Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Cook enters the transfer portal

Default Aaron Cook enters the transfer portal

Verbal Commits
    @VerbalCommits
    · 33m
    Gonzaga G Aaron Cook (RS SR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. https://verbalcommits.com/players/aaron-cook

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Verbal Commits
    @VerbalCommits
    · 33m
    Gonzaga G Aaron Cook (RS SR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. https://verbalcommits.com/players/aaron-cook
    Well shoot! Would have loved him be our backup for the young guys again.

Did everything that was asked of him, and much more. Best of luck young man
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Very disappointing ......best of luck to you Aaron you were just terrific .......thanks....

Really enjoyed Aaron's time here. Hope he stars at his new place.

I'm surprised here. I thought he could've competed for real minutes this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

interesting decision. guess i always assumed if he used his extra year he'd remain a zag. any speculation on why he's leaving...is it just that he wants a starting role or is there is any other subtext here that i'm missing.

He did a good job last year in his role but it would have been the same or smaller next year. Makes sense he’s looking for more opportunity. Hope it works out for him.

Wonder if he knows something we don't? He certainly has a right to go star elsewhere (and that will likely be a pretty damn good program). I'd have liked to see him back, but you couldn't ask for a better teammate. His defensive footwork was something to behold.

I don’t think there’s much to read into here. If we bring in a transfer guard like we’re expected to and Harris gets more minutes then there wasn’t going to be much of a spot for Cook within the rotation. Just how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    interesting decision. guess i always assumed if he used his extra year he'd remain a zag. any speculation on why he's leaving...is it just that he wants a starting role or is there is any other subtext here that i'm missing.
    I would have assumed he would have went pro somewhere instead of using the extra year playing limited minutes. Using the extra year to go start and play 30+ minutes has to be enticing.

He was definitely a luxury. Always surprised he didn’t get more minutes, always seemed so effective out there. Best of luck!

My understanding is entering the transfer portal is the only way to communicate with other schools and explore your options for next season. I too have been hoping Cook will be Zags’ veteran backup PG next season. Now I hope this decision means there’s an incoming stud PG. Regardless of what happens, smart move by Cook as it’s the only way for him to keep his options open.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

At least they gave him a heads up. One great thing that Shawn Harris said in his recent interview is that the coaching staff is always straight forward with the players. I think that goes a long way in the eyes of the players and potential recruits.

Cook was hugely important to our success this season, despite only playing limited minutes. I wish he was coming back to help the team make another title run, but I totally understand him wanting to find a bigger role for himself next year. I hope this means that the staff has their eyes on some high impact transfers, as I do think we could use some proven depth in our back court, despite the high potential our underclassmen possess.

Another thing to keep in mind, Cook came to GU expecting more playing time than he received. Nembhard being eligible at the last minute was great for the team, but probably cut his minutes down a fair amount. He didn’t complain and did a good job for us with what was asked if him.

Good for him. See what is out there and take advantage of the extra year. Kid was aces as a Zag. Team player, great attitude, and put up serious numbers in the classroom. Good luck Aaron and thanks for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind, Cook came to GU expecting more playing time than he received. Nembhard being eligible at the last minute was great for the team, but probably cut his minutes down a fair amount. He didn’t complain and did a good job for us with what was asked if him.
    This is spot on... Nobody was more affected by Andrew's eligibility than Aaron Cook.
    He want to test the waters to see if he can find another good program where he can
    play the minutes he thought he was going to play at GU. Good luck to Aaron... he did
    a solid job for the Zags.

Per Jim Meehan at the S-R:

"It’s unclear if Cook will be eligible immediately as a double transfer for a rare sixth season."

Aaron Cook will turn 26 in December-that's "BYU player old". If he wasn't immediately eligible and sat out, he could be 27 for his 6th season of NCAA BBall.

Anyway, I'll always remember him for those 2 dunks vs. Pepperdine. Best of luck, AC.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Per Jim Meehan at the S-R:

"It’s unclear if Cook will be eligible immediately as a double transfer for a rare sixth season."

Aaron Cook will turn 26 in December-that's "BYU player old". If he wasn't immediately eligible and sat out, he could be 27 for his 6th season of NCAA BBall.

Anyway, I'll always remember him for those 2 dunks vs. Pepperdine. Best of luck, AC.

ZZ
    i mean good for this guy! Starred at SLU, played in a national championship and now gets to choose his program at age 26.. thats amazing. I sure wish I could have played that late!

Thank you Aaron. You were terrific. Once a Zag....

Wonder if he winds up with the Billikens? From St. Louis & Coach Giac is there.
    But we don't play nobody.

- i hope in the years ahead, we do not forget aaron cook.
    - coaches and he expected more playing time, but stuff happens and he doesn't see the floor that much, but when he did he gave 100%!
    - he was an important cog on what could be argued as gonzaga's best team ever.

- kind of surprised he wants to play another year, but not that he would look to a school were playing time would increase. good luck aaron!

Really thought with Joel, Corey, and Jalen all leaving he'd have an expanded time next year. Sad because we're probably going to really need him.

Love to keep him,, He did a superior job. Good defense, Good shooter and knows the game. Dang!

This is a big loss for the Zags. Aaron was solid and I felt trust when the ball was in his hands always. A great defender and hustle was never a question. Any chance he comes back?
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!