Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 117 of 117

Thread: Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    If you are going to say something like “Read Richard Jefferson’s comments ... “ how about you provide a link to said comments. Why make Boardmembers go looking for a quote or quotes you have seen and are trying to make a point about? Thank you.
    Agreed!
    ...but feels like I’m watching my parents argue.
    Super Moderators are human too.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    This one is off topic but it provides a sense of Roger Powell's thinking: https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...bcd9f0860.html

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Agreed!
    ...but feels like I’m watching my parents argue.
    Super Moderators are human too.
    https://twitter.com/aaron_torres/sta...292534272?s=21


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    There you go (I guess #2 seed Iowa is nobody):

    https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...re-tommy-lloyd

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Actually, it doesn't matter anymore. They do sound loyal to their friends but the also sound real dumb. If they sandbag or don't like Tommy, hey, send him back! We'll take him!. Just a bunch of pro player retirees acting like they're something....and they're only as good as their last game.
    In my view, these guys say their trash and underneath it is a slam on the Gonzaga Basketball program They could only wish AZ could be this good........ we are No 1 again. They can only wish... they be i rear view anymore

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Has anybody heard ANYTHING about a replacement? I haven’t heard so much as rumors.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    My guess is Few just got back from a long postseason fishing trip to clear his head and started talking about potential hires w confidants this past week and making inquiries w guys he thinks would be a good fit. Hopefully this week or next Zags make an announcement?

    We can narrow it down a bit. Few won’t be hiring the parent, older sibling or AAU coach of a top high school player he wants on the team. Other than that, no idea.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    My guess is Few just got back from a long postseason fishing trip to clear his head and started talking about potential hires w confidants this past week and making inquiries w guys he thinks would be a good fit. Hopefully this week or next Zags make an announcement?

    We can narrow it down a bit. Few won’t be hiring the parent, older sibling or AAU coach of a top high school player he wants on the team. Other than that, no idea.
    This.

    And when Few does have time, most of those process is likely going to occur over his phone, then small meetings with the rest of the staff, more phone interviews.... there's no reason we'll hear much at all until right near the very end.

    By the way, I heard a rumor that Arizona is already looking to make some changes to personnel, Tommy Lloyd will be named the president of the University of Arizona with a significantly larger contract.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    Winning solves a lot of things...it is no more complicated than that.....if Tommy wins he will be fine...if he loses he will be replaced.... in either case he took a leap of faith and became a very wealthy person......

    It appears the only constants in Gonzaga's success have been Few and Roth....assistants come and go and the programs continues to improve....the past is prologue...

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This.

    And when Few does have time, most of those process is likely going to occur over his phone, then small meetings with the rest of the staff, more phone interviews.... there's no reason we'll hear much at all until right near the very end.

    By the way, I heard a rumor that Arizona is already looking to make some changes to personnel, Tommy Lloyd will be named the president of the University of Arizona with a significantly larger contract.
    The sad part is he’d take a HUGE pay cut to be the president of the University of Arizona and their 40k students.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    My guess is Few just got back from a long postseason fishing trip to clear his head and started talking about potential hires w confidants this past week and making inquiries w guys he thinks would be a good fit. Hopefully this week or next Zags make an announcement?

    We can narrow it down a bit. Few won’t be hiring the parent, older sibling or AAU coach of a top high school player he wants on the team. Other than that, no idea.
    With the possibility of Tommy leaving on the table for the past few months I'm sure Few and Co. had a list of names to reach out to prior to Tommy signing his contract. Even with Few on vacation I'm sure the wheels were turning on contacting people to gauge interest....whether that was Few making calls or others from the program reaching out.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,670

    Default

    Tommy's Arizona cupboard is already stocked up with foreign players, 7 by my count (8 if you count Kentucky). I understand that Batcho is in the portal but there are 5 more Euro
    Feshmen and 1 African Sophomore listed on the 20/21 roster. Tommy will feel right at home.

    https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/m...ketball/roster
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,091

    Default

    That website needs updating. Akinjo is now another saved soul for Drew at Baylor. And in the when in Rome department, Tommy might think about tying on one. He and the trainer shouldn’t be the only outliers. Buy an Hermès with all that dough. Zona is a sneaky preppy place, not the REI atmosphere he’s used to.


    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Tommy's Arizona cupboard is already stocked up with foreign players, 7 by my count (8 if you count Kentucky). I understand that Batcho is in the portal but there are 5 more Euro
    Feshmen and 1 African Sophomore listed on the 20/21 roster. Tommy will feel right at home.

    https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/m...ketball/roster

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Tommy's Arizona cupboard is already stocked up with foreign players, 7 by my count (8 if you count Kentucky). I understand that Batcho is in the portal but there are 5 more Euro
    Feshmen and 1 African Sophomore listed on the 20/21 roster. Tommy will feel right at home.

    https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/m...ketball/roster

    I think right now Arizona’s roster is 4 Euros, 1 Canadian, 2 Africans, 4 US.
    Kriisa - Estonia
    Gorener - Turkey
    A. Tubelis - Lithuania
    T. Tubelis - Lithuania
    Matherin - Canada
    Koloko - Cameroon
    Ballo - Mali
    Terry - Arizona
    Brown - California
    Nowell - Washington (‘21 recruit)
    Dezonie - New Hampshire (‘21 recruit)
    What Tommy really needs is a commitment from TyTy Washington, 5 star pg recruit from Arizona who has Arizona in his top 5.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,670

    Default

    I goofed up and listed a Canadian as a euro

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,091

    Default

    First, buy him a necktie.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    The sad part is he’d take a HUGE pay cut to be the president of the University of Arizona and their 40k students.
    Yeah, I know. That's the fun part, it's all just a cluster right now (within their alum and boosters) they are crazy enough to do anything.

    There are a lot of states in which the head football coach at the Tier One university is the highest-paid state employee. Maybe that's not entirely fair given that a lot of them are paid out of a special fund set up by boosters and not the regular fund.

    On the other hand, we need only look at ourselves to see the difference in what "winning" can do and there's a lot more money in college football than anything else. If the new football coach can take them from six wins to 11, he's worth whatever amount. Offensive coordinators make 2.0-3.0 at some of these schools.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •