Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 117

Thread: Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    That seems to have changed over time, no?
    My point is Grier was held in the same regards as fews right hand man before he took off for USD.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I was wondering the same... before Tommy Lloyd billy Grier was the hot name... I believe Tommy only got his chance from moving up a seat if memory serves correct
    Tommy’s dynamic presence has been a major factor in Gonzaga’s rise and it’s continuing success. I would not be surprised to see the beginning of a long slow slide next year.
    Bonjour tristesse.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Tommy’s dynamic presence has been a major factor in Gonzaga’s rise and it’s continuing success. I would not be surprised to see the beginning of a long slow slide next year.
    Win and they’ll come. Compete for championships and they’ll come. Love Tommy but don’t agree with the sky is falling take. Winning gets recruits. We will compete for a NC next year and continue to reload for the Forseeable future

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,036

    Default

    Many had similar thoughts when Billy Grier, Donny Daniels, Ray Giacoletti and Leon Rice left -- there will be an impact --but the Zags always seem to bounce back.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Win and they’ll come. Compete for championships and they’ll come. Love Tommy but don’t agree with the sky is falling take. Winning gets recruits. We will compete for a NC next year and continue to reload for the Forseeable future
    Yeah - certainly seems that domestic recruiting has been on a major upswing since Michaelson & Powell arrived. Will probably take a hit on the international recruiting stage, but at this point recruiting domestically is self-sufficient. It is a big loss to be sure, but I don't see any sort of slide occuring.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Does the board one star this thread because they feel it's "too soon" to talk about replacing Tommy?

    No time to mourn the loss, rather wish him well, and move on.

    Coach Lloyd is being introduced as Arizona's HC as we speak.

    See HERE

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah - certainly seems that domestic recruiting has been on a major upswing since Michaelson & Powell arrived. Will probably take a hit on the international recruiting stage, but at this point recruiting domestically is self-sufficient. It is a big loss to be sure, but I don't see any sort of slide occuring.
    International was necessary. It is no longer. The guys we bring in now have less risk attached and contribute quicker.

    In summary, Tommy was essential, but is arguably more dispensable today. I don’t think we’ll see ANY drop off, quite frankly.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    International was necessary. It is no longer. The guys we bring in now have less risk attached and contribute quicker.

    In summary, Tommy was essential, but is arguably more dispensable today. I don’t think we’ll see ANY drop off, quite frankly.
    I agree in concept, but I would replace "dispensable" with "less painful," from a recruiting perspective. Hell of a get for Arizona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    945

    Default

    It may seem callous but from here on, I don’t really have an interest in Tommy. It’s easy for me to move on because he has moved on. I wish him well but his presence at Arizona isn’t going to make me a fan of their program. That school and the administration put up with supporting a crooked coaching staff until they can no longer ignore it. I personally hope for Tommy’s sake that he has an ironclad contract that milks them for all they are worth but it won’t break my heart if they are kept out of the tournament for multiple seasons and they finish in the cellar. Tommy’s presence isn’t going to suddenly make me think that program deserves leniency. And I am not just picking on Tommy, for what it’s worth I hope the worst for the other schools caught up in the same scandal (Kansas gave their cheater a raise and a longer contract). Oh, and don’t even get me started on Rick Pitino who seemed to suddenly become a media darling during the tournament, I think he should never have been allowed to coach in the NCAA again.

    I am certainly optimistic that Mark will bring in someone outstanding and we will continue to have a great team to support.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    2 of the last 3 years when there was a FF. Speaks well for the program. As best I can tell it's unrivaled. And a very good salary rivaling many head coaches remuneration. I m sure Few and staff have an eye on some right now, and many more will be candidates in the next months.. Early in the off season and early in the process since this came as a surprise and Tommy was just announced today.

    The sky is not falling. And "NO" it's ridiculous to say we're entering a slow slide downwards. That's just crazy. A strong program has many characteristics and among the most important is the ability to withstand departures . In the next month, I'd guess there will be a line around McCarthy populated by good applicants ( figuratively speaking of course) .

    Tommy is a superior guy. There will be others. International duties will be assigned. Tommy will be busy trying to dodge NCAA bullets and rebuilding the program there. He'll not be overseas much if some are thinking that. It's not a family feel in the big schools...especially that one.

    Remember this: the best thing always happens. We just don't see it right away. No. 1 last year and the same to open the next year. Sounds attractive? It is

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    You have to think he went into it with eyes open. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA gives Arizona a pass. LSU and Kansas are skating. My guess is there is a handshake deal between the NCAA, Arizona, and Tommy, to produce a scathing report against Miller, then congratulate administration for its swift action to fire Miller upon receiving the NOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    It may seem callous but from here on, I don’t really have an interest in Tommy. It’s easy for me to move on because he has moved on. I wish him well but his presence at Arizona isn’t going to make me a fan of their program. That school and the administration put up with supporting a crooked coaching staff until they can no longer ignore it. I personally hope for Tommy’s sake that he has an ironclad contract that milks them for all they are worth but it won’t break my heart if they are kept out of the tournament for multiple seasons and they finish in the cellar. Tommy’s presence isn’t going to suddenly make me think that program deserves leniency. And I am not just picking on Tommy, for what it’s worth I hope the worst for the other schools caught up in the same scandal (Kansas gave their cheater a raise and a longer contract). Oh, and don’t even get me started on Rick Pitino who seemed to suddenly become a media darling during the tournament, I think he should never have been allowed to coach in the NCAA again.

    I am certainly optimistic that Mark will bring in someone outstanding and we will continue to have a great team to support.
    Great take! 110% agree.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    It may seem callous but from here on, I don’t really have an interest in Tommy. It’s easy for me to move on because he has moved on. I wish him well but his presence at Arizona isn’t going to make me a fan of their program. That school and the administration put up with supporting a crooked coaching staff until they can no longer ignore it. I personally hope for Tommy’s sake that he has an ironclad contract that milks them for all they are worth but it won’t break my heart if they are kept out of the tournament for multiple seasons and they finish in the cellar. Tommy’s presence isn’t going to suddenly make me think that program deserves leniency. And I am not just picking on Tommy, for what it’s worth I hope the worst for the other schools caught up in the same scandal (Kansas gave their cheater a raise and a longer contract). Oh, and don’t even get me started on Rick Pitino who seemed to suddenly become a media darling during the tournament, I think he should never have been allowed to coach in the NCAA again.

    I am certainly optimistic that Mark will bring in someone outstanding and we will continue to have a great team to support.
    Spot on. Nothing personal. But as Tony Soprano would say, he’s dead to me. Relax, it’s just an aphorism.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    UNC penalty ring a bell?? Seems like Scott may be correct. The bigger schools who supply tons of NCAA revenue seem to get off pretty easy. UNC should have received the death penalty but nothing was done. Suspecting NCAA will go easy on AZ using the logic is that the school extracted a cancer and the source of it. Fines but the issue is over?? We'll see.
    But I also agree with Scott. Tommy is gone and he is now history but will be a competitor. We need to keep that in mind. Fond memories don't matter now that he's playing for another team.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,522

    Default

    I know Meehan has suggested they will hire from within, but I think Tommy is a different coach than RayG, Rice, Grier. He was one of the absolute greatest assistants in college basketball, and ultimately, Few's replacement. I am just not sure that elevating Roger and Brian (as good as they are) and hiring a grad assistant or a former player to be the bottom guy on the staff is the right thing to do. I would not be surprised that if Few's search doesn't turn out well if he turns to RayG again. I still feel RayG is an outstanding coach who chose the wrong school to move on to (despite Drake's success this season).

    I was very surprised that Meehan even hinted that Few could be here at 70. He has said scores of times that he is not going to be coaching at an old age. I still feel he retires by 65 - even with Tommy's loss - unless he just has a killer team coming back.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Coach Few has enough clout to bring in an external hire if need be. He has enough coaching friends and extensive a network that if there is a great candidate we might just see that. The problem is, generally, you want your number one assistant to have a minimum 2 years experience in your system. Going to be interesting. Rest assured, Few probably has someone in mind.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    Just watched Tommy's presser. Thought he did a pretty good job.
    But we don't play nobody.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    8,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Just watched Tommy's presser. Thought he did a pretty good job.
    Yeah, he did great.


  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    and it’s not like Arizona is a huge step down.
    Really? A team decades from a championship appearance with impending sanctions is not a huge step down? If those players choose AZ, they weren't Zags.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Just watched Tommy's presser. Thought he did a pretty good job.
    Watched the whole UA introductory press conference on YouTube. Lloyd is fantastic and I will definitely start following UA and root for them except when recruiting against and playing against Zags.

    UA President not impressive and pretty much a di** from what I gathered. Reporter specifically asked for both the AD and President to comment on best qualities they see in Lloyd. AD went first and gave a glowing answer...President then just did not speak and they moved on to another question. Dude does not have Lloyd’s back but AD sure does so hopefully that will be enough.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Really? A team decades from a championship appearance with impending sanctions is not a huge step down? If those players choose AZ, they weren't Zags.
    I certainly get your point and I would agree but those impending sanctions just don’t seem to scare the kids away. I have wondered for a while how they seem to keep recruiting at a high level into schools like Arizona and Kansas. USC got hit yesterday but the sanctions won’t stop them from making it into the tournament. They just never seem to give nothing more than slaps on the wrists to these crooked schools. I would go so far as to say the school already told Tommy what to expect in the way of sanctions and they are minimal.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Watched the whole UA introductory press conference on YouTube. Lloyd is fantastic and I will definitely start following UA and root for them except when recruiting against and playing against Zags.

    UA President not impressive and pretty much a di** from what I gathered. Reporter specifically asked for both the AD and President to comment on best qualities they see in Lloyd. AD went first and gave a glowing answer...President then just did not speak and they moved on to another question. Dude does not have Lloyd’s back but AD sure does so hopefully that will be enough.
    I didn't see the press conference, but this is very bad optics. The president should have mustered up something to say, given his involvement in this thing up to this point. When does UA quit being a 3 ring circus with a clown doubling as the ring leader?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Tommy’s dynamic presence has been a major factor in Gonzaga’s rise and it’s continuing success. I would not be surprised to see the beginning of a long slow slide next year.
    I don't know if I've disagreed with a "take" on this board more than my disagreement with this point.

    Brian Michaelson isn't just a "rising" star ..... he's a star. He may not have Tommy's International recruiting chops but he certainly has the respect of the domestic kids/families that he is in on. From a coaching standpoint at practice ... in games, etc he's the real deal. "The Rev" (Coach Powell) is also Top Notch and incredibly well respected in the college basketball world.

    There's no need whatsover for "Woe is me" .... "The sky is falling". At least that's my opinion.

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I don't know if I've disagreed with a "take" on this board more than my disagreement with this point.

    Brian Michaelson isn't just a "rising" star ..... he's a star. He may not have Tommy's International recruiting chops but he certainly has the respect of the domestic kids/families that he is in on. From a coaching standpoint at practice ... in games, etc he's the real deal. "The Rev" (Coach Powell) is also Top Notch and incredibly well respected in the college basketball world.

    There's no need whatsover for "Woe is me" .... "The sky is falling". At least that's my opinion.
    10000% agreed
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

    12 Straight Round of 32s

    11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,683

    Default

    I believe Tommy’s replacement is already on the staff. The question is who will be selected to be the 3rd assistant coach.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •