Thread: Tommy replacement

Default Tommy replacement

Caldwell posted about it today. I am happy with the hire and I think we all will be too. Actually spoke with him during the baylor game and he was breaking down ways in which baylor was exploiting us and what he would do. Seemed like a great guy and he’s best friends with Bmike

If this is moving that fast, I'd have to think it has to be someone with ties to the GU program previously. The one that makes the most sense would be Stephen Gentry who is on the Illinois staff. I'm not sure he'd leave Underwood with the history he's had with him but he also has history with GU. Otherwise, perhaps someone internal (less likely). I don't get the feeling they are going to go too far out of the GU circle on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    If this is moving that fast, I'd have to think it has to be someone with ties to the GU program previously. The one that makes the most sense would be Stephen Gentry who is on the Illinois staff. Otherwise, perhaps someone internal (less likely). I don't get the feeling they are going to go too far out of the GU circle on this one.

Did they announce who? Best friends with BMike makes me think Turiaf...who was the first person I said I’d want when tommy left.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Did they announce who? Best friends with BMike makes me think Turiaf...who was the first person I said I’d want when tommy left.
    Turiaf isn’t leaving his farm and animals in France

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Turiaf isn’t leaving his farm and animals in France
    Ya I have no idea what most are doing post zags, sounds like the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I talked to my guy this afternoon and I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor on the internet (Reddit) is that Gentry from Illinois will be coming in.

Would love see Gentry come back home! We were in the dorms together freshman year, pretty cool to see him out there

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    Rumor on the internet (Reddit) is that Gentry from Illinois will be coming in.
    I would say that this is a fair statement.

I would say that this is a fair statement.
    Honest question - aside from being previously linked to the program, what does Gentry bring? What role would he be filling? I'm not really up to date on assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Honest question - aside from being previously linked to the program, what does Gentry bring? What role would he be filling? I'm not really up to date on assistant coaches.
    He has a very very strong rep with X's and O's and analytics. He runs illinois offense. there was a great article during the tourney (SI maybe?) about how Tommy, Gentry and Jakus from Baylor kept in regular contact and talked shop on offensive strategy

No idea on his recruiting prowess

to Vanilla's point, a good read on it here and more
    https://www.nbcrightnow.com/sports/g...5045031f8.html

Gentry pored over game tape and analytics in the offseason and helped oversee major changes to the offense. Some of the changes – shifting from a pinch-post offense to ball-screen packages – were implemented during the 2020 season, but they’ve truly taken root this year.

Illinois was 83rd in KenPom’s offensive efficiency the year before Gentry’s arrival. It moved up to 38th last season and currently ranks seventh.
    “We weren’t even adding plays, it was all ball-screen concepts and different spacing against different types of coverages,” Gentry said. “That’s kind of the gift that keeps giving. Now that we’ve added set plays, we have solutions for every type of coverage.

“I think that’s why when you watch us play, our flow is so much better. Last year, we didn’t have great spacing and the ball would stick.”

Gentry said Illinois has versatile forwards in the mold of former Zag Killian Tillie, who Gentry called an “all-time problem solver.”

“To tie it back into Gonzaga...."

As the other posters have said, Gentry is very in tune with analytics as well as strategy (X's and O's).

Really tough to replace Tommy as he is a really great recruiter and X’s and O’s Guy.

Does Gentry have recruiting responsibilities? B-Mike and Powell are both high level recruiters so should be alright on that front but always nice to have really good recruiters at all the assistant positions.

I remember doing a piece on him as a walk-on for the student paper back in the day. Been fun to watch his progression through the ranks, and would be great to have him back here.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Really tough to replace Tommy as he is a really great recruiter and X’s and O’s Guy.

Does Gentry have recruiting responsibilities? B-Mike and Powell are both high level recruiters so should be alright on that front but always nice to have really good recruiters at all the assistant positions.
    I was just reading an article about Stephen taking on some recruiting at Illinois and he came right in and grabbed a top 100 recruit from the state of Indiana, where Illinois had only 1 scholarship player in 30 years from Indiana. I think the kids name was Goode, but he said he couldn’t imagine committing to anyone else after the relationship he and Gentry had. Stephen is from Texas I believe and has been on staffs at Texas A&M, SFA, and Oklahoma St I think, hopefully he has ties and can keep a Texas recruiting line open.

Gentry is from Kansas, Ft Scott IIRC

Assuming that Gentry is the guy coming to Gonzaga, what is going on at Illinois under Underwood? They just had two assistants head to Kentucky today and Gentry would be the third leaving this year. It doesn't seem like they are losing players, other than those looking at going professional (Cockburn/Frazier don't have agents), and they got a pretty good transfer in the fold as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Gentry is from Kansas, Ft Scott IIRC
    I looked at his stats on sports reference just to see what years he was at GU and who he played with. He was a year behind B-Mike. That showed him from Fort Scott, TX, but it definitely could be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, Gentry is the one that turned the Zag staff on to Timme.

Fuzzy on the story; think it was when he & Underwood were leaving Ok. State for Illinois & had been recruiting Timme.
    But we don't play nobody.

Assuming that Gentry is the guy coming to Gonzaga, what is going on at Illinois under Underwood? They just had two assistants head to Kentucky today and Gentry would be the third leaving this year. It doesn't seem like they are losing players, other than those looking at going professional (Cockburn/Frazier don't have agents), and they got a pretty good transfer in the fold as well.

PURE SPECULATION: wonder if Underwood would would reach out to Roger Powell (Illinois Alum) & if Roger would be interested in uprooting his young family for anything other than a head coaching job?
    But we don't play nobody.