• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagsfanforlife
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Tommy replacement

Caldwell posted about it today. I am happy with the hire and I think we all will be too. Actually spoke with him during the baylor game and he was breaking down ways in which baylor was exploiting us and what he would do. Seemed like a great guy and he’s best friends with Bmike
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

If this is moving that fast, I'd have to think it has to be someone with ties to the GU program previously. The one that makes the most sense would be Stephen Gentry who is on the Illinois staff. I'm not sure he'd leave Underwood with the history he's had with him but he also has history with GU. Otherwise, perhaps someone internal (less likely). I don't get the feeling they are going to go too far out of the GU circle on this one.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
      If this is moving that fast, I'd have to think it has to be someone with ties to the GU program previously. The one that makes the most sense would be Stephen Gentry who is on the Illinois staff. Otherwise, perhaps someone internal (less likely). I don't get the feeling they are going to go too far out of the GU circle on this one.

Comment

• ZagNut08
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Did they announce who? Best friends with BMike makes me think Turiaf...who was the first person I said I’d want when tommy left.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
          Did they announce who? Best friends with BMike makes me think Turiaf...who was the first person I said I’d want when tommy left.
          Turiaf isn’t leaving his farm and animals in France

Comment

• Section 116
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Regarding Tommy: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-the-wildcats/

Comment

• ZagNut08
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
              Turiaf isn’t leaving his farm and animals in France
              Ya I have no idea what most are doing post zags, sounds like the good life.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                Zag for Life
                • May 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                I talked to my guy this afternoon and I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ZagaZags
                  Banned
                  • May 2010

Comment

• ZANY
                    Kennel Club
                    • Dec 2020

Rumor on the internet (Reddit) is that Gentry from Illinois will be coming in.

Comment

• SwainZag
                      Kennel Club
                      • Mar 2009

Would love see Gentry come back home! We were in the dorms together freshman year, pretty cool to see him out there

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by ZANY View Post
                        Rumor on the internet (Reddit) is that Gentry from Illinois will be coming in.
                        I would say that this is a fair statement.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                          I would say that this is a fair statement.
                          Honest question - aside from being previously linked to the program, what does Gentry bring? What role would he be filling? I'm not really up to date on assistant coaches.

Comment

• Vanilla Gorilla
                            Redshirt
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                            Honest question - aside from being previously linked to the program, what does Gentry bring? What role would he be filling? I'm not really up to date on assistant coaches.
                            He has a very very strong rep with X's and O's and analytics. He runs illinois offense. there was a great article during the tourney (SI maybe?) about how Tommy, Gentry and Jakus from Baylor kept in regular contact and talked shop on offensive strategy

No idea on his recruiting prowess

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2008

to Vanilla's point, a good read on it here and more

Gentry pored over game tape and analytics in the offseason and helped oversee major changes to the offense. Some of the changes – shifting from a pinch-post offense to ball-screen packages – were implemented during the 2020 season, but they’ve truly taken root this year.

Illinois was 83rd in KenPom’s offensive efficiency the year before Gentry’s arrival. It moved up to 38th last season and currently ranks seventh.
                              “We weren’t even adding plays, it was all ball-screen concepts and different spacing against different types of coverages,” Gentry said. “That’s kind of the gift that keeps giving. Now that we’ve added set plays, we have solutions for every type of coverage.

“I think that’s why when you watch us play, our flow is so much better. Last year, we didn’t have great spacing and the ball would stick.”

Gentry said Illinois has versatile forwards in the mold of former Zag Killian Tillie, who Gentry called an “all-time problem solver.”

“To tie it back into Gonzaga...."

Comment

Working...
                              X