Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHAWN HARRIS INTERVIEW ON AFEW TOO MANY

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Just a question, but is there any basketball forum of an elite division 1 program that is scratch free of player criticism? I haven’t seen one, but maybe there is. In an ideal world everyone is always happy, but when you have hundreds or thousands of fanatics on a board, shooting 100% isn’t always easy.
    We must take this to heart, there is no question he is right, and it surely is the opposite of the family atmosphere.

To answer you're question, no, not only is there no active board that is scotch free, this is still one of the best in the country.

I realize we hold ourselves to a different standard by far, and I know I've said this 50x, but if one just drops in on a SEC or Big 12 football board - ever - one will have PTSD. But obviously that's not all that applicable bc there's a reason we're not them.

The only boards I've seen that are "better" at it than us are the ones with far less involvement, far less. That doesn't equate to what he's seen and he's a more reliable source. I just haven't seen any. SMC is awfully good at it, too.

So, it's a good lesson and good to hear. It's a message we need to heed. Having said that, I think our unpaid mods do a fantastic job given the way things are set up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I wish he was more specific in his remarks. I don't spend that much time at the Whelping Box, but I think this Board is tame. Most of us are Gonzaga alums, and I think the family theme carries through...every family I know has their arguments, too.

Most of the mods have quit. Mostly because when they get abuse for just trying to make sure that this board doesn’t drive people away. It’s also why many regulars have quit as well. I find it amusing but sad that many of the same people who complained about mods are now somehow shocked that the parents of recruits look at this board in a negative light. Maybe at some point people will learn. But I doubt it. Instead they’ll scream free speech and complain about mods. SMH
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Most of the mods have quit. Mostly because when they get abuse for just trying to make sure that this board doesn’t drive people away. It’s also why many regulars have quit as well. I find it amusing but sad that many of the same people who complained about mods are now somehow shocked that the parents of recruits look at this board in a negative light. Maybe at some point people will learn. But I doubt it. Instead they’ll scream free speech and complain about mods. SMH
    Well said. You do good work, LIZF.

We should all do better. I was far too hard on Meech. I scratched my head and hit the keys on my keyboard too often when Greg Foster Jr was recruited. I wish I could take that back. It’s students we are talking about, not racehorses, and none of us can play half as good as the man farthest down the bench. Perspective.

The Harris recruit thread (which was not specifically mentioned in the podcast) is here.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ominick+harris

Comments on Page1 are interesting to read.

Jazz claims (then doubles down with help form Demian) on telling the coach not to waste their time to recruit a California prospect.

The third and fourth posts in the thread criticize Harris' shot mechanics and dribbling mechanics.

Yeah... I can see why this was offputting to a recruit of recruit's family.

OK I just listened to the interview and now I am officially fired up and ready to go for next season.

Glad that the one person I have on my ignore list did what they do best on his recruiting thread, be constantly negative and stir the p0t incessantly...A+ ability to derail threads and make them about himself.

FWIW, super glad Dom chose to be a zag, very excited about his future. Hoping to see him get 15mpg this year and step in to a starting role the following year.

I don’t disagree with many of the posts, but I think we’re missing the bigger picture. The issue is not criticism per se. The coaches criticize the players. Heck, we saw quite a criticism in the HBO series. The issue is the kind of criticism seen on this board. The overwhelming majority of posters have never had an interaction with the players, let alone any kind of relationship. However, there are posts that cut players down to an excessive degree, with little to no evidence or knowledge of all the relevant factors. These posts also often get pretty personal. This kind of behavior is also directed at other posters. That is what makes it completely different from the Gonzaga basketball culture.

I for one think DOM has a huge upside, his athletic ability is near second to none on the team, his first step is absolutely incredible. I saw him start to focus in on defense and use his god given abilities on that end of the floor.......I am excited to see his development and fully expect some great things from the young man

As to the board the name calling and cutting at the knees is what gets old for me but seems to be on par with society today with keyboard warrior knows best mentality....but will also say this board is far tamer than ones I participate in outside the world of zaggville. But we can always strive to be better IMO
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    The Harris recruit thread (which was not specifically mentioned in the podcast) is here.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ominick+harris

Comments on Page1 are interesting to read.

Jazz claims (then doubles down with help form Demian) on telling the coach not to waste their time to recruit a California prospect.

The third and fourth posts in the thread criticize Harris' shot mechanics and dribbling mechanics.

Yeah... I can see why this was offputting to a recruit of recruit's family.
    He shot .418 and .391. Maybe the shot does need work. Is that OK to say?

There are a lot of honest, accurate assessments of players that get posted here that could be said a lot more diplomatically and with more grace. I'm sure that I can include myself in that assessment.

If you won't say it to their face, or their parents face, don't say it. It's really pretty simple.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I have said negative things before too, but to some on this board commenting “player x can’t hit anything” after he goes 2-9 is an egregious statement. So while I do agree that we can always clean up our acts a little more, on this board and probably everywhere in life, the sensitivity of humanity is out of this world at times.

I think dom will be great for us in his third and fourth year. Saw him in HS and he was dynamic. Seemed to need to shore up his ball handling a bit as he was a bit looser goosey with the ball. Quickness and athleticism which he possesses is upper echelon.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He shot .418 and .391. Maybe the shot does need work. Is that OK to say?
    Some would say it’s the poor officiating which is causing this.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    There are a lot of honest, accurate assessments of players that get posted here that could be said a lot more diplomatically and with more grace. I'm sure that I can include myself in that assessment.
    You're damn right!!!

Just wait until your daughter turns 13, diplomacy and grace are out the window...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You're damn right!!!

Just wait until your daughter turns 13, diplomacy and grace are out the window...lol.
    Was just thinking about it’s time to have a child. Thanks Tex for the reminder on why it’s taken this long.

I have said negative things before too, but to some on this board commenting “player x can’t hit anything” after he goes 2-9 is an egregious statement. So while I do agree that we can always clean up our acts a little more, on this board and probably everywhere in life, the sensitivity of humanity is out of this world at times.

I think dom will be great for us in his third and fourth year. Saw him in HS and he was dynamic. Seemed to need to shore up his ball handling a bit as he was a bit looser goosey with the ball. Quickness and athleticism which he possesses is upper echelon.
    Dom lost much of this past season due to Covid. As the season progressed, the game appeared to slow down for him. I expect great things from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Dom lost much of this past season due to Covid. As the season progressed, the game appeared to slow down for him. I expect great things from him this year.
    I saw the same. Looked much more comfy at years end. Hard to tell if it was Covid or WCC play for me but agreed he looked much better

If you're looking at shooting percentages for someone who has has played starters' minutes their whole life and then averaged 7 min a game in their first season, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment.

Everything with Dom right now is a small sample size, but here's what it looked like this season when his minutes went up:

Now imagine him playing 20 minutes regularly, knowing the system, playing more with the starters in practice, etc.

Was just thinking about it’s time to have a child. Thanks Tex for the reminder on why it’s taken this long.
    Don't wait too long. I love my youngest son dearly, but I was nearly 48 when he was born...raising kids is meant for younger parents. lol

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    If you're looking at shooting percentages for someone who has has played starters' minutes their whole life and then averaged 7 min a game in their first season, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment.

Everything with Dom right now is a small sample size, but here's what it looked like this season when his minutes went up:

Now imagine him playing 20 minutes regularly, knowing the system, playing more with the starters in practice, etc.
    Misleading. You have to treat for level of comp. One would guess the plus 10 mpg was vs the WCC dreck and the D3 level teams in the OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Misleading. You have to treat for level of comp. One would guess the plus 10 mpg was vs the WCC dreck and the D3 level teams in the OOC.
    Sure it is! Just like the stats you provided.

Come on now -- jazz even got a mention in the interview -- he is making headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Come on now -- jazz even got a mention in the interview -- he is making headlines.
    Is it defamatory? Know a good lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    I don’t disagree with many of the posts, but I think we’re missing the bigger picture. The issue is not criticism per se. The coaches criticize the players. Heck, we saw quite a criticism in the HBO series. The issue is the kind of criticism seen on this board. The overwhelming majority of posters have never had an interaction with the players, let alone any kind of relationship. However, there are posts that cut players down to an excessive degree, with little to no evidence or knowledge of all the relevant factors. These posts also often get pretty personal. This kind of behavior is also directed at other posters. That is what makes it completely different from the Gonzaga basketball culture.
    I think this is the case, and really it's a challenge in our entire culture. It's the whole mentality that leads to "don't read the comments" being a strong recommendation. People feel that somehow comments that they'd never make in person are acceptable to make on the internet. This board is better than most, but clearly not above this, as there are definitely posters who feel that it's okay to move from expressing reservations about the basketball performance of player to criticizing aspects of their character.

As an educator, particularly in the virtual setting, the common thing we encourage with our students is THINK: Is the comment True? Is it Helpful? Is it Important? Is it Necessary? Is it Kind? Yes, it's an acronym, but it's also a useful way to think about what we say. I often have to remind my children that simply because what they say is true, doesn't mean that it needs to be said. To use an old philosophy saying: truth is necessary, but not sufficient.

I'd like to think that as alums and fans of Gonzaga, we'd remember that our goal should be to speak with both charity and clarity.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V