Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In case anyone is wondering about the strength of our team this upcoming season

Default In case anyone is wondering about the strength of our team this upcoming season

Assuming Timme and Nembhard return this upcoming season, we will have 6 of the top 9 recruits in Gonzaga history playing on one team (according to 24/7 sports). https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...tball/Commits/

1. Chet Holmgren
    2. Hunter Sallis

3. Jalen Suggs
    4. Andrew Nembhard
    5. Zach Collins
    6. Austin Daye
    7. Drew Timme
    8. Anton Watson
    9. Kaden Perry

Now I know recruiting rankings don't equal wins, if you scroll further you see names like Theo Davis and Pavel Zakharov in the top 11. But boy oh boy have things changed in Zagville these past three years.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Every single player on next year's team is also a former ESPN Top 100 player too (assuming Cook isn't back).

Double WOW!
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

If Fanbo does reclassify next year, he would be #14 on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ET2021 View Post
    If Fanbo does reclassify next year, he would be #14 on the list.
    Does Fanbo start over Strawther?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Does Fanbo start over Strawther?
    Gotta think not; Remember he'd be two years younger than Strawther and Strawther already has a year's experience under his belt. Fanbo would be a likely redshirt candidate, along with Perry.

Expectations are obviously high (and should be) - but the pessimist in me worries about a few things:

1. Title teams in the modern era shoot the 3pt shot very well (top15 or so) - We've recently lost Tillie, Kispert, and Ayayi. Who is shooting ~40% from 3? Is there ANY way GU is a top25 team from 3?

2. Chet, Julian, Hunter, and Dom are elite young PROSPECTS, not grown men with big game (or any serious game NCAA experience) who could now be playing the NBA. Seems like you need some guys on your team who can out-athlete and out-tough the competition, and who might have chosen to return to college despite the possibility of being drafted. Most recent title teams had a player (or 2) who fit this bill.

GU's gonna be great again, but I expect the above two points will be persistent weaknesses (though they will be irrelevant in ~20 games we dominate vs sub-75Kenpom teams).

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Gotta think not; Remember he'd be two years younger than Strawther and Strawther already has a year's experience under his belt. Fanbo would be a likely redshirt candidate, along with Perry.
    There is zero chance Fanbo reclassifies to the 2021 class just to redshirt. If he comes this next year, he will play. How much is TBD. I also wouldn’t expect Perry to RS either. He will likely compete with Gregg for minutes off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With respect to next year's team and their ability to shoot the 3, I consider the following:

* that's one of the things Chet is known for
    * I think Strawther will emerge as Kispert 2.0; or at least that's the whisper. The kid is a born scorer
    * We didn't look to Nembhard this past year for a lot from 3, but it's definitely part of his arsenal
    * If any of Dom, Sallis or (thinking positive!) Timme can emerge as a consistent 3-ball threat, watch out
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Expectations are obviously high (and should be) - but the pessimist in me worries about a few things:

1. Title teams in the modern era shoot the 3pt shot very well (top15 or so) - We've recently lost Tillie, Kispert, and Ayayi. Who is shooting ~40% from 3? Is there ANY way GU is a top25 team from 3?

2. Chet, Julian, Hunter, and Dom are elite young PROSPECTS, not grown men with big game (or any serious game NCAA experience) who could now be playing the NBA. Seems like you need some guys on your team who can out-athlete and out-tough the competition, and who might have chosen to return to college despite the possibility of being drafted. Most recent title teams had a player (or 2) who fit this bill.

GU's gonna be great again, but I expect the above two points will be persistent weaknesses (though they will be irrelevant in ~20 games we dominate vs sub-75Kenpom teams).
    Completely agree with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    There is zero chance Fanbo reclassifies to the 2021 class just to redshirt. If he comes this next year, he will play. How much is TBD. I also wouldn’t expect Perry to RS either. He will likely compete with Gregg for minutes off the bench.

I may be wrong but didn't Ballo reclassify and then sit a year? Why do you say there is zero chance?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I may be wrong but didn't Ballo reclassify and then sit a year? Why do you say there is zero chance?

Just curious.
    Ballo didn’t choose to redshirt, he was forced to take an academic redshirt by the NCAA as a non qualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    With respect to next year's team and their ability to shoot the 3, I consider the following:

* that's one of the things Chet is known for
    * I think Strawther will emerge as Kispert 2.0; or at least that's the whisper. The kid is a born scorer
    * We didn't look to Nembhard this past year for a lot from 3, but it's definitely part of his arsenal
    * If any of Dom, Sallis or (thinking positive!) Timme can emerge as a consistent 3-ball threat, watch out
    Andrew Nembhard is under 33% from three after 3 college seasons, I wouldn’t say that is a strong part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post

I see he's actually 18 already too; born January 2003. I thought he was a year younger.

- does anybody know what chet's high school stats are for shooting the 3?
    - i read all the time that he is a good 3 point shooter, but never a mention at what percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post

Just curious.
    Ballo was forced to sit due to academic reasons with credits but counting. Zeng is not coming to GU early, to RS, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Assuming Timme and Nembhard return this upcoming season, we will have 6 of the top 9 recruits in Gonzaga history playing on one team (according to 24/7 sports). https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...tball/Commits/

1. Chet Holmgren
    2. Hunter Sallis

3. Jalen Suggs
    4. Andrew Nembhard
    5. Zach Collins
    6. Austin Daye
    7. Drew Timme
    8. Anton Watson
    9. Kaden Perry

Now I know recruiting rankings don't equal wins, if you scroll further you see names like Theo Davis and Pavel Zakharov in the top 11. But boy oh boy have things changed in Zagville these past three years.
    I think if we are adding Andrew Nembhard to the list (who didn't initially sign here) we have to add other transfers as well. Meaning #5 is Micah Downs and #7 is NWG. Might be missing some other transfer too, but those two come to mind. Meaning we'd have 6 of the top 11 all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I think if we are adding Andrew Nembhard to the list (who didn't initially sign here) we have to add other transfers as well. Meaning #5 is Micah Downs and #7 is NWG. Might be missing some other transfer too, but those two come to mind. Meaning we'd have 6 of the top 11 all-time.
    Dickau?

I don't know where he was rated.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I think their could be someone on the transfer market who is an upperclassman who is a sharpshooter that Few will pursue.

I feel Timme will be back. Either way, I kind of want to go back to the 2 big man lineup. Sticking with the 4 perimeters in the Baylor game and switching everything just left Timme alone too many times against those great Baylor guards.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Dickau?

I don't know where he was rated.
    100-150 range in his class probably. SI had him as #25 pg in his class. Long Beach Press-Telegram's best in the west list had him 14th in the west. Said he got advised by some coaches to play at a mid major because of lack of size/strength/athleticism. Initially chose UW over Stanford, if my memory's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I think their could be someone on the transfer market who is an upperclassman who is a sharpshooter that Few will pursue.

I feel Timme will be back. Either way, I kind of want to go back to the 2 big man lineup. Sticking with the 4 perimeters in the Baylor game and switching everything just left Timme alone too many times against those great Baylor guards.
    if a transfer like that arrives, Few could go 9 deep with a talented rotation, with Drew back too, another way to combat what you're talking about imo. more options, more for the opposition to prepare for, more foul issue answers, just more pieces to play with maybe the best depth Few's had? idk, looks pretty deep tho I don't know the new players except from some vids.

Any inside word on Aaron?

re. the OP, WOW, and Few may have the option to develop a consistent 9 man rotation depending on what happens, try some different things with the talent depth. all for one and one for all

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I was thinking the same thing (and including Kyle Wiltjer makes it 6/12), but still impressive.

Wiltjer is the one that came to my mind if we're counting transfers

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - does anybody know what chet's high school stats are for shooting the 3?
    - i read all the time that he is a good 3 point shooter, but never a mention at what percentage.
    38% this year. 29% junior year
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Timme is going to be on next years team. It’s not even a question really. So will Nembhard. The only question at this point is what Cook does as there’s not much out there about it.