Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

Default Who do we hire to replace Tommy?

Are there any potential coaching candidates we are aware of, or ones we have connections with?

Such as...former Gonzaga players or coaches? Underrated assistants on established programs? Recent coaching layoffs that seem undeserved?

Thoughts on any hopefuls?

John Jakus and Kyle Bankhead come to mind
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Gary Bell Jr.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Default My Two Cents...

I wonder if Coach Powell would move up to #2. I read a while ago that Coach Powell is considered a future head coach, wishes to be one, one day. Why not stick around here and be Few's successor?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Is Pargo thinking of coaching?

Some NBA + International experience.

Career history
    2009–2010 Hapoel Gilboa Galil
    2010–2011 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    2011–2012 Memphis Grizzlies
    2012–2013 Cleveland Cavaliers
    2013 Philadelphia 76ers
    2013–2014 CSKA Moscow
    2014–2015 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    2015–2016 Zhejiang Lions
    2016 Reyer Venezia Mestre
    2016–2017 Shenzhen Leopards
    2017–2018 Nanjing Monkey King
    2018 Santa Cruz Warriors
    2018 Champville SC
    2018–2019 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    2020 Golden State Warriors
    2020 Santa Cruz Warriors
    2020 Hapoel Jerusalem
    2021–present Maccabi Rishon LeZion

Maybe John Stockton is thinking about coaching?

I would love to see new blood. Gonzaga has been stellar against above average opponents but let's take it to another level. With a 1-12 record against top 3 seeds in the tournament its time to change it up a bit to get that national. I'm sure I'll be bludgeoned but continuing on the same path will get similar results.

Does this mean no more overseas recruits?

I would like to see them interview Stephen Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I would love to see new blood. Gonzaga has been stellar against above average opponents but let's take it to another level. With a 1-12 record against top 3 seeds in the tournament its time to change it up a bit to get that national. I'm sure I'll be bludgeoned but continuing on the same path will get similar results.
    I’d like to think that’s Powell.

He wouldn't replace Tommy but I'd love to see us steal Rem Bakamus from Baylor.
    He's currently only a graduate assistant but so was Mark Few at one time.
    We need some personality and someone who can relate to and connect with recruits. I think Rem could be that man.

- a few months ago on the mark few show, j.p. baptiste said in an interview that he'd love to receive a call about coaching at gonzaga.
    - i like the idea of bringing on board a past player be it gbj, pargo, baptise, gentry, rem and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - a few months ago on the mark few show, j.p. baptiste said in an interview that he'd love to receive a call about coaching at gonzaga.
    - i like the idea of bringing on board a past player be it gbj, pargo, baptise, gentry, rem and so forth.
    J. P. Batista was a terrific player.

Tommy goes to Arizona and coaches for a few years (makes alot of cash). Few retires and Tommy Lloyd returns to Spokane as the head coach of Gonzaga. He's just going to Arizona to get the experience of being the head of a major program. It will better prepare him for when he takes over GU. So you see, he's still the coach in waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagZombie View Post
    Tommy goes to Arizona and coaches for a few years (makes alot of cash). Few retires and Tommy Lloyd returns to Spokane as the head coach of Gonzaga. He's just going to Arizona to get the experience of being the head of a major program. It will better prepare him for when he takes over GU. So you see, he's still the coach in waiting.
    I think if you did that it wouldn’t be fair to Tommy’s successor.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagZombie View Post
    That ship has sailed. I personally think Michaelson ultimately ends up being the coach in waiting and he should be ready at the time that Few hangs it up. I don’t know that Powell is ahead of Brian but maybe. It’ll be interesting to see the choice. I will say my first thought was Gary Bell Jr but it might be a situation where a new view is brought in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is J.P. these days? What a great Zag.

Believe he is playing down in Brazil.

Wish Ronny would wet his beak on the bench, would love to see him in a coaching roll.

A-ha, we’ve found the newest incarnation of “Gonzaga doesn’t play anybody/Gonzaga can’t beat anybody.” This has already been analyzed and found to be lacking - nearly all the losses were when we are lower seed.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post

We have one of the top openings in the sport and Few has made some really good hires over his tenure. My guess is a national name, not previously affiliated with the program. Agree that B-Mike is the most likely future HC. I don’t know that there’s an assistant HC the next few years but I’d be really excited about moving B-Mike and Powell up a spot and adding another quality recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    A-ha, we’ve found the newest incarnation of “Gonzaga doesn’t play anybody/Gonzaga can’t beat anybody.” This has already been analyzed and found to be lacking - nearly all the losses were when we are lower seed.
    Not just that, but he’s just conveniently leaving out all of 1999 and 2000 bc it doesn’t fit the narrative. Not our fault in our years since 2015 the 2 or 3 seed loses. We probably woulda beat them too lol especially Iowa, or Kansas this year. Wait - we already killed them once this year didn’t we?

Really need to stop with the subjectivity and realize we went to two (not one!) title games.

Alabama Texas and Michigan all lost to the same team that we beat in an epic showdown as well. Why don’t we hammer those teams for losing to an 11? Also doesn’t fit the narrative. It’s old tiring and boring.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    Exactly. I was going to respond to that post but decided I didn’t want to waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    I wonder if Coach Powell would move up to #2. I read a while ago that Coach Powell is considered a future head coach, wishes to be one, one day. Why not stick around here and be Few's successor?

:]
    Brian is moving #2 and Powell to #3. The search is on for #4 and Fewie has several people in mind.

I think I heard the same interview. It seems very apparent to me that he loves basketball and Gonzaga. If I recall, he wants to stay active in the sport as a coach. He seems to have a great perspective on life and would likely be a well-rounded guy and a good mentor. Factor in all of his international exposure, pro experience, and skill as a player, and he’s a great guy to bring back.

J.P. Batista is one of my all time favorite Zag players.

I am not sure i feel totally comfortable with Brian being number 2 on our coaching depth chart. Of course if Few thinks he is ready for that step up than I will be on board. Guess we need to let that play out and see if it is him, or Powell, or someone else.