Thread: America's Team?

Default America's Team?

Article about GU being honored at the State Capital:

America's team': State Senate honors Gonzaga basketball in resolution Tuesday

The resolution congratulates the entire team, coaches and players "on finishing second in the NCAA men's basketball tournament, going undefeated until the National Championship game while playing a fun and exciting style of basketball, and for making its many fans throughout Washington and beyond very proud."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-...020100034.html

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post

The resolution congratulates the entire team, coaches and players "on finishing second in the NCAA men's basketball tournament, going undefeated until the National Championship game while playing a fun and exciting style of basketball, and for making its many fans throughout Washington and beyond very proud."

This is one political statement that I sure can get behind ... and I love that it was more than Eastern Washington Senators weighing in. Good find and thanks for sharing, Spike.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Shouldn’t it be, “Washington’s Team”?

And why would someone give this one star? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Shouldn’t it be, “Washington’s Team”?

And why would someone give this one star? Weird.
    Neil Everett on ESPN SportsCenter, was raised in Spokane, and graduated from LC. He regularly refers to Gonzaga as "America's Team" when reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Neil Everett on ESPN SportsCenter, was raised in Spokane, and graduated from LC. He regularly refers to Gonzaga as "America's Team" when reporting.
    I know that. Neil is an awesome guy. My point was that Gonzaga was being honored by the Washington state senate. Hence, Washington’s team.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post

Wikipedia has GU lumped with the Dallas Cowboys.
    After several "Cinderella" runs in the NCAA tournament, the Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball team has been called "America's Team" as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Team

Tip of the Hat to the Lt Gov for saying what we all feel — America’s Team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Tip of the Hat to the Lt Gov for saying what we all feel — America’s Team!!!
    Well played….well played.

It is obnoxious for any team or organization to proclaim itself “America’s __________.” It was when the Dallas Cowboys first did it, and it remains pretentious and boorish.

Who else has a good basketball team with school colors Red, White, and Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Who else has a good basketball team with school colors Red, White, and Blue?
    Ahhh... Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I know that. Neil is an awesome guy. My point was that Gonzaga was being honored by the Washington state senate. Hence, Washington’s team.
    Think about how butthurt the Huskie fans would be regarding that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Yep. His stepdad Dave Robertson was the Basketball HC at Shadle (they won State in 1981 with Rypien on the team). Robertson's assistant, who became the next HC for the Highlanders, was Jim Groves--patriarch of the Groves clan and the grandfather of the Groves brothers of EWU fame.

And now we've come full circle back to 2021
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby