Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this team better than last year's?

Default Is this team better than last year's?

With the news that Timme is back, the roster is now pretty much finalized. My question here is this - is the '21-'22 squad better than '20-'21? If we substituted next year's team into last year's schedule, do they go all the way? Would last year's team beat next year's? Finally based on next year's schedule can next year's team finish the regular season undefeated again?

I don't opine as to the answers, especially because we don't know how a lot of freshmen will react to D1. However, I do opine, that based on the questions you ask, it's crazy to think of the expectations our fanbase has, and even crazier to think their justified by our performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Talent wise? Dunno till we see em. Title? Maybe. Last year we went as far as a tea can go being in the title game. We’ll see how it goes..

Lets Line them Up:

2020-21

Nembhard
    Ayayi
    Suggs
    Kispert
    Timme

Watson
    Cook
    Strawther
    Harris
    Ballo

2021-22
    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Bolton
    Holmgren
    Timme

Harris
    Strawther
    Watson
    Sallis
    Perry
    Gregg

No idea how good these freshman are, but this years team should have much more depth. Last years team only went 7 deep because the Freshman were not all the way ready yet. This year those kids are sophmores and the Freshman we do have coming in appear to be ready from Day 1. Next years team has a legit 9 guys that would start for a lot of top 25 squads. Overall talent is better on next years team i believe-- the experience from this past years team tilts the scale a little though. Hard to replicate Ayayi, Kispert experience...

Depends upon how Chet, Sallis, Hickman translate to college. How Watson, Julian, Dom grow their game and how Bolton fits in. Timme & Andrew will be bringing it. VERY promising!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Lets Line them Up:

2020-21

Nembhard
    Ayayi
    Suggs
    Kispert
    Timme

Watson
    Cook
    Strawther
    Harris
    Ballo

2021-22
    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Bolton
    Holmgren
    Timme

Harris
    Strawther
    Watson
    Sallis
    Perry
    Gregg

No idea how good these freshman are, but this years team should have much more depth. Last years team only went 7 deep because the Freshman were not all the way ready yet. This year those kids are sophmores and the Freshman we do have coming in appear to be ready from Day 1. Next years team has a legit 9 guys that would start for a lot of top 25 squads. Overall talent is better on next years team i believe-- the experience from this past years team tilts the scale a little though. Hard to replicate Ayayi, Kispert experience...

Andrew, Timme, Chet only locks for starting

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Depends upon how Chet, Sallis, Hickman translate to college. How Watson, Julian, Dom grow their game and how Bolton fits in. Timme & Andrew will be bringing it. VERY promising!
    Exactly! I have nothing further to add other than is it basketball season yet??

Potentially. See what Coach Few & assistants can do with them. Duke will be an early test.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    With the news that Timme is back, the roster is now pretty much finalized. My question here is this - is the '21-'22 squad better than '20-'21? If we substituted next year's team into last year's schedule, do they go all the way? Would last year's team beat next year's? Finally based on next year's schedule can next year's team finish the regular season undefeated again?
    Elite shot blockers are hard to come by but so is an athlete and leader like Suggs. Too early to tell IMO.

Edit: didn’t mean to reply to this post!
    Go Zags!!!

Is this team better than last year's?

I don't think so but I can't tell. Chemistry and maturity are hard to measure. I'd say lower floor, higher ceiling with Chet being the wildcard.

So far, last year’s team has 31 more wins than this year’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    So far, last year’s team has 31 more wins than this year’s.
    Back in the late 80's or so, around the end of October, a friend of mine saw Don Monson coming out of an eatery on 13th Av. in Eugene. Friend asked "Coach, how's the team looking this year?"

Monson replied, "so far, we're undefeated".

Depends on if we can defend around the basket. I know Chet is a blocker and all that, but Baylor like interior players killed us all year without a defense playing big. Just my opinion

due to the relative youth of this roster when compared to resent teams, I'm mentally preparing myself for a lot of missed assignments and easy shots early on in the season, with the expectation for improvement over the course of the year. I think that the presence of Ayayi and Kispert will be missed on that end. Suggs was such a special defender that we might not see somebody like him from that perspective for a long time.

On the plus side, the rim protection should be very good with Chet on board. Dom has the want-to, athleticism, and experience on defense to be very good, and that might actually give him the edge to be a starter; he is my pre-season pick to be the guy who gets given the tough assignment on defense and hope he goes to the Gary Bell Jr school of making life miserable for the offensive player. Watson is reliable defensively and makes some spectacular plays with his hands, and should be a plug and play option at multiple spots. I hope Strawther shows some acumen defensively, as he has the length to be very good.

From a game-planning perspective, I don't think that teams will be able to pick on Timme in the pick and roll as much as they did last year because of the help and rest he will get. This team should have the ability to switch just about every screen. It seems like the other team will have to run good offense and hope for missed assignments, as the length and athleticism looks great on paper. Kaden Perry will be a bonus and a major wild-card if he is able to contribute this year. If Gregg plays good positional defense he should be able to hold his own guarding a power forward. Sallis and Hickman are wildcards, and I hope they are fast learners. A big question mark is how they would handle a very big and strong post player, but I'm not too worried about that.

Offensively, this team has looked automatic for years and I think Coach Few is a great offensive coach. I don't know how you don't score at a good clip with Timme around, especially, and with all of the talent they have.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    due to the relative youth of this roster when compared to resent teams, I'm mentally preparing myself for a lot of missed assignments and easy shots early on in the season, with the expectation for improvement over the course of the year. I think that the presence of Ayayi and Kispert will be missed on that end. Suggs was such a special defender that we might not see somebody like him from that perspective for a long time.

On the plus side, the rim protection should be very good with Chet on board. Dom has the want-to, athleticism, and experience on defense to be very good, and that might actually give him the edge to be a starter; he is my pre-season pick to be the guy who gets given the tough assignment on defense and hope he goes to the Gary Bell Jr school of making life miserable for the offensive player. Watson is reliable defensively and makes some spectacular plays with his hands, and should be a plug and play option at multiple spots. I hope Strawther shows some acumen defensively, as he has the length to be very good.

From a game-planning perspective, I don't think that teams will be able to pick on Timme in the pick and roll as much as they did last year because of the help and rest he will get. This team should have the ability to switch just about every screen. It seems like the other team will have to run good offense and hope for missed assignments, as the length and athleticism looks great on paper. Kaden Perry will be a bonus and a major wild-card if he is able to contribute this year. If Gregg plays good positional defense he should be able to hold his own guarding a power forward. Sallis and Hickman are wildcards, and I hope they are fast learners. A big question mark is how they would handle a very big and strong post player, but I'm not too worried about that.

Offensively, this team has looked automatic for years and I think Coach Few is a great offensive coach. I don't know how you don't score at a good clip with Timme around, especially, and with all of the talent they have.

AND we don't know a lot about the defensive skills with the new kids. Defense wins so manygames!!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    IMO...

Neither team would have beaten Baylor...they were a fine, oiled machine. In a ten game match, we might win between two and four games...

The hypothetical question of: if 20-21 can beat 21-22...I think Suggs is the difference maker so that answer is no...

no

Last year's team was really good. I think people are taking too much from the Baylor game in how they remember it. Played our worst game of the season coming off an extremely emotional win.

Impossible to say if we're better in 2022 since we haven't seen them play. If Chet is as good as I think he will be, then yeah we're probably better. We need Nembhard to make a leap and be a star. Gonna need guys to make shots. But if Chet is the number 1 pick in 2022 then we probably have our best team.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Last year's team was really good. I think people are taking too much from the Baylor game in how they remember it. Played our worst game of the season coming off an extremely emotional win.

Impossible to say if we're better in 2022 since we haven't seen them play. If Chet is as good as I think he will be, then yeah we're probably better. We need Nembhard to make a leap and be a star. Gonna need guys to make shots. But if Chet is the number 1 pick in 2022 then we probably have our best team.
    I saw Baylor play several times last year and that championship game was the best game that I saw them play.

Depth at all positions, but particularly down low, should allow the 21-22 team to be much more aggressive defensively.

Yes, if Watson, DH, Strawther will challenge the new Freshmen and transfers.

On raw talent, probably, but given the youth of the team, I'd be shocked if we don't drop a couple of games where things just don't come together. My initial guess is higher ceiling as far as overall level of play, but also lower floor and less consistency.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Time will tell. I like that we have depth, but we need to see how all these puzzle pieces fit together. Still wish we had 1 more proven bruiser but that's me being selfish.

Should be fun.
    America's Team!

Default I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Depends on if we can defend around the basket. I know Chet is a blocker and all that, but Baylor like interior players killed us all year without a defense playing big. Just my opinion
    Maybe Ben Gregg can put on ten lbs and turn into a rebounder. He would be exactly the same height and weight as Timme then. Would have been nice to get a big in the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I wouldn't say they killed us. These are the best bigs we played against: