Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballo Enters the Transfer Portal

Default Ballo Enters the Transfer Portal

According to Borzello:

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...176254978?s=20

Gonzaga freshman Oumar Ballo has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Played in 24 games for the Zags this season.
    * Should be "Enters" not "Enter"...I wasn't telling to him to go!

Wow. Will be interested to see what comes next for the big kid - and how he develops.

I thought he would stay? I thought another summer and he would see significant minutes in the 2021/22 season. Wonder if the potential Holmgren commit factored here?

Sad to see Ballo enter the portal as he seems like a great kid. I still think there is a lot of potential there as he is still so young. Really needs time on the court to develop though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it stems from a lack of future playing time and frustration from this season. Has to be pretty hard to see a kid that should still be in high school coming in for scratch minutes ahead of you; but we've all seen his game this year and the reason why he lost his position on the depth charts. I hope he finds success wherever he lands.

Not a fan of the portal, seeing a mass exodus nation wide, seems like some aren’t willing to stick around and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Think it stems from a lack of future playing time and frustration from this season. Has to be pretty hard to see a kid that should still be in high school coming in for scratch minutes ahead of you; but we've all seen his game this year and the reason why he lost his position on the depth charts. I hope he finds success wherever he lands.
    Ballo would probably still be in high school right now if he was a US kid. He’s still younger than Suggs was at this time last year, won’t be 19 until July. Can technically still be a freshman next season with 4 left to play. I imagine he will have a lot of interest. Good luck to him and I know I’ll be following him.

This sucks, I really liked Oumar and his cool hairdo. Maybe there are no takers, and he comes back?
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Bummer. I watched a ton of Ballo before he got to Spokane and was really excited for him to be part of the team. It was mystifying watching him struggle to do pretty much everything on the court. Running, catching the ball, shooting....even rebounding & blocking shots seemed way more difficult for him. Hoping he can put it together somewhere - he seems like a cool guy.

I have thought that Ballo has a lot of potential and agree that this summer would have been the turning point.
    It does open two spots on the roster, especially for two bigs.

In the whelping box thread, it was said that Auburn expects Kessler to make a decision very soon. This could open a sight line for him to come here.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Guessing he'll end up in a warmer climate...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Schollies opening up. Good luck to him, but it said alot when Gregg even was starting to get minutes over him and we have some bigs in the mix that our highly touted.

Bummed that we won't see the development, hope he finds happiness.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Not a fan of the portal, seeing a mass exodus nation wide, seems like some aren’t willing to stick around and develop.
    I dislike the portal with a passion! Ok I hate the portal!!! Unfortunately it is what it is. I do like the fact that kids can move on from a bad situation but I'm not sure the immediate eligibility thing is the answer.
    Hope Ballo finds a good fit.

- i know ballo was deep on the bench, but this kind of surprises me.
    - i thought with another year of development by his 3rd year he would be a strong contributor to the team.
    - wonder if ballo was given any inside info on walker the unc transfer. i'm sure the coaches would hold no punches and let them know what is in the works so they can make informed decisions.

- our transfers usually do not soar to great heights after they transfer from gonzaga. i think ballo has the potential to be the best transfer to succeed at another school since grant gibbs.

- good luck oumar!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post

- our transfers usually do not soar to great heights after they transfer from gonzaga. i think ballo has the potential to be the best transfer to succeed at another school since grant gibbs.
    Ryan Spangler did all right

Does Brock Osweiler count? He earned more than $40 mil during his NFL career.

Good luck to Ballo. As with Pavel, he’s just looking for a better fit for his game and playing time. I hope he finds it and he blows up in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm incredibly disappointed by Ballos transfer news. I was always rooting for him whenever he got some playing time. I agree another year or two of development would do him wonders. But I was always a bit perplexed about how it seemed he didn't have strong hands and would have trouble catching the ball. After two years at GU, I saw nothing that resembled his playing time with Mali.

Remember all those times Richard Fox said that we should be buying stock in Ballo? I think I'll hold on to my shares..

Best wishes to Oumar!

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Does Brock Osweiler count? He earned more than $40 mil during his NFL career.
    I don't think he counts as a transfer... he never enrolled in GU. But he certainly did alright for himself!

Best wishes, Omar, wherever you end up. And good luck to you.

I think this will end up being good for Ballo. Didn’t really see a path to contributions here, at least for a few years. We will obviously be fine.

I can foresee scenarios where this young man develops into an All-American before he leaves the college game. I would not be surprised to see him make a massive developmental leap along the lines of Rui, Ayayi, or Olynyk, but it feels like he’s still a year away from being a regular contributor to a Top 25 team.

I wish him the best of luck. I hope he finds a coaching staff that has the patience and vision to help him achieve his amazing potential.

Oumar moved from Mali to Spain at 11 years old and has been on his hoops journey ever since. I cannot fathom the courage and mental strength it would take to move multiple times, alone, without knowing the language where you are moving to. I respect his decision but it also makes me really sad too; he could have been a great Zag story but his story can still be great; heck, it already is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oumar_Ballo_(basketball)

When he was 11 years old, Ballo began training with coach Mohamed Diarra in his hometown, eventually earning an invitation from Canterbury Basketball Academy, a British private school in Las Palmas, Spain.[4] He enrolled as a full-time student, despite not knowing Spanish or English, and started practicing basketball three times per day.[1] In May 2017, Ballo was named most valuable player (MVP) of the Spanish Under-16 Championship after helping Canterbury finish in third place, behind bigger clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid, and leading the tournament in rebounds.[1][5] In 2018, he averaged 15.1 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game at the Spanish Junior Championship, earning MVP honors.[6]

In October 2018, Ballo moved to NBA Academy Latin America, a training center in Mexico City sponsored by the NBA, CONADE, and Mexican Basketball Federation.[5][7] He missed a large portion of the 2018–19 season with an ankle injury.[8] In February 2019, Ballo played at the Basketball Without Borders camp at 2019 NBA All-Star Weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he was one of the youngest participants.[9]
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

this N. Carolina talking head thinks the chances of Kessler going to GU is bigger than KY, Auburn, or Tenn. Crystal ball has him leaning Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGl_Jj1dfQ

and our familiar homies are optimistic for GU also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-j1fKmYYk

The kids want to play....... the transfer portal is the best thing that has ever been allowed by the NCAA......best of luck Ballo..... I imagine there is a chance you may stay..... I hope so....