• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Misleading. You have to treat for level of comp. One would guess the plus 10 mpg was vs the WCC dreck and the D3 level teams in the OOC.
    Sure it is! Just like the stats you provided.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Come on now -- jazz even got a mention in the interview -- he is making headlines.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        Come on now -- jazz even got a mention in the interview -- he is making headlines.
        Is it defamatory? Know a good lawyer?

Comment

• webspinnre
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by drvenkman05 View Post
          I don’t disagree with many of the posts, but I think we’re missing the bigger picture. The issue is not criticism per se. The coaches criticize the players. Heck, we saw quite a criticism in the HBO series. The issue is the kind of criticism seen on this board. The overwhelming majority of posters have never had an interaction with the players, let alone any kind of relationship. However, there are posts that cut players down to an excessive degree, with little to no evidence or knowledge of all the relevant factors. These posts also often get pretty personal. This kind of behavior is also directed at other posters. That is what makes it completely different from the Gonzaga basketball culture.
          I think this is the case, and really it's a challenge in our entire culture. It's the whole mentality that leads to "don't read the comments" being a strong recommendation. People feel that somehow comments that they'd never make in person are acceptable to make on the internet. This board is better than most, but clearly not above this, as there are definitely posters who feel that it's okay to move from expressing reservations about the basketball performance of player to criticizing aspects of their character.

As an educator, particularly in the virtual setting, the common thing we encourage with our students is THINK: Is the comment True? Is it Helpful? Is it Important? Is it Necessary? Is it Kind? Yes, it's an acronym, but it's also a useful way to think about what we say. I often have to remind my children that simply because what they say is true, doesn't mean that it needs to be said. To use an old philosophy saying: truth is necessary, but not sufficient.

I'd like to think that as alums and fans of Gonzaga, we'd remember that our goal should be to speak with both charity and clarity.
          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I have only listened to a few minutes of the interview so far. Good for all of us to be reminded we can discuss our favorite team and keep in mind they and their parents may well read our comments. What I find most surprising is that the parent of a current player is doing a podcast interview at all. That’s an interesting choice. I would assume vast majority of college coaches would prefer parents of current players not do in depth interviews about the team.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• ZagsObserver
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

I think Harris will be great. He’ll need a year or so, but I see a flair in him that reminds me of current stars at the next level. Can he realize that potential - I’d bet in him.

Comment

• scott257
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                I wish he was more specific in his remarks. I don't spend that much time at the Whelping Box, but I think this Board is tame. Most of us are Gonzaga alums, and I think the family theme carries through...every family I know has their arguments, too.
                I think the problem is in the game threads. There are some comments made about how particular players are doing that are disgusting. Comments are made quickly about players performance and in some cases (not all), the comments being made should result in the individual being booted from the board. I think the other boards are well moderated but I don’t think the game threads are moderated very well and I don’t necessarily blame the moderators because let’s face it, who wants to moderate when the game is being played. I would be in favor of seeing the game thread eliminated or suggest that the moderators go through and do a post game review.

Comment

• zag buddy
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2007

The test of if something needs to be said-- 1 Is it true, 2. Is it necessary, 3. Is it kind. but on the other hand we all have a right to express our opinion as long as we state it as opinion and not a fact. No more politically correct please. Be a human being (becoming) and express your God given opinion openly with a few facts to back it up, and not just emotionally spewing our feelings at the moment ( they will change every 20 minutes).At least this is my opinion with no facts to back it up.

Comment

• drvenkman05
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2012

This is a wonderful description of questions to ask when making public comments. I also see a trend of posters looking at things from the most negative perspective and assigning bad motives only. For example, I've explicitly said I'm joking about something, to add levity, and yet some posters continue to insist I'm being serious and then get very upset at me. I then see this anger and upset being stated in threads I'm not even participating in and have nothing to do with the joke I've made. We've lost the familial "teasing" about our idiosyncrasies and replaced it with anger and hostility if someone does something different than you. In my case, most posters don't know me personally, but I can imagine how concerning this would be to players and their family, who worry about this kind of behavior being directed at them in a public forum.

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    I think this is the case, and really it's a challenge in our entire culture. It's the whole mentality that leads to "don't read the comments" being a strong recommendation. People feel that somehow comments that they'd never make in person are acceptable to make on the internet. This board is better than most, but clearly not above this, as there are definitely posters who feel that it's okay to move from expressing reservations about the basketball performance of player to criticizing aspects of their character.

As an educator, particularly in the virtual setting, the common thing we encourage with our students is THINK: Is the comment True? Is it Helpful? Is it Important? Is it Necessary? Is it Kind? Yes, it's an acronym, but it's also a useful way to think about what we say. I often have to remind my children that simply because what they say is true, doesn't mean that it needs to be said. To use an old philosophy saying: truth is necessary, but not sufficient.

I'd like to think that as alums and fans of Gonzaga, we'd remember that our goal should be to speak with both charity and clarity.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                      The test of if something needs to be said-- 1 Is it true, 2. Is it necessary, 3. Is it kind. but on the other hand we all have a right to express our opinion as long as we state it as opinion and not a fact. No more politically correct please. Be a human being (becoming) and express your God given opinion openly with a few facts to back it up.
                      Everyone has a right to express themselves - sure. You also must deal with the consequences of what you say.

Comment

• hockeyzag
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                        I have only listened to a few minutes of the interview so far. Good for all of us to be reminded we can discuss our favorite team and keep in mind they and their parents may well read our comments. What I find most surprising is that the parent of a current player is doing a podcast interview at all. That’s an interesting choice. I would assume vast majority of college coaches would prefer parents of current players not do in depth interviews about the team.
                        Not going to lie I immediately thought this too, doesn't mean I wasn't going to tune in. But it does seem like a headache for the program to have a parent of a current player saying so much in an interview, even if it was overwhelmingly positive.

I'm sure Drew Timme wasn't thrilled to find out a teammates' parent made a claim on whether or not he'd be returning to school.
                        Last edited by hockeyzag; 04-22-2021, 02:50 PM.
                        "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                        -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

This is the world we live in.....helicopter parents....teenagers having press conferences to announce the lucky winners....social media trolls... fans that post speculation and opinion.... both favorable and unfavorable ..... it is what it is....

If you think that people will self regulate their anonymous behavior ....well you don't believe in traffic laws....

If this is a problem then by definition it has a solution.....if the Spokesman wants the forum to be more civil ..... they can regulate it and delete posts and ban posters....it is a private enterprise...... there is no right to freedom of speech here......

Comment

• gmo
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

I agree with others, this is one of the more tame boards i've ever seen and think the Mods do a great job.

Even if we made this place 100% perfect, twitter and IG are far, far worse in the vitriol and hate and no disrespect get about 1000 times more eyeballs than this place will ever.

Comment

• drvenkman05
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2012

I agree about social media but the parent is talking about a board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball. The behavior of some is in very stark contrast to the actual basketball program. I think the parent expects this behavior on social media but doesn't expect this behavior from members of the family.

Originally posted by gmo View Post
                              I agree with others, this is one of the more tame boards i've ever seen and think the Mods do a great job.

Even if we made this place 100% perfect, twitter and IG are far, far worse in the vitriol and hate and no disrespect get about 1000 times more eyeballs than this place will ever.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by drvenkman05 View Post
                                I agree about social media but the parent is talking about a board dedicated to Gonzaga basketball. The behavior of some is in very stark contrast to the actual basketball program. I think the parent expects this behavior on social media but doesn't expect this behavior from members of the family.
                                GU boards isn't a family. All you need to be a participant on this forum is a internet connection and an opinion. You don't have to be a fan and some are here specifically because they aren't fans.

The ability to offend with any post grows exponentially with those viewing and will always end up with someone being offended regardless of content or intent.

People on this board (and every other fan board) will continue to lie, scream, and troll and the mods will do their best to maintain the reputation of the board through zealous curation.

And so it is written and always will be on the internet...
                                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

Working...
                                X