Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84

Thread: What should be our highest transfer priority?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,245

    Default What should be our highest transfer priority?

    Next year’s team is loaded, but maybe not completely. Perhaps we could use more guard depth? More 3 point shooting? Are we light on rebounders? Something else? What should be our priority?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Next year’s team is loaded, but maybe not completely. Perhaps we could use more guard depth? More 3 point shooting? Are we light on rebounders? Something else? What should be our priority?
    A 2-3 year guard; preferably a rising sophomore that can provide a couple spot minutes if needed but will be a bigger part of the picture next year and beyond.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,997

    Default

    A 40% plus three point shooter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Arcadia, Calif.
    Posts
    294

    Default

    With FZ going to the G league and assuming Drew comes back and Martynas stays - we have 3 open scholarships. How many transfers do we sign? I think our greatest need is 3 point shooting to replace what Kispert brought to the table. We were not a great 3 point shooting team even with Kispert. Julian, Chet, and Dom are all supposed to be decent 3 point shooters but they are unproven so we really don’t know. So another guard to replace Cook who can hit from beyond the arc and maybe a wing with similar shooting skills.

  5. #5

    Default

    3 point sniper

    Defense and rebounding focused big man

    Freshman or sit out transfer we can develop.

    Those are my 3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Just have to say that wasn’t the news I was hoping for today as Caldwell Zag had hinted yesterday about big news. Looking for a great experienced transfer to commit today. One thing that I did notice when doing further research on the transfer prospects was that Harmon from Oklahoma knows Timme since they both played high school basketball in Texas at the same time. Wonder if they talked or not? I bet GU is really trying to recruit CJ Frederick from Iowa. Kentucky is probably favored since his hometown is close by.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Is there a collegiate version of Steph Curry in the portal?

    Whoever that guy is—that’s who we need.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Just have to say that wasn’t the news I was hoping for today as Caldwell Zag had hinted yesterday about big news. Looking for a great experienced transfer to commit today. One thing that I did notice when doing further research on the transfer prospects was that Harmon from Oklahoma knows Timme since they both played high school basketball in Texas at the same time. Wonder if they talked or not? I bet GU is really trying to recruit CJ Frederick from Iowa. Kentucky is probably favored since his hometown is close by.
    Did Caldwell frame it like it was good news of crummy news? If the ladder , that pretty much solidifies that Tommy was his contact.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Harmon is going to Oregon.


    I’d like to see a 3 point specialist and a big enforcer that can rebound and defend the rim a little.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Harmon just committed to Oregon a little while ago so he is off the table. Caldwell is always a bit cryptic in his hints. It seemed like it would be some sort of good news. Maybe it is still coming and we had to first endure losing Fanbo.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    715

    Default

    I think we need a 3point shooter like Zegerowski, or Fredrick. We could use speed and quickness that can get into the lane like Carr. We also need 1 more big guy, the 6'11'' guy that left Arizona would be perfect, if Tommy doesn't convince him to stay at Arizona.The 7'er from southern Utah that led the nation in rebounding would be nice, he has 2 years left. I don't know if he is in the portal or not though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,606

    Default

    Assuming Drew returns for his junior year, the 8 man rotation is already set, and it could be 9, as I expect Martynas to make more of a contribution this upcoming season.

    We have an embarrassment of riches, and I would think that Coach Few is receiving calls from 4-5 star transfers that want a run at a title. Why not reward a walk on or two with a scholarship for next year?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I think we need a 3point shooter like Zegerowski, or Fredrick. We could use speed and quickness that can get into the lane like Carr. We also need 1 more big guy, the 6'11'' guy that left Arizona would be perfect, if Tommy doesn't convince him to stay at Arizona.The 7'er from southern Utah that led the nation in rebounding would be nice, he has 2 years left. I don't know if he is in the portal or not though.
    Wouldn’t Groves have been perfect?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Arcadia, Calif.
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Assuming Drew returns for his junior year, the 8 man rotation is already set, and it could be 9, as I expect Martynas to make more of a contribution this upcoming season.

    We have an embarrassment of riches, and I would think that Coach Few is receiving calls from 4-5 star transfers that want a run at a title. Why not reward a walk on or two with a scholarship for next year?
    Maybe we will reward a walk-on with a scholarship. But the team does not feel complete to me yet. We were not a good 3-pt shooting team last year and we just lost our 2 best shooters from beyond the arc in Kispert and Ayayi. Kispert shot 44% from beyond the arc and Ayayi shot 39%. I am hoping Julian and Chet will be able to stretch the floor but we need at least another really good 40% shooter.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,586

    Default

    The problem is that I don't see a lot of guys beating out who is already on the roster for minutes. Those that are already here have an advantage of being in the system for a year+ already and very talented guys. So whoever it is has to be okay coming in and being the 4th guard (Cook type minutes at best - 10 mpg) or the 4th big (Ballo type minutes probably).

    Nembhard/Dom/Sallis/Strawther are going to eat up a lot of minutes at the 1-2-3 and I don't think there are many guys out there that will take minutes from them. I'd love to see a three point shooting specialist for limited minutes, but who won't be a cancer when they aren't getting minutes.

    Chet/Timme/Watson will get the bulk of the minutes inside with Perry/Greg ready to get minutes in case of injury. I think Perry is the deep bench rim protector we didn't have last season.

    So I'd like someone who is good for the team even if they can't get more than a couple minutes per game this season. A veteran specialist (shot-blocking or 3 point shooter) that wants to win or a younger guy that is okay working hard and competing for minutes in 2022-23.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Wouldn’t Groves have been perfect?
    Yes he would have, but he would have wanted to bring his brother and I don't think there was room for him. Oklahoma took them both. I am with you though, Groves would have been perfect big man. He could bang down low, and step out and hit the 3. If we would have took them maybe we could red shirted his brother who has 3 years left and he could have helped down the road. That is water under the bridge now though.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Arcadia, Calif.
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    The problem is that I don't see a lot of guys beating out who is already on the roster for minutes. Those that are already here have an advantage of being in the system for a year+ already and very talented guys. So whoever it is has to be okay coming in and being the 4th guard (Cook type minutes at best - 10 mpg) or the 4th big (Ballo type minutes probably).

    Nembhard/Dom/Sallis/Strawther are going to eat up a lot of minutes at the 1-2-3 and I don't think there are many guys out there that will take minutes from them. I'd love to see a three point shooting specialist for limited minutes, but who won't be a cancer when they aren't getting minutes.

    Chet/Timme/Watson will get the bulk of the minutes inside with Perry/Greg ready to get minutes in case of injury. I think Perry is the deep bench rim protector we didn't have last season.

    So I'd like someone who is good for the team even if they can't get more than a couple minutes per game this season. A veteran specialist (shot-blocking or 3 point shooter) that wants to win or a younger guy that is okay working hard and competing for minutes in 2022-23.
    You have said it perfectly. I think there are guys out there who could play the role you have articulated. Cook was perfect for that role and played with passion. Someone like Cook who is willing to give us 8-12 minutes but maybe who can shoot it well and be a good defender. Or someone like Matthew Mayer like Baylor who played limited minutes but who could shoot and defend.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,606

    Default

    +1 mgadfly.

    With an 8 man rotation, that works out to 25 minutes per game for each. Kaden and Gregg split that 8th man and get 12 1/2 minutes per game. That doesn't leave much else, except garbage time minutes. OOC will be front loaded, as usual. WCC will have 2-3 teams capable of competitive games, as usual.

    Looks to me like the rotation is mostly set, though there may be room for one more.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    The problem is that I don't see a lot of guys beating out who is already on the roster for minutes. Those that are already here have an advantage of being in the system for a year+ already and very talented guys. So whoever it is has to be okay coming in and being the 4th guard (Cook type minutes at best - 10 mpg) or the 4th big (Ballo type minutes probably).

    Nembhard/Dom/Sallis/Strawther are going to eat up a lot of minutes at the 1-2-3 and I don't think there are many guys out there that will take minutes from them. I'd love to see a three point shooting specialist for limited minutes, but who won't be a cancer when they aren't getting minutes.

    Chet/Timme/Watson will get the bulk of the minutes inside with Perry/Greg ready to get minutes in case of injury. I think Perry is the deep bench rim protector we didn't have last season.

    So I'd like someone who is good for the team even if they can't get more than a couple minutes per game this season. A veteran specialist (shot-blocking or 3 point shooter) that wants to win or a younger guy that is okay working hard and competing for minutes in 2022-23.
    That part you said a cancer on the team. That is the most important thing. It would be better going with what we have than bringing in someone that causes problems with team chimistry. That is what made last years team so good., everyone knew and accepted their role. A perfect 4th guard would be Cook to come back, his speed and quickness could always be used. Baylor beat us using senior citizens, so we might have one of our own, so Cook just come back and solve that 4th guard problem, if we don't get Fredrick or Zegorowski.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Yes he would have, but he would have wanted to bring his brother and I don't think there was room for him. Oklahoma took them both. I am with you though, Groves would have been perfect big man. He could bang down low, and step out and hit the 3. If we would have took them maybe we could red shirted his brother who has 3 years left and he could have helped down the road. That is water under the bridge now though.
    Isn’t young Groves as good as some on the team now? As you said he could have been stashed a year. After Tims, Chet leave older Groves starts. It’s so obvious, and could have been managed creatively, it’s perplexing it didn’t happen.

  21. #21

    Default

    The only shot we have at an impact guy this far in the game I believe is someone from a mid major who is a high caliber guy who simply wants to compete for a championship.

    Anyone from a power 5 who wants to be the man or showcase his skills for the NBA wont have that opportunity at GU next year. Harmon going to OU is an example of that. Much more availability to star on a team with lesser talent.

    Regarding walk ons getting scholarship--- last resort imo. As someone has in their signature "we are not here for a f'in courtesty"... this is big boy college hoops. The more scholarships you give away to non contributors, the lesser your depth is. Harsh, but just my opinion. If we give any away that way, hopefully just 1.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    715

    Default

    If Watson would get in better shape and hit the weight room and Perry would hit the weight room really hard, maybe they would fit that backup big for Timme. I look at Gregg as being a backup for both Chet and Strawther, who is a superstar in the making in my opinion. If Cook would be back that would fill that 4th guard. If he doesn't come back, Fredrick would be perfect, 47% 3 point shooter and doesn't turn the ball over. Zegorowski would probably take to many minutes, but I don't think you could turn down a player of his caliber though. Sounds like I have all the answers doesn't it ? I wish I did, then I could apply for Tommy's position. It is fun trying ti figure all this out though.

  23. #23

    Default

    I know our staff reached out to Frederick... Kentucky fans seem to think its a done deal that he is going to BBN. However, they also think that Marcus Carr, Max Abmas and Zegarowski are going there too.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    The only shot we have at an impact guy this far in the game I believe is someone from a mid major who is a high caliber guy who simply wants to compete for a championship.

    Anyone from a power 5 who wants to be the man or showcase his skills for the NBA wont have that opportunity at GU next year. Harmon going to OU is an example of that. Much more availability to star on a team with lesser talent.

    Regarding walk ons getting scholarship--- last resort imo. As someone has in their signature "we are not here for a f'in courtesty"... this is big boy college hoops. The more scholarships you give away to non contributors, the lesser your depth is. Harsh, but just my opinion. If we give any away that way, hopefully just 1.
    When you have reached the level we have, you need to give scholarships to someone better than a walk on. You need your bottom scholarships filled by someone that can actually step in if needed such as a talented freshman who is not expecting to get very many minutes. That is not what some think, but when you get to the level the Zags have reached you have to step up if you are going to participate with the big boys. What a great time to be a Zag fan

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    When you have reached the level we have, you need to give scholarships to someone better than a walk on. You need your bottom scholarships filled by someone that can actually step in if needed such as a talented freshman who is not expecting to get very many minutes. That is not what some think, but when you get to the level the Zags have reached you have to step up if you are going to participate with the big boys. What a great time to be a Zag fan
    All well and good, Great. But you have to play them, too. Up 30, lotsa bench players could have gotten valuable time last year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •