Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale, Washington Mystics forward Tina Charles and Chicago Sky guard Courtney Vandersloot.

This is Vandersloot's fourth consecutive season as an All-WNBA honoree, and fifth overall. Charles, who led the WNBA with an average of 24.3 points this season, was selected for her ninth All-WNBA team. Fowles' seventh selection comes two weeks after being named the WNBA Defensive Player of the Year for the fourth time.
    You can read the entire article here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...nba-first-team

Congratulations Sloot!

ZagDad

Phoenix can't shoot and Chicago can't stop turning the ball over.

I guess I didn't really see the Taurasi push against the referee before. They showed a replay before this game. Wow, that is so embarrassing for the league. There is no possible way they can justify that Taurasi isn't suspended for this game. Absolute joke.

Chicago had 4 FTA in an OT game in Game 2. They had 5 FTA in the first quarter of Game 3. I think I like that trend.

46-24 at halftime. Good start. Copper has nearly equaled the Merc by herself (20 pts). Phoenix has 10 TOs and is shooting 24%, not a good combo. Missing wide open 3's, missing layups. Taurasi and Griner are each 1-8. There's no way Merc can continue to play this badly, but the Sky have a big cushion.

Both teams deep into the bench entire 4th quarter. About 5 minutes left, 69-41. What is the least points scored in a Finals game? Mercury have to be on pace to break that record.

Sloot w/ 10 assists in only 25 minutes. Not a scoring night for her, but didn't need to be. 2-3 FG.

Chicago's 3rd unit caught fire down the stretch. Hebard w/ a couple long jumpers. Brown w/ a 3. Then Evans hit 3 straight 3's to finish it off. 86-50 final. Largest margin of victory in Finals history!

Chicago decided to play good defense tonight. The Sky shot pretty well for both the starters and the subs. Phoenix looked tired and a step slow. The flop sisters could not get the refs to buy into their antics tonight.

Job well done tonight Chicago. Let's finish this up on Sunday.

One more record was broken tonight.

Going into tonight's game Sloot was tied with Sue Bird with the most playoff games with double-digit assists with 9. With her 10 assists tonight CV now has the most double-digit assist play-off games in the history of the WNBA at 10. Let's get one more on Sunday and bring the trophy home.

Courtney Vandersloot had another 10 assists this Finals. It's her 10th career postseason game with double-digit assists, breaking the tie she held with Sue Bird for the record.
    Well done Courtney,

ZagDad

I think Sloot also broke the record for most double digit assist games in the Finals. And she set both of those records in A LOT less playoff games than Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I think Sloot also broke the record for most double digit assist games in the Finals. And she set both of those records in A LOT less playoff games than Bird.
    That is amazing as Bird has been in 4 Championship Finals and this is only Chicago's (and Sloot's) 2nd Championship Final. So Bird has had at least twice as many Championship Final games as has Sloot.

ZagDad

This is from yesterday morning, but Taurasi claimed she didn't even know the person she was shoving was a ref. So she's blind apparently.

I don’t follow WNBA much at all but I think Courtney Vandersloot is vastly overlooked and under hyped by the media. She is a total stud and I plan on making it a priority to watch this legend to be of a PG direct things tor the Chicago Sky tomorrow and hopefully win the title.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I don’t follow WNBA much at all but I think Courtney Vandersloot is vastly overlooked and under hyped by the media. She is a total stud and I plan on making it a priority to watch this legend to be of a PG direct things tor the Chicago Sky tomorrow and hopefully win the title.
    Points sell. If you are not among the leaders in points, you simply do not exist to the majority of the fans and even to many of the players. Sloot is lucky to have been named to the All-Star team and almost always it is due to a coach's selection, not a players or fan selection.

The WNBA has had a marketing problem for many years and it has not gotten much better in recent years. Way too much time is spent idolizing the old guard (Bird, Taurasi, Parker, etc.) and not near enough time is spent on promoting the young and upcoming stars like Aja Wilson, Jonquel Jones, Arike Ogunbowale, Kelsey Plum, Brianna Turner, and many others.

When a person is approaching or breaking an all-time WNBA record, you would think it would be a major topic of discussion but not on Saturday. When ESPN conducted the post game interview did they interview the person who broke an all-time WNBA record (Sloot), nope. Did they interview the leading scorer for the dominating Sky (Copper), again nope. Did they interview the leading rebounder for the Sky (Stevens)..... who??? Did they interview the leading assist player for the Sky (Sloot).....why?

So who did they interview you ask? They interviewed the Sky starter who was the second leading scorer, (tied for the worst shooting percentage of the Sky starters), the 4th (tied) leading rebounder, the player with the 3rd largest number of assists, the player tied with the 4th most steals but the Sky starter who had the most turnovers, Candice Parker.

And the WNBA wonders why they have a marketing problem, I got some ideas.

The only good news for the WNBA is that Game 2 in Phoenix had an average of 789,000 viewers and a peak viewership of over 1,000,000 which represents the highest viewed game #2 since 2003 and the highest viewed finals game since game #5 in 2017.

ZagDad

Great summary ZD. Thanks for sharing.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Well what do you know. Sometimes when you ask, you actually do receive. Here is a great article on Sloot by ESPN:

2021 WNBA Finals: Courtney Vandersloot orchestrates Chicago Sky to brink of first WNBA title
    Mechelle Voepel
    ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- Courtney Vandersloot remembers wondering during her second WNBA season if there would be a third. Then 23 and coming off a solid-enough rookie year after being drafted No. 3 overall in 2011, her numbers improved in 2012 -- but her confidence didn't.

"I really struggled that year mentally with even believing I was good enough to be in this league and if I was going to last," Vandersloot said. "I thought maybe the first year was beginner's luck. Like, 'You don't have the excuse of being a rookie anymore, and they're going to expose you.'"

It didn't happen. Instead, she has become one of the WNBA's premier point guards and has led the league in assists for five consecutive seasons. And Vandersloot has directed the Chicago Sky within one victory of winning the franchise's first WNBA title entering Sunday's Game 4 (3 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN App) of the 2021 WNBA Finals.

The Phoenix Mercury's Diana Taurasi was asked where Vandersloot ranks in her ability to run a team.

"She's as good as anyone, right?" Taurasi said.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...rst-wnba-title

ZagDad

Game Day for the Chicago Sky and Courtney Vandersloot.

Is it championship day for Sloot and the Sky?

Tune in at 12:00 Noon today on ESPN to watch perhaps the greatest ever Lady Zag.

ZagDad

Close back and forth game. Phoenix up 4 just before halftime. Chicago is 2-13 from 3. Can't count how many wide open 3's they've missed. Absolutely have to start knocking those down. Sloot on triple double watch.

Taurasi has been out of control most of the game. I keep losing respect for her by the moment.

Damn, 9-0 run by Phoenix to end the half, up by 7. That's their second 9-0 run of the game.

Not looking good. I can't watch anymore of this. Griner is scoring at will, Chicago keeps chucking 3's and missing them. Parker picked the wrong day to have another off shooting game. They really needed to close the series out today, looks like it's going back to Phoenix for Game 5.

Deficit had ballooned to 14. Sky cut it to 5, only to give up 4 points in the last 20+ seconds of Q3. Down 9 entering the final frame. I did turn the TV off, just scoreboard watching.

Quigley trying to keep the Sky in it. 24 on 8-12 (5-9 behind the arc; I guess some 3's finally started falling when I gave up). Parker only other Sky in double figures w/ 13. Sloot has 12 assists but can't hit shots today (3-12). Down 5 w/ 5 1/2 minutes to go.