• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Indonesian recruit? News to me?

Also not joining the team is prospect Derrick Xzavierro, a 17-year-old, 6'8" forward who is seen as the future of Indonesian basketball. He recently committed to joining the NBA Global Academy, which will be followed up by entry to US NCAA Division 1 school Gonzaga University.

"This is a young kid who is the biggest prospect, not just in Indonesia, maybe the biggest prospect in Asia," opined the inaugural coach of the Gilas program.

"Next year he will be with the Gonzaga University recruiting him to play NCAA. You know for Indonesian player to play in Gonzaga, that's a big achievement because they have a very strong program, we can say that [Domantas] Sabonis was from this program who plays for Indiana, [Rui] Hachimura is also famous, a lot of good players coming from this program," continued Toroman.

Link: https://tv5.espn.com/basketball/stor...ilas-kai-sotto
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I’ll bet Spy had him on his radar!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Worthington
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Aug 2011

So we just landed another super high upside international recruit?! This kid looks even more raw than Rui at the same age, but man does he have seen incredible physical tools. I'm all for bringing in another swing for the fences recruit, it's always so fun to watch the developmental path. Welcome aboard Mr. Xzavierro!

Comment

• zagfan1
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

That link also talked about Kai Sotto who went to the G League this year and then transferred to the Australia NBL to get extra help with his development. He should have really went to college to further develop his game. I think Gonzaga had an interest in him at one time.

Comment

• bdmiller7
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
          That link also talked about Kai Sotto who went to the G League this year and then transferred to the Australia NBL to get extra help with his development. He should have really went to college to further develop his game. I think Gonzaga had an interest in him at one time.
          Soto was 68 on 247’s composite. He definitely would have been better off with 2-3 years of college instead of never getting passed to in the G league.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
            So we just landed another super high upside international recruit?! This kid looks even more raw than Rui at the same age, but man does he have seen incredible physical tools. I'm all for bringing in another swing for the fences recruit, it's always so fun to watch the developmental path. Welcome aboard Mr. Xzavierro!
            Yes, very raw, but I don’t see more upside than Rui. No way.

Rui was Superman.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

It’s hard to gauge ability. Jimmer can score about 100 points against similar Asian talent. He looks like Jordan on steroids.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t count him in the rotation in any given future year. Rather, I’d be patient and be pleasantly surprised (that might not be the right word) if he develops into a solid contributor.

Comment

• hockeyzag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Jul 2007

I wouldn't count out a bit of lost in translation regarding whether this kid is actually coming to GU or if we're just recruiting him. I seriously doubt he's been offered.

The level of competition in the video I just saw was the lowest I've seen on any basketball highlight video. It's a good thing he's going to play in the NBA academy to see how he'll do against real competition.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
                  I wouldn't count out a bit of lost in translation regarding whether this kid is actually coming to GU or if we're just recruiting him. I seriously doubt he's been offered.

The level of competition in the video I just saw was the lowest I've seen on any basketball highlight video. It's a good thing he's going to play in the NBA academy to see how he'll do against real competition.
                  Not a bad theory. Seems like a lot of risk. After 2-3 years there is a chance he could be productive. A lot of the guys we are targeting these days have a high probability of success (4 and 5 star recruits). I think we are in a different place now.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

when Ballo joined us I thought he was not a risk, I thought he would be on track with Rui for timeline improvement. turned out he was a swing for the fences recruit ...

Comment

• ZANY
                      Kennel Club
                      • Dec 2020

Last year before the season started I had such high expectations for Ballo. In reality it was probably the most off I was about how any player would do last year. Shows what I know!

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                        when Ballo joined us I thought he was not a risk, I thought he would be on track with Rui for timeline improvement. turned out he was a swing for the fences recruit ...
                        This guy, wishing him all the best, is a few notches below Ballo at a similar juncture. Again, a few years ago even, that’s what we did - we took risks and developed. Given the recruits we can bring in domestically, just not sure we need to assume the same risk premium.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                          I think the problem is people think Ballo should have had a freshman season like what Hunter Dickinson had for Michigan, but few consider that Dickinson was 20 before the season started and Ballo isn’t even 19 yet. If Ballo was a US kid he would be graduating high school in the next week or two. Suggs will actually be 20 in June, while Ballo won’t even be 19 until July. While Ballo may have struggled to keep up with GU’s globetrotter offense, I bet in 2 years when he is 20 he will be pretty damn good for Arizona. Give Ballo some time, age wise he should be a freshman in the coming season.

Comment

• Worthington
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Aug 2011

I have no problem filling out the roster with a swing for the fence prospect like this. The competition he's playing against in the highlight footage is very low level, but his physical profile is that of a 5 star recruit. 6'8", 7'+ wingspan, fluid athlete. It's kind of a luxury bringing in guys who are on a different developmental path and don't expect to be stars the moment they step on campus. There aren't many high level American recruits who are going to accept waiting multiple years for their turn to come.

Comment

• ZagNut08
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
                              I have no problem filling out the roster with a swing for the fence prospect like this. The competition he's playing against in the highlight footage is very low level, but his physical profile is that of a 5 star recruit. 6'8", 7'+ wingspan, fluid athlete. It's kind of a luxury bringing in guys who are on a different developmental path and don't expect to be stars the moment they step on campus. There aren't many high level American recruits who are going to accept waiting multiple years for their turn to come.
                              Exactly, we are going to need to find players willing to wait in line to develop, because basing your hopes on 1 and done players doesn't always work out well.

Comment

Working...
                              X