Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Lock A Thread Without a Violation of Community Board Rules?

Default Why Lock A Thread Without a Violation of Community Board Rules?

The Shawn Harris Interview thread is locked. I looked through it and don't see what the violation is. The board rule specifically state:

Outside of those guidelines, the best solution to "unwanted" speech is counterspeech. If you don't agree with somebody's opinion, consider adding your voice.
    The thread is about GU basketball.

The thread doesn't violate any rules.

The rules specifically state that if you don't like an opinion (or find it tiresome) you can "consider adding your voice." You could also ignore the thread entirely.

What moderator believed it was a good idea to violate the spirit of GU Board rules by restricting the conversation at this point?

IF the recourse for people being jerks to our players and recruits is spirited debate a moderator can't abort the conversation the moment they get tired of listening to the debate.

And while I agree that the thread had run its course and was done with it and had started ignoring it, the point is that stopping that conversation contributes to the problem with GU Boards and its negative impact on GU Recruiting. And if we all get to pick a topic that we are tired of and lock it up, I have a couple other suggestions too.

Honestly, when we moderators get the sense that a thread is devolving into ad hominem or potentially personal attacks we will likely close it to squash things. We prefer to do that rather than letting the thread progress to the point where there are violations of forum rules and we have to warn or ban members. We don’t like doing that, so cooling things down early is a better option.

Sorry if it seems arbitrary, but we try to use our experience and understanding of various posters’ personalities, hot button topics, sense of the forum community and other similar information to guide those decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    ... cooling things down early is a better option. Sorry if it seems arbitrary, but we try to use our experience and understanding of various posters’ personalities, hot button topics, sense of the forum community and other similar information to guide those decisions.
    It may be arbitrary, but it is necessary. Thanks to you and the other mods for taking on the task. We all get to enjoy the results.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Someone took the Name in vain in that thread too. That's bound to ruffle some feathers around here, even if not a violation.

Agree-- the mods are way underpaid for their work to keep this place an environment that fans want to visit.

When a thread has served it's purpose, I like to see them locked. I also would like there to be a locked thread archive where they would be moved to.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Glad it was locked.

IMHO, it wasn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    The Shawn Harris Interview thread is locked. I looked through it and don't see what the violation is.

The thread is about GU basketball.

The thread doesn't violate any rules.
    Boardmembers are unable to see deleted
    Posts, are unable to view warnings to other boardmembers, and there isn’t a public list of who has been BANNED. I chose to just close this thread rather than delete it entirely (after deleting the posts over the course of several days that violated the rules). Thanks for the backup, Kitz.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

At this point we need to move forward and not worry about what was said. Things are happening now with recruiting that we should be focused on. Harris is part of the now so let’s get after it.

Part of the team. Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Agree-- the mods are way underpaid for their work to keep this place an environment that fans want to visit.
    We get our pay doubled every year.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I am a expert at getting threads locked....if you want one locked just let me know.... it is a gift....the bead clutchers are all knowing...... this thread will be locked soon...

Mods are doing the Lord's work on this site. No agenda just people spending their free time trying to keep the anarchy to a minimum and keep things flowing. The intention is true and I am happy they are willing to take the time to deal with clowns like myself. And as Gozags states a lot is done behind the scenes without the masses being involved. End of the day if a thread gets locked it gets locked, not the end of times. If one disagrees I am sure the mods would welcome any new addition to the mod club. They may have to split the bonus pool into a few more shares, but I bet they would appreciate the help.

Thanks Mods-- im sometimes a jackass so I appreciate you allowing a guy like me to spend time talking hoops with fellow Zag nuts.

Honestly, when we moderators get the sense that a thread is devolving into ad hominem or potentially personal attacks we will likely close it to squash things. We prefer to do that rather than letting the thread progress to the point where there are violations of forum rules and we have to warn or ban members. We don’t like doing that, so cooling things down early is a better option.

Sorry if it seems arbitrary, but we try to use our experience and understanding of various posters’ personalities, hot button topics, sense of the forum community and other similar information to guide those decisions.

Thanks! I appreciate this approach. That thread needed to retire.

Good job mods! Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Boardmembers are unable to see deleted
    Posts, are unable to view warnings to other boardmembers, and there isn’t a public list of who has been BANNED. I chose to just close this thread rather than delete it entirely (after deleting the posts over the course of several days that violated the rules). Thanks for the backup, Kitz.
    Always keeping GU Boards a well oiled machine. Thank you Kitz and GZ.

I saw many other team's message boards this season. GU Boards is still the best in my opinion.

Thank you mods for the selfless service you provide!

LOL... double of nothing is still nothing
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Ya, but aren't your bonuses like 50% of your base salary?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Ya, but aren't your bonuses like 50% of your base salary?!
    Our bonuses used to be a coupon good for one free lunch in the Foo cafeteria. After the incident with Francis, that perk evaporated faster than a ticket taker's smile.

Thanks to the current mods for keeping the boat afloat.

I just hope y'all report the Moderator income you receive on your 1040 or the IRS could be coming after you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Decent posters still get the square root of the mod salary, right?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I just hope y'all report the Moderator income you receive on your 1040 or the IRS could be coming after you!!!
    Careful Bogo, the IRS doesn’t have a sense of humor, and they may look for phantom income. lol

Joking aside and to be clear...I have absolutely no problem with moderators preemptively locking threads......

Unfortunately I managed to pretty much define my reputation in the Crosby and think eliminating political discussion was not only a good idea...but necessary....the internet has pretty much ended any possibility of civil political dialog....

I seldom read other boards but I was surprised at the criticism of the players on the BYU Board....I suspect some of those posts were made by fans of Utah and Utah State and others who are fans of rival schools....like the kids say..." haters going to hate ".

Thanks to the moderators we have a pretty civil fan board.....if anything I would encourage them to moderate the game threads....I doubt any fan knows more or cares more about how to win than the coaches...