Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    If you are going to say something like “Read Richard Jefferson’s comments ... “ how about you provide a link to said comments. Why make Boardmembers go looking for a quote or quotes you have seen and are trying to make a point about? Thank you.
    Agreed!
    ...but feels like I’m watching my parents argue.
    Super Moderators are human too.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

This one is off topic but it provides a sense of Roger Powell's thinking: https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...bcd9f0860.html

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Agreed!
    ...but feels like I’m watching my parents argue.
    Super Moderators are human too.
    https://twitter.com/aaron_torres/sta...292534272?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

There you go (I guess #2 seed Iowa is nobody):

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...re-tommy-lloyd

Actually, it doesn't matter anymore. They do sound loyal to their friends but the also sound real dumb. If they sandbag or don't like Tommy, hey, send him back! We'll take him!. Just a bunch of pro player retirees acting like they're something....and they're only as good as their last game.
    In my view, these guys say their trash and underneath it is a slam on the Gonzaga Basketball program They could only wish AZ could be this good........ we are No 1 again. They can only wish... they be i rear view anymore

Has anybody heard ANYTHING about a replacement? I haven’t heard so much as rumors.

My guess is Few just got back from a long postseason fishing trip to clear his head and started talking about potential hires w confidants this past week and making inquiries w guys he thinks would be a good fit. Hopefully this week or next Zags make an announcement?

We can narrow it down a bit. Few won’t be hiring the parent, older sibling or AAU coach of a top high school player he wants on the team. Other than that, no idea.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

My guess is Few just got back from a long postseason fishing trip to clear his head and started talking about potential hires w confidants this past week and making inquiries w guys he thinks would be a good fit. Hopefully this week or next Zags make an announcement?

We can narrow it down a bit. Few won’t be hiring the parent, older sibling or AAU coach of a top high school player he wants on the team. Other than that, no idea.
    This.

And when Few does have time, most of those process is likely going to occur over his phone, then small meetings with the rest of the staff, more phone interviews.... there's no reason we'll hear much at all until right near the very end.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Arizona is already looking to make some changes to personnel, Tommy Lloyd will be named the president of the University of Arizona with a significantly larger contract.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Winning solves a lot of things...it is no more complicated than that.....if Tommy wins he will be fine...if he loses he will be replaced.... in either case he took a leap of faith and became a very wealthy person......

It appears the only constants in Gonzaga's success have been Few and Roth....assistants come and go and the programs continues to improve....the past is prologue...

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This.

And when Few does have time, most of those process is likely going to occur over his phone, then small meetings with the rest of the staff, more phone interviews.... there's no reason we'll hear much at all until right near the very end.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Arizona is already looking to make some changes to personnel, Tommy Lloyd will be named the president of the University of Arizona with a significantly larger contract.
    The sad part is he’d take a HUGE pay cut to be the president of the University of Arizona and their 40k students.

With the possibility of Tommy leaving on the table for the past few months I'm sure Few and Co. had a list of names to reach out to prior to Tommy signing his contract. Even with Few on vacation I'm sure the wheels were turning on contacting people to gauge interest....whether that was Few making calls or others from the program reaching out.

Tommy's Arizona cupboard is already stocked up with foreign players, 7 by my count (8 if you count Kentucky). I understand that Batcho is in the portal but there are 5 more Euro
    Feshmen and 1 African Sophomore listed on the 20/21 roster. Tommy will feel right at home.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/m...ketball/roster
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

That website needs updating. Akinjo is now another saved soul for Drew at Baylor. And in the when in Rome department, Tommy might think about tying on one. He and the trainer shouldn’t be the only outliers. Buy an Hermès with all that dough. Zona is a sneaky preppy place, not the REI atmosphere he’s used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Tommy's Arizona cupboard is already stocked up with foreign players, 7 by my count (8 if you count Kentucky). I understand that Batcho is in the portal but there are 5 more Euro
    Feshmen and 1 African Sophomore listed on the 20/21 roster. Tommy will feel right at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post

I think right now Arizona’s roster is 4 Euros, 1 Canadian, 2 Africans, 4 US.
    Kriisa - Estonia
    Gorener - Turkey
    A. Tubelis - Lithuania
    T. Tubelis - Lithuania
    Matherin - Canada
    Koloko - Cameroon
    Ballo - Mali
    Terry - Arizona
    Brown - California
    Nowell - Washington (‘21 recruit)
    Dezonie - New Hampshire (‘21 recruit)
    What Tommy really needs is a commitment from TyTy Washington, 5 star pg recruit from Arizona who has Arizona in his top 5.

I goofed up and listed a Canadian as a euro

First, buy him a necktie.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    The sad part is he’d take a HUGE pay cut to be the president of the University of Arizona and their 40k students.
    Yeah, I know. That's the fun part, it's all just a cluster right now (within their alum and boosters) they are crazy enough to do anything.

There are a lot of states in which the head football coach at the Tier One university is the highest-paid state employee. Maybe that's not entirely fair given that a lot of them are paid out of a special fund set up by boosters and not the regular fund.

On the other hand, we need only look at ourselves to see the difference in what "winning" can do and there's a lot more money in college football than anything else. If the new football coach can take them from six wins to 11, he's worth whatever amount. Offensive coordinators make 2.0-3.0 at some of these schools.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.