Thread: Nembhard accepts Team Canada invite.

Default Nembhard accepts Team Canada invite.

https://www.basketball.ca/news/21-at...-training-camp

Andrew accepts invite and is the only amateur amongst the group. Would be very cool to make the team and play in the qualifying tournament in Victoria at the end of June, beginning of July.

Olynyk and Clarke also accepted invites but curious as to what happened with Pangos. Did he turn down the invite or was he not invited?

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it down given his current contract situation, heading into free agency with a possible shot at either returning to the NBA, or picking up a big contract there in Europe.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it down given his current contract situation, heading into free agency with a possible shot at either returning to the NBA, or picking up a big contract there in Europe.
    Pangos is a terrific story. Earning nearly 2 million per year in Euro play these days. Thats considerably more than he'd earn stuck deep on an NBA bench with a 1 or maybe 2 yr contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Pangos is a terrific story. Earning nearly 2 million per year in Euro play these days. Thats considerably more than he'd earn stuck deep on an NBA bench with a 1 or maybe 2 yr contract.
    The future Prime Minister....

As a Canadian, I'm happy Nembhard was invited, but also sad it looks like we will be missing Gilgeous-Alexander, Murray and Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Pangos would be a huge upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    As a Canadian, I'm happy Nembhard was invited, but also sad it looks like we will be missing Gilgeous-Alexander, Murray and Brooks.
    Brooks has accepted, per duckterritory/247.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Pangos would be a huge upgrade.
    So would a basketball.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Fellow Canadian here. Looks like Brooks did accept an invite, I assume Murray didn't accept due to his injury. Not sure about Gilgeous-Alexander though.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander put out a post on Twitter saying he declined due to injury.

Maybe Pangos can reconsider now that he signed a big contract? Unlikely but I can dream.

It is so cool that 3 Zags will be in camp. Lets get Pangos and Wiltjer there so we can have a five Zag lineup,

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Good for Kevin I guess. If I had a choice, I'd go to Spain instead of working for the Russian government.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Good for Kevin I guess. If I had a choice, I'd go to Spain instead of working for the Russian government.
    OT... St. Petersburg is one of the great cities of the world... it is as at the mouth of the Neva river on the gulf of Finland... the home of Peter The Great and Catherine The Great, rich in culture and architecture, it was a favorite destination for many visitors from all over the world pre-pandemic. It's White Nights Festival, running from August, into late October is world famous... My avatar lived there when we met... there are many worse places in the world to live than St. Petersburg... I think the Pangos will enjoy their time there...

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    OT... St. Petersburg is one of the great cities of the world... it is as at the mouth of the Neva river on the gulf of Finland... the home of Peter The Great and Catherine The Great, rich in culture and architecture, it was a favorite destination for many visitors from all over the world pre-pandemic. It's White Nights Festival, running from August, into late October is world famous... My avatar lived there when we met... there are many worse places in the world to live than St. Petersburg... I think the Pangos will enjoy their time there...

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    I'm sure St. Petersburg is rich in culture and amenities. That wasn't my point. My point was that the Russian government is bad and that A Man For Others shouldn't support it with his work if he has a choice.
    eta context: the Russian government owns Zenit through Gazprom
    and also

Easy for me to criticize someone else's decision.
    Last edited by Grand Valley Zag; 06-01-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    I spent a week there lecturing. Amazing history and art. But it's RUSSIA! lolol

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He has a brilliant future after basketball......and it may be in politics...." Can't Miss "......

Andrew plays like a pro. I'm not surprised that he is the only amateur invite. Not surprised at all.

At the end of the game, I want the ball in his hands.
    I miss Mike Hart

I had the pleasure of watching them both last summer in Australia when the toured here before the world championships.

I actually booked tickets in Perth (and a holiday with my wife and daighter) not knowing that they would also play here in Sydney as well.

While I was crushed that Kelly had to pull out of due to injury, watching both Kevin and Andrew play against the Aussies and Kiwis was a real treat.

The biggest thing I took away from watching Andrew was that he was fearless, he went right at anybody no matter who they were.

Murray and SGA are out for injuries. Chris Boucher declined for contract reasons and somewhat of a lingering injury. Other than those three and Pangos - we have all the best Canadians committed.

Pangos supposedly is out due to contract negotiations, but he also was injured right after he last played for Canada (maybe during) in 2019 and lost the entire year with Barcelona. That is surely a factor. Pangos is sorely missed as we are really lacking PGs with the French and Spanish leagues still in season locking up the next tier of our PGs (Scrubb, Keane, Ennis). Pangos is Top 12 for me after this awesome season (First Team All EuroLeague!), even if we had full turnout.

That takes us to Nembhard. I honestly wish we didn’t have to dig that far down, but he could actually make the team. Nurse liked him in 2019, we are really short on PGs, with some Euro seasons not over and although Nembhard is limited he does play with poise. However I’d put Trae Bell Haynes as the likely 3rd PG over Nembhard (after CoJo and NAW) Bell Haynes is the better and more experienced player today, but who knows with Nurse. Personally I’d rather have Phil Scrubb or Kaza Keane over either - but hopefully that is the 11th or 12th man and doesn’t matter too much.

I was surprised Kyle Wiltjer wasn’t at least invited to the camp, not sure why. Someone said something about a baby on the way, but not sure. Probably was invited and he declined. He would not likely make this team, with all that depth among bigs. But he had a shot to fill a role.

Kelly Olynyk will be the key big for Canada and is just a fantastic big for the FIBA game. I’m ecstatic he is playing as I didn’t think he would as a FA. I honestly think he is the most important player on the entire list for Canada.

Clarke I’m iffy on after a pretty bad season relative to his fantastic rookie season. Someone completely messed with his shot and he is far from the same player he was last year. I think he has lingering injuries too. He also has never played a minute with the national team or FIBA at all (Or for Nurse). With such a short prep window (less than two weeks) I’d go with someone with FIBA and Team Canada system experience over Clarke. The bigs, if I had to choose would be KO, Birch and TT for sure. Then likely Brissett and Ejim. Perhaps then Clarke, Powell or Nicholson. Either of the last three could make the team over Ejim or Brissett though.I think we go with 5 bigs and probably see Wiggins or Brooks manning the 4 for stretches. Pretty sure Nurse with run with CoJo, Barrett, Brooks, Wiggins, Olynyk line ups at times. But I’m glad Clarke will be at camp to get some experience - He could be one of Canadas most important bigs a few years down the road if he gets back to form (I think he will).

Good times as this will be the most talented team Canada has floored ever by far. I just wish we had one of SGA, Murray or Pangos to shore up the PG. The dream scenario of course would be to have all three - but that probably never happens, so this is good enough.

This is such a short window to prepare - camp opens on the 16th and first game is the 29th. We don't even have any exhibition games lined up yet. This is going to be a big problem for Canada as we will face teams with much more prep time (Greece opened camp yesterday) and multiple exhibition games. But hopefully our overwhelming talent advantage is enough. I'm not certain it is though...
    Last edited by Mojo13; 06-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.