Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHAWN HARRIS INTERVIEW ON AFEW TOO MANY

I have only listened to a few minutes of the interview so far. Good for all of us to be reminded we can discuss our favorite team and keep in mind they and their parents may well read our comments. What I find most surprising is that the parent of a current player is doing a podcast interview at all. That’s an interesting choice. I would assume vast majority of college coaches would prefer parents of current players not do in depth interviews about the team.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

I think Harris will be great. He’ll need a year or so, but I see a flair in him that reminds me of current stars at the next level. Can he realize that potential - I’d bet in him.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I wish he was more specific in his remarks. I don't spend that much time at the Whelping Box, but I think this Board is tame. Most of us are Gonzaga alums, and I think the family theme carries through...every family I know has their arguments, too.
    I think the problem is in the game threads. There are some comments made about how particular players are doing that are disgusting. Comments are made quickly about players performance and in some cases (not all), the comments being made should result in the individual being booted from the board. I think the other boards are well moderated but I don’t think the game threads are moderated very well and I don’t necessarily blame the moderators because let’s face it, who wants to moderate when the game is being played. I would be in favor of seeing the game thread eliminated or suggest that the moderators go through and do a post game review.

The test of if something needs to be said-- 1 Is it true, 2. Is it necessary, 3. Is it kind. but on the other hand we all have a right to express our opinion as long as we state it as opinion and not a fact. No more politically correct please. Be a human being (becoming) and express your God given opinion openly with a few facts to back it up, and not just emotionally spewing our feelings at the moment ( they will change every 20 minutes).At least this is my opinion with no facts to back it up.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

This is a wonderful description of questions to ask when making public comments. I also see a trend of posters looking at things from the most negative perspective and assigning bad motives only. For example, I've explicitly said I'm joking about something, to add levity, and yet some posters continue to insist I'm being serious and then get very upset at me. I then see this anger and upset being stated in threads I'm not even participating in and have nothing to do with the joke I've made. We've lost the familial "teasing" about our idiosyncrasies and replaced it with anger and hostility if someone does something different than you. In my case, most posters don't know me personally, but I can imagine how concerning this would be to players and their family, who worry about this kind of behavior being directed at them in a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think this is the case, and really it's a challenge in our entire culture. It's the whole mentality that leads to "don't read the comments" being a strong recommendation. People feel that somehow comments that they'd never make in person are acceptable to make on the internet. This board is better than most, but clearly not above this, as there are definitely posters who feel that it's okay to move from expressing reservations about the basketball performance of player to criticizing aspects of their character.

As an educator, particularly in the virtual setting, the common thing we encourage with our students is THINK: Is the comment True? Is it Helpful? Is it Important? Is it Necessary? Is it Kind? Yes, it's an acronym, but it's also a useful way to think about what we say. I often have to remind my children that simply because what they say is true, doesn't mean that it needs to be said. To use an old philosophy saying: truth is necessary, but not sufficient.

I'd like to think that as alums and fans of Gonzaga, we'd remember that our goal should be to speak with both charity and clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    The test of if something needs to be said-- 1 Is it true, 2. Is it necessary, 3. Is it kind. but on the other hand we all have a right to express our opinion as long as we state it as opinion and not a fact. No more politically correct please. Be a human being (becoming) and express your God given opinion openly with a few facts to back it up.
    Everyone has a right to express themselves - sure. You also must deal with the consequences of what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I have only listened to a few minutes of the interview so far. Good for all of us to be reminded we can discuss our favorite team and keep in mind they and their parents may well read our comments. What I find most surprising is that the parent of a current player is doing a podcast interview at all. That’s an interesting choice. I would assume vast majority of college coaches would prefer parents of current players not do in depth interviews about the team.
    Not going to lie I immediately thought this too, doesn't mean I wasn't going to tune in. But it does seem like a headache for the program to have a parent of a current player saying so much in an interview, even if it was overwhelmingly positive.

I'm sure Drew Timme wasn't thrilled to find out a teammates' parent made a claim on whether or not he'd be returning to school.
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 04-22-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

This is the world we live in.....helicopter parents....teenagers having press conferences to announce the lucky winners....social media trolls... fans that post speculation and opinion.... both favorable and unfavorable ..... it is what it is....

If you think that people will self regulate their anonymous behavior ....well you don't believe in traffic laws....

If this is a problem then by definition it has a solution.....if the Spokesman wants the forum to be more civil ..... they can regulate it and delete posts and ban posters....it is a private enterprise...... there is no right to freedom of speech here......

I agree with others, this is one of the more tame boards i've ever seen and think the Mods do a great job.

Even if we made this place 100% perfect, twitter and IG are far, far worse in the vitriol and hate and no disrespect get about 1000 times more eyeballs than this place will ever.

I agree about social media but the parent is talking about a board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball. The behavior of some is in very stark contrast to the actual basketball program. I think the parent expects this behavior on social media but doesn't expect this behavior from members of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by gmo View Post
    I agree with others, this is one of the more tame boards i've ever seen and think the Mods do a great job.

Even if we made this place 100% perfect, twitter and IG are far, far worse in the vitriol and hate and no disrespect get about 1000 times more eyeballs than this place will ever.

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    I agree about social media but the parent is talking about a board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball. The behavior of some is in very stark contrast to the actual basketball program. I think the parent expects this behavior on social media but doesn't expect this behavior from members of the family.
    GU boards isn't a family. All you need to be a participant on this forum is a internet connection and an opinion. You don't have to be a fan and some are here specifically because they aren't fans.

The ability to offend with any post grows exponentially with those viewing and will always end up with someone being offended regardless of content or intent.

People on this board (and every other fan board) will continue to lie, scream, and troll and the mods will do their best to maintain the reputation of the board through zealous curation.

And so it is written and always will be on the internet...
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I follow Mr Shawn Harris on Twitter.

He is quite the Zag fan and parent.

He consistently comments on all things Zag and Dom related. A big time cheerleader of the program...

He's basically a social media recruiter for GU. So much so, a couple tweets have made me somewhat nervous from an NCAA standpoint.

He comments on every current player and future recruit's twitter feeds. He's made his Gonzaga presence known via social media and regularly takes any detractors and subsequent criticism to town.

He's very protective of all current players and especially his son.

No doubt a proud parent. But he has such an online presence he's attracted the attn of several Zag related sites, hence the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Some would say it’s the poor officiating which is causing this.
    LOL

great thread, a little board self reflection can't hurt tho I agree it's pretty tame here, so much so that the sore thumbs stick out instead of being the chorus imo

A board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball is certainly viewed as part of the family. This isn't about being "offended" or "criticism." If it was that, the parent would have complained about social media. This is about posters, who self-identify as being part of Gonzaga, behaving in a way that is very different from the basketball program.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    GU boards isn't a family. All you need to be a participant on this forum is a internet connection and an opinion. You don't have to be a fan and some are here specifically because they aren't fans.

The ability to offend with any post grows exponentially with those viewing and will always end up with someone being offended regardless of content or intent.

People on this board (and every other fan board) will continue to lie, scream, and troll and the mods will do their best to maintain the reputation of the board through zealous curation.

And so it is written and always will be on the internet...

Some posters just refuse to accept humor....

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    LOL

Some posters just refuse to accept humor....

LOL if thats humor, I would suggest a different schtick.

A board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball is certainly viewed as part of the family. This isn't about being "offended" or "criticism." If it was that, the parent would have complained about social media. This is about posters, who self-identify as being part of Gonzaga, behaving in a way that is very different from the basketball program.
    You just made the point. There is no verification. A poster could be a former player, a serial killer, or a 14-girl on the other side of the world. Posters don't represent the group. Posters only represent a loose affiliation of people that haven't posted egregious enough material to get whatever account they are using permabanned. It's a low bar.

The boards are somewhere "family members" hang out, it's not a family.

It's like if I ran into a mean drunk during my first visit to Jack & Dan's. It may sour my experience but I do think Ed and the boys would make sure that the a$$ wasn't allowed back.

You just made the point. There is no verification. A poster could be a former player, a serial killer, or a 14-girl on the other side of the world. Posters don't represent the group. Posters only represent a loose affiliation of people that haven't posted egregious enough material to get whatever account they are using permabanned. It's a low bar.

It's like if I ran into a mean drunk during my first visit to Jack & Dan's. It may sour my experience but I do think Ed and the boys would make sure that the a$$ wasn't allowed back.
    I think the key is in your Jack & Dan's analogy. It may be integral to the Zag community, but all are welcome - even mean drunks who might make any particularly experience or evening unpleasant. It's up to the community (or bar owner/patrons, or mods/posters) to police unwelcome behavior.

There was a period where the nasty commentary was definitely on the upswing, but it seems to have abated - likely through some combination of bans and regular posters falling away/lurking. Here's to hoping Mr. Harris's point is about something that's already in the rearview.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I’ve said, in every thread, that I’m making a joke. If you don’t want to accept that, that’s entirely your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    LOL if thats humor, I would suggest a different schtick.

Right, but that’s not what I’m talking about, at all. The families can differentiate between the one-offs and the repeated patterns. That is why they are not making this point about social media. The issue is regular board members, over the course of years, who continue to disparage the players.. Additionally, you have regular board members who respond to this by saying people just need to “toughen up,” etc. That just isn’t going to be something people, especially the loved ones of the player being attached, respond positively to. Regardless of your desires, families clearly view this board as part of the Gonzaga family and are commenting because the behavior of some of the posters is very different from the behavior of the rest of the family.

I have a rule of thumb, but like everyone else, I have been known to violate my own guidelines. Basically, my rule of thumb is that everything that takes place on the court is fair game. Everything else should be very carefully considered. If a player is not playing well, it is ok to call it out. If you see him drinking a beer at 2:00 am the night before a game, it is not your place to diminish his standing (or livelihood) by revealing it to the world.

Having been a union representative at one time in my life, I learned some valuable lessons. Using the union rep analogy, a union (GU Boards) is in trouble if it can't police itself because if it cannot police itself, the management (moderators) will do the policing for them. When management is relentlessly called upon to do the policing, they become antagonists. They make life miserable. For everyone. It happens every time. Show me a union that cannot police itself and I'll show you a union with either a finite lifespan or rendered powerless because they are not seriously regarded with their bargaining position severely weakened.

What does that mean?

The power of peer pressure is the most desirable form of policing. You set the bar high for yourself and expect the same from your peers. You call them out when they are out of line and are specific about the perceived offense. You keep the criticism isolated to specific, verifiable events and don't let it degrade to broad brush personal criticism.

Having said that, relative to other message boards, GU boards requires minimal policing of any form. For the most part, folks are very respectful here. I can't speak to the game threads. I'm too big of a fan to be taxed with that distraction. I might throw in a comment before the game starts but that is about it.
    Last edited by MickMick; 04-22-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    Compared to other boards I've been on like Hogville, Johnny Jungle, and Rupp Rafters, this is by far the most tame I've seen by a long shot. Still, always a good idea to be one's best self when posting.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    I am a University of Montana alumnus and a big time Zag fan (my son is a graduate of GU) and I can attest this board is WAY more tame than a lot of boards. Reference the main Montana Grizzly board: eGriz. Particularly the football portion of the board if you want to experience the majority of posters on a board posting and responding to each other like kids who never matured beyond junior high. Ridiculous arguments, insults and player criticism are the norm. When I started reading and posting on this board, I was amazed and thankful that one sees very little of that here-much more informed and constructive basketball discussion. I really appreciate this board for the level of civility and wealth of GU basketball information it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    I am a University of Montana alumnus and a big time Zag fan (my son is a graduate of GU) and I can attest this board is WAY more tame than a lot of boards. Reference the main Montana Grizzly board: eGriz. Particularly the football portion of the board if you want to experience the majority of posters on a board posting and responding to each other like kids who never matured beyond junior high. Ridiculous arguments, insults and player criticism are the norm. When I started reading and posting on this board, I was amazed and thankful that one sees very little of that here-much more informed and constructive basketball discussion. I really appreciate this board for the level of civility and wealth of GU basketball information it provides.
    Of the other message boards I have read (not counting the WCC institutions), I regard the Creighton and Butler boards to be the most similar to GU boards. They collectively demonstrate basketball knowledge and seem to be respectful to one another.
    I miss Mike Hart

I agree with Dom's dad about this board. There are a lot of people who don't go to other boards and whose view of the world isn't jaded by meaner and nastier football sites. They come here thinking if anyone is going to be excited like they are that their son has or is thinking about committing to GU, it would be people on the GU message board. There are worse places than here on the internet. But coming here and having someone comparing their kid's shot to a girl's shot or being repeatedly negative for whatever reason about his recruitment is likely to be a real joykill. So yes, there are worse places, but what does that have to do with needless negativity and offensive comments amount a recruit?

And yes, this is the internet where trolls get to hide behind anonymity with very little oversight or controls on their behavior. But several of the most constantly negative (and needlessly so) individuals aren't anonymous internet trolls. They are people some of you have written about meeting at games and defended comments on the basic basis that when you met them they were actually a real nice dude. There aren't droves of Oregon fans coming to this site and hanging around for twenty years posting baseless and inflammatory posts hurting GU's recruiting efforts. Those individuals are Zags fans and the next time you meet them at a game or see them at an event you should tell them they aren't a real nice dude and they aren't helping GU's recruiting.

And then there is the idea perpetuated by moderators here that because someone has been here a long time or has a ton of posts that they should be given a longer leash. And while the rules of the forum say, "Please keep your comments in good taste" they have interpreted that to mean that if you say POSTERX "shoots like a girl" you get a three day timeout, but since PLAYERX or RECRUITX isn't probably a poster on this message board the same comment about a player is fine. You'd think that with such an ambiguous standard as "good taste" moderators would be at least as quick to defend players, coaches and recruits from such comments as they are defending those who repeatedly come to a Zags fan forum to criticize its players and coaches.

So yes, this site doesn't help GU recruiting. It could. It could easily be a place where fans come and are excited for the team. It was in the early days when every win was unexpected and success was sweet.