Thread: Who can recruit international?

Default Who can recruit international?

Well we lost Tommy but the train will just move on. If the Zags are concerned about the continuance of the international market let's take a look at former players. This is an opinion but moreso this post is a question.

Firstly I would start off with cultured players that have been around. Either they were foreign born or they played internationally for many years. These former players should have great communication skills but also would be somewhat well known. Some of course could be former walk ons whom already have some coaching. No specific order and feel free to add or disagree. Im simply curious.

1. Kyle Bankhead
    2. Stephen Gentry
    3. Rem Bakumus
    4. Ronny Turiaf
    5. JP Batista
    6. Adam Morrison
    7. Jeremy Pargo
    8. Matt Santangelo
    9 Karno
    10. NWG
    11. Rob Sacre
    12. Dan Dickau

I'm not sure if Gonzaga needs the international pipeline as much as they did a decade ago. It's nice to have, but they are very much contenders for top-level domestic recruits now. Doesn't John Jakus have some international connections as well?

Add Eric McClellan to that list. He can tell his personal stories about the positive effect Gonzaga had on him.

I've lived in Europe and can speak more than English, room and board would be enough. just saying it sounds like a cool job

I also don’t know if it is as important as it was 10 years ago, because so many foreign players play high school ball in the US. Nembhard, Petrusev, Zakharov, and Zeng are all recent international players who played high school in the US.

Basketball is a international game....Gonzaga is a international brand.....I suspect every player in the world knows the story by now..... what may be missing are Tommy's contacts....but now there are dozens of former players over there....

We may not need to recruit internationally as much now, but being able to recruit high level, somewhat under the radar, European prospects has given our program a huge edge that I would be very hesitant to move away from. Personally, I'd really like one of the assistants to step up to fill the void on this front that Tommy left.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    We may not need to recruit internationally as much now, but being able to recruit high level, somewhat under the radar, European prospects has given our program a huge edge that I would be very hesitant to move away from. Personally, I'd really like one of the assistants to step up to fill the void on this front that Tommy left.
    100% agree with this sentiment.

Why not both? It would be crazy not to try and continue from the foundation that was built.

Gonzaga will continue to scour the globe for top recruits. It has been a long time since Gonzaga played a season without key contributions from foreign players. Working back from this season...

2021 - Ayayi, Nembhard
    2020 - Petrusev, Tillie, Ayayi
    2019 - Rui, Clarke, Tillie
    2018 - Tillie, Rui
    2017 - Karnowski, Tillie
    2016 - Sabonis, Wiltjer
    2015 - Karnowski, Sabonis, Wiltjer, Pangos
    2014 - Pangos, Karnowski
    2013 - Olynyk, Harris, Pangos
    2012 - Sacre, Harris, Pangos

And so on...

We need this pipeline of talent. I’m sure that Coach Few has contingency plans in place to maintain Gonzaga’s profile in international recruiting circles.

Roger Powell recruited internationally. In the podcast with DD, he mentions doing clinics over in Europe with Tommy when he was with Vandy.

There is also a story where he traveled to Europe and got excited because there was this talent in filip petrusev in one of the games he was watching. His excitement turned sour when Tommy Lloyd walked into the gym. He knew it was over.

https://scorebooklive.com/washington...g-aspirations/

Someone will try and fill the void. The truth is, it will take years to build what Tommy Did. With that said, as a head coach now I dont believe Lloyd will be doing as many international trips.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Roger Powell recruited internationally. In the podcast with DD, he mentions doing clinics over in Europe with Tommy when he was with Vandy.

There is also a story where he traveled to Europe and got excited because there was this talent in filip petrusev in one of the games he was watching. His excitement turned sour when Tommy Lloyd walked into the gym. He knew it was over.

https://scorebooklive.com/washington...g-aspirations/
    That is really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by gmo View Post
    100% agree with this sentiment.

Why not both? It would be crazy not to try and continue from the foundation that was built.
    Exactly.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Will Gonzaga still recruit internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Will Gonzaga still recruit internationally?
    Is this a trick question?

If not, I will answer .....

Yes.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0