Thread: Kaden Perry

Default Kaden Perry

I really believe Kaden Perry will be a player that reminds us of Brandon Clarke and his above the rim play in the years to come. So excited to see his progress and non stop motor around the basket. Welcome to Zagville!

No Question! With his effort and super athleticism, he literally tries to make every play. The downside is that he pushes his body to the limit a lot.

Let’s just hope that back injury isn’t anything chronic.

His game definitely reminds me of BC, which is very exciting!!

Prior to his injury this year, Kaden had really stepped up for his high school team. In his junior season, he would sometimes drift in and out of the game, and wouldn't always be able to impose his will on the game. This year, however, he was scoring almost half of his team's points, and was seeking out the ball much more actively. It was great to see him being so aggressive.

have there been any recent reports on his health situation?

again the comparisons to Clarke are going to really skew people's thoughts for Perry. Clarke was a Redshirt Junior in his year here. You just can't compare a brand new freshman to that. Yes, they both jump and play hard, but that's really about the only comparison between the two. Bigs notoriously need some time to develop, Perry had limited playing opportunities last year and is now working on recovering from an injury. I guarantee people are going to balk at his first year whether he redshirts or not. Let him be his own player.

Personally, I think it depends on if Watson can figure out how to play big or not to determine if Perry sits a year. We need a real backup big that can rebound and disrupt, Watson showed flashes, but just as much, he uh, didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    have there been any recent reports on his health situation?
    Last we heard, per his HS Coach, he'd been bed-ridden for 2+ weeks

No update since.

back injuries, even in young athletes, are no joke. Hoping he's on the mend...

That does not sound good. Poor kid.

i think Shem's back injury took a whole year, if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    again the comparisons to Clarke are going to really skew people's thoughts for Perry. Clarke was a Redshirt Junior in his year here. You just can't compare a brand new freshman to that. Yes, they both jump and play hard, but that's really about the only comparison between the two. Bigs notoriously need some time to develop, Perry had limited playing opportunities last year and is now working on recovering from an injury. I guarantee people are going to balk at his first year whether he redshirts or not. Let him be his own player.

Personally, I think it depends on if Watson can figure out how to play big or not to determine if Perry sits a year. We need a real backup big that can rebound and disrupt, Watson showed flashes, but just as much, he uh, didn't.
    Thoughtful Post. I agree. Lots of issues would be resolved if our G Prep guy would match the predictions.

He would come a lot closer to reaching his potential if he would get into better shape. You can tell on certain plays that he has the talent, but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis. He just needs to get into better shape is my opinion, but what do I know. I hope Perry gets well. I have back issues and I can tell you, it is tough. I used to run 5 or 5 miles a day, and Now I have trouble even walking, even after the Drs fixed it. I would not wish back issues on anyone [ unles I don't like them }. I guess that makes me a bad guy, doesn't it ?

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    11h
    Spoke with Zag incoming freshman Kaden Perry and his coach, Manny Melo, about his recovery from a back injury.

Perry: “I have a couple of herniated discs. They said physical therapy and rest for now and I should be able to make a full recovery.”

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-bound-kaden-/

Saw that. I would ask that a medical professional in the field to please respond about the short term and long term prognosis for one similarly situated. Would be nice to hear he will make a full recovery. Starting, stopping and jumping up and down on hard surfaces is tough on the back,.

A typical conservative treatment plan is NSAIDs, activity modification, and physical therapy for 6 weeks. It sounds like he already got his MRI done, so it is encouraging to me (as a pain management PA) that he is still being treated conservatively, and it implies no compressed nerves, intractable leg pains or significant weakness in the legs. Assuming a full recovery, he might have to modify his weight lifting routine to avoid excessive lumbar flexion or lifting heavy weights that would put a lot of force on the problem area, and he may need extra physical therapy treatments after games to keep muscle spasm at bay.

To get into more detail, the term disc herniation is one loosely held, as people use it in different ways to describe a disc that is projecting into the spinal canal more than it should. I see it as a matter of degree. Patients often say that they have herniated discs when I would call it a bulge, saving herniation for a more severe case. There was a study where they used advanced imagining-- I believe MRI, but maybe CT-- on people without any symptoms and a large percentage had disc bulges of some sort. This is mentioned just to note that a disc bulge isn't an automatic problem, and you have to go by symptoms and correlate with the bulges to make sure they are causing the problem. I have seen a disc touching a nerve on the left, for example, when all of their pains are in the right leg. Also, back pain can come from the joints, muscle, disc, nerve roots, and ligaments that help hold the spine together, so figuring things out can be tricky.

A bulge can project into the spinal canal slightly without causing any foraminal or canal stenosis (narrowing of the path where the nerve exits to go down to a specific part of one's leg, or narrowing of the main conduit that the cord and cauda equina run through on their way from the brain down to the sacrum). If a disc bulges enough it can cause nerve irritation or nerve compression. The detail that is encouraging is that it is only physical therapy and rest. If there was weakness in the legs (from the nerve pinching) they likely would have done surgery already. The intermediate step between what Perry is doing and surgery are epidural steroid injections, with which corticosteroid (anti-inflammatory medication) is injected into the space just past the bone but before the fluid-filled sack/tube that the nerves run through, as close as possible to the problem disc. These can be repeated to effect, but with limitations.

A herniated nucleus pulposus can also occur, which is when the softer substance within the disc ruptures completely through the harder outer substance of the disc (these features allow the disc to be compliant enough to move but firm enough to provide support). I have heard the analogy of an egg or jelly donut to help describe it. This pulposus can ooze out into the canal and cause some of the most severe pain. The body is actually good at breaking down the pulposus and a follow up MRI on persons with history of these often shows dramatic improvement. A person with one of these might tell the story that they had 6 weeks of absolutely terrible pain that got better on its own, but are now having back pains many years later.

Those that have had back issues that require surgery and 40+ years after the fact might share a similar experience as mine. What happens is you can aggravate it if you overdue something after recovery. So one naturally limits certain risky movements to not go there. By doing so you lose flexibility and range of motion over time. It sucks but when an aggravation puts you down four days at a time enough one gets perhaps overprotective thus pays a price for it long term.
    Your beautiful 280 yard drive becomes 210��
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Those that have had back issues that require surgery and 40+ years after the fact might share a similar experience as mine. What happens is you can aggravate it if you overdue something after recovery. So one naturally limits certain risky movements to not go there. By doing so you lose flexibility and range of motion over time. It sucks but when an aggravation puts you down four days at a time enough one gets perhaps overprotective thus pays a price for it long term.
    Your beautiful 280 yard drive becomes 210��
    I didn't get surgery (and maybe should have), and my drives did get shorter. About 6-7 years ago, I quit playing completely. I am considering taking a few irons and a 3 wood to the range, just to see if there is anything left in the tank.
    Part of the problem is I can't walk 18 anymore, maybe not even 9, and when adding the cost of a cart to the green fees, beer and food, it becomes too expensive for me to play on a regular basis.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

What happened to cheap golf in Spokane? Sorry to hear all that Will. Also sorry for drifting off topic to all. As for Kaden I wish for a speedy recovery. Youth does wonders for healing and I suspect he will be fine.
    I also read that article pertaining to doing MRI’s on random people with no pain or symptoms. A good percent had bulging discs with no issue or awareness. Revealing.
    My surgeon explained that as a baby our disc’s are similar to Jello. In your early adulthood more like toothpaste. As you age it becomes firm and tough and eventually even brittle which at times pieces can break off and put pressure on nerve bundles.
    Surgery can lead to deep scar tissue which can trigger various things but usually muscle spasms that can lead to sciatica pain or misalignment until the muscles relax. Advice to younger people: protect that back! Use proper lifting techniques and pay attention, that back gives you warnings if you listen.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Sounds like a redshirt candidate. Back issues could be tricky. Sad to hear this.

Thank You. I guess we have to wait and see what develops. He is young and can recover a lot quicker than older folks so lets hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A typical conservative treatment plan is NSAIDs, activity modification, and physical therapy for 6 weeks. It sounds like he already got his MRI done, so it is encouraging to me (as a pain management PA) that he is still being treated conservatively, and it implies no compressed nerves, intractable leg pains or significant weakness in the legs. Assuming a full recovery, he might have to modify his weight lifting routine to avoid excessive lumbar flexion or lifting heavy weights that would put a lot of force on the problem area, and he may need extra physical therapy treatments after games to keep muscle spasm at bay.

To get into more detail, the term disc herniation is one loosely held, as people use it in different ways to describe a disc that is projecting into the spinal canal more than it should. I see it as a matter of degree. Patients often say that they have herniated discs when I would call it a bulge, saving herniation for a more severe case. There was a study where they used advanced imagining-- I believe MRI, but maybe CT-- on people without any symptoms and a large percentage had disc bulges of some sort. This is mentioned just to note that a disc bulge isn't an automatic problem, and you have to go by symptoms and correlate with the bulges to make sure they are causing the problem. I have seen a disc touching a nerve on the left, for example, when all of their pains are in the right leg. Also, back pain can come from the joints, muscle, disc, nerve roots, and ligaments that help hold the spine together, so figuring things out can be tricky.

A bulge can project into the spinal canal slightly without causing any foraminal or canal stenosis (narrowing of the path where the nerve exits to go down to a specific part of one's leg, or narrowing of the main conduit that the cord and cauda equina run through on their way from the brain down to the sacrum). If a disc bulges enough it can cause nerve irritation or nerve compression. The detail that is encouraging is that it is only physical therapy and rest. If there was weakness in the legs (from the nerve pinching) they likely would have done surgery already. The intermediate step between what Perry is doing and surgery are epidural steroid injections, with which corticosteroid (anti-inflammatory medication) is injected into the space just past the bone but before the fluid-filled sack/tube that the nerves run through, as close as possible to the problem disc. These can be repeated to effect, but with limitations.

A herniated nucleus pulposus can also occur, which is when the softer substance within the disc ruptures completely through the harder outer substance of the disc (these features allow the disc to be compliant enough to move but firm enough to provide support). I have heard the analogy of an egg or jelly donut to help describe it. This pulposus can ooze out into the canal and cause some of the most severe pain. The body is actually good at breaking down the pulposus and a follow up MRI on persons with history of these often shows dramatic improvement. A person with one of these might tell the story that they had 6 weeks of absolutely terrible pain that got better on its own, but are now having back pains many years later.
    thanks for this JP. no rush to recovery, just recover man

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    thanks for this JP. no rush to recovery, just recover man

I had herniated discs. I was a weight lifter and runner. That shut me down. The pain is awful, because it pinches up the nerves. Mine got even worst because I grew bone spurs all over my spine. They did surgery on me and I was able to move around and drive a car the 3rd day after surgery. After about a year it started getting bad again, I was then sent to pain management and thry gave me shots up and down my spine. It was difficult for them to get the needle in where it was supposed to be because of all those bone spurs. They finally got all the shots in where they was supposed to be. Those shots did wonders. I was pain free for the first time in years. That lasted for about 3 weeks, and now it is starting to wear off and now I am hurting again, and I don't go back until July 21. The Dr. told me the next step is surgery to insert some artificial discs and that will take the pressure off those nerves. I had surgery once and it didn't work that good, or should I say, it didn't last. I don't want surgery again if at all possible. That my story about hurting my back.

Not saying anything about Perry…

You don't meet many people that have only had “one” back surgery…its multiple.

Nice article about Perry’s values.

https://www.clarkcountytoday.com/spo...Qq-eczMG7OlmU4

thanks Sully , heart warming to read