Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    I am not sure i feel totally comfortable with Brian being number 2 on our coaching depth chart. Of course if Few thinks he is ready for that step up than I will be on board. Guess we need to let that play out and see if it is him, or Powell, or someone else.
    Is there a reason why? Everything Iíve heard is that heís viewed as an up and coming future HC on even the national level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Is there a reason why? Everything I’ve heard is that he’s viewed as an up and coming future HC on even the national level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am going to go back on my comment. I read a couple of more articles on who both Powell and Brian helped recruit and actually both of them have done a great job. Maybe Brian a hair better just because he brought in more. I didn’t pay close enough attention to who they (Powell and Brian) actually recruited cause Tommy captured all of the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
    He wouldn't replace Tommy but I'd love to see us steal Rem Bakamus from Baylor.
    He's currently only a graduate assistant but so was Mark Few at one time.
    We need some personality and someone who can relate to and connect with recruits. I think Rem could be that man.
    Rem is going to Arizona with Lloyd. It has been already announced.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    I am going to go back on my comment. I read a couple of more articles on who both Powell and Brian helped recruit and actually both of them have done a great job. Maybe Brian a hair better just because he brought in more. I didn’t pay close enough attention to who they (Powell and Brian) actually recruited cause Tommy captured all of the attention.
    B Mike is a masterful scouter, game planner, & recruiter.

Brian became a Gonzaga Asst Coach in 2013.

Our style of play, our recruiting, and our tournament success received an immediate and instant impact the year he joined the staff.

Now, reflect on the program, brand, and state-side recruits since 2013. Coach Michaelson's efforts and talent are not a coincidence.

His name was mentioned above but Kyle Bankhead may be on the move.

Has been at UNC Greensboro. Their head Coach Wes Miller (who was one of the 2 main names mentioned @UNC along with Hubert Davis) was also hired today, at Cincinnati.

UNCG went to the Tourney this year as well as 2018 (where they lost to the Zags).

Miller played @ UNC so Kyle has gone "outside the GU family" for awhile & brings a different perspective. Was 2 years ahead of B Mic, so knows him well as well.

Wherever it is, hope Kyle has a great landing.
    But we don't play nobody.

Plenty of time to find a very good someone or have someone apply to us. Very principled program at GU. Very successful as well. We’ll get a good one!

Seems Mark's skills at evaluating people is even higher than his coaching skills. I trust we'll be fine.

Not many happy about the Tommy Lloyd hiring on the Arizona Boards.
    Last edited by ZagaZags; 04-15-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Brian is moving #2 and Powell to #3. The search is on for #4 and Fewie has several people in mind.
    I am surprised by this.

I trust Few.

But I would've thought that Few would have tapped his big rolodex for a very very experienced former HC top assistant type, a winner that brings some specialization that Few might believe he needs.

And I still believe that at some point Gary Bell Jr. will be coaching at Gonzaga.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Not many happy about the Tommy Lloyd hiring on the Arizona Boards.
    People are weird
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Have to openly admit I'm prejudiced in favor of Sweet Bobby Sacre as 4th asst..... I know, no experience but the energy he brings into a room is contagious.... an amazing upbeat personality!

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Roy Williams wants the job. Actually, I suspect that he will have his choice of quite a few very qualified candidates. My concern is how things are going to go with the kids Tommy may have been involved with recruiting for this year and next year. While he might not openly poach players, I suspect some of those kids that he has been involved with recruiting may want to follow him to Arizona because they have an established relationship and it’s not like Arizona is a huge step down.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Roy Williams wants the job. Actually, I suspect that he will have his choice of quite a few very qualified candidates. My concern is how things are going to go with the kids Tommy may have been involved with recruiting for this year and next year. While he might not openly poach players, I suspect some of those kids that he has been involved with recruiting may want to follow him to Arizona because they have an established relationship and itís not like Arizona is a huge step down.
    One of the senior board members "in the know" indicated that Lloyd would not be poaching any coaches or recruits.

"You Won't Want To Play Us" - Casey Calvary to Dan Monson
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Brian is moving #2 and Powell to #3. The search is on for #4 and Fewie has several people in mind.
    Love this. Brian and his wife both work for the Athletic Department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Zona fans think they're a blue blood. Sad. Too much humble pie to eat in realizing that the best program and best coaches in the west are not in the Pac-12.
    Gonzaga Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Love this. Brian and his wife both work for the Athletic Department.
    Kind of had a realization yesterday that Brian is probably going to be our next HC if he wants to be. Might be a decade down the line but feel like it's his if he stays and the program continues on the path it's on. Family is pretty entrenched in the area and I guess I can see it coming together at some point. A long way off but I'd be happy about it.

The stability is a good thing for a program.

Is the door open for Billy to come back to the #2 seat?
    Gonzaga Basketball

Lloyd seemed to be the coach who could bring the intensity and fire up the players emotionally when needed. Not sure who of Few, Michaelson, Powell can do that but I can think of a former Zag who sure can: AMMO!

Gotta have a coach on staff who can tap into the emotions and fan the fiery flames of competitive juices into lava when that’s what the team needs.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Roy Williams wants the job. Actually, I suspect that he will have his choice of quite a few very qualified candidates. My concern is how things are going to go with the kids Tommy may have been involved with recruiting for this year and next year. While he might not openly poach players, I suspect some of those kids that he has been involved with recruiting may want to follow him to Arizona because they have an established relationship and itís not like Arizona is a huge step down.
    Not sure as a player I want to go to a school that is looking at potential bans and the lack of post season play. Rooting for Tommy , but he has a tough challenge over the next couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure View Post
    Not sure as a player I want to go to a school that is looking at potential bans and the lack of post season play. Rooting for Tommy , but he has a tough challenge over the next couple years.
    zona is going to get a gentle pat on the behind from the ncaa...lose a couple schollies and reduced recruiting...they already self-served the one year ncaa suspension, i doubt they get another.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    zona is going to get a gentle pat on the behind from the ncaa...lose a couple schollies and reduced recruiting...they already self-served the one year ncaa suspension, i doubt they get another.
    I agree with your pat on the behind comparison.

As much a UA would like to get credit for the self-ban from a tournament they weren't going to make, I don't think it will even be a consideration.

The fact that they've distanced themselves from the people that lied, bribed, ignored, obstructed will probably have much more impact. It was one of the reasons to bring Tommy: his reputation at GU as a coach that does things within the rules with a great graduation rate.

I'm guessing 2 years reduced scholarships and no post season bans which is getting off really easy (like most big schools do). Not quite UNC treatment, but close. If sanctions are enforced starting 22-23 season, it will barely be noticed. Good for TL.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by McZag View Post
    Is the door open for Billy to come back to the #2 seat?
    I was wondering the same... before Tommy Lloyd billy Grier was the hot name... I believe Tommy only got his chance from moving up a seat if memory serves correct

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I was wondering the same... before Tommy Lloyd billy Grier was the hot name... I believe Tommy only got his chance from moving up a seat if memory serves correct
    That seems to have changed over time, no?