Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballo Enters the Transfer Portal

Wish him all the best and bet he will be a beast somewhere. With Few moving to more of a NBA running style these back to the basket bigs will have a hard time keeping up here.

Ballo still has 4 years eligibility left. Looking forward to watching him progress over the next 4 seasons.

Bummer, I was really hoping to see him develop as a Zag. Wishing him all the best wherever he lands.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

we do seem to chase off 7footers....

Smile Best wishes to Oumar!

Methinks Oumar might have had a trajectory similar to Karno's (back then) -- work hard, get minutes, improve over three years, become a quality starter. The reality of today's Zags, though, is that our Bigs are more "ready" out of high school. Plus, we run and run and run the court now.

It would be pretty awesome, in this fan's humble opinion, if both Oumar and Pavel transferred to WCC teams. I think both have more potential than, say, the big SMC got from Utah last year. (7'4", forget his name). Randy Bennet's pretty good at developing bigs. Plus, his teams play a slower game.

USF and Pepperdine are on the upswing, could utilize Oumar & Pavel's size in their styles of play. Imagine if both transferred to the same team (with Marty Arlaukus, if he decides to go). An instant upgrade in talent.

Wherever you land, Oumar, may you make the perfect choice. God bless.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    You ever had a house built ??? In my career I had written and administered hundreds of contracts for both service and construction and in spite of boilerplate and standard provisions and specifications and codes and pre bid meetings and verifications and certifications ....a substantial number of them were subjects of disputes, appeals, arbitration, modification and termination.......none of the parties was forced to sign the original contract nor was "willingness" a issue that was ever raised in court....
    So the contractors are indentured servants than? Odd view IMO
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Your conflating

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Your conflating
    Is that the same as conflatulence?

"Is that the same as conflatulence?"

It's the off-season - it happens

Not surprised.

This opens up more schoolies for quality transfers and maybe even some HS recruits.

Surprised Kessler transferred to Auburn, but I suppose he wishes to stay close to home.

I mentioned in a previous post that I thought Ballo might transfer. His body language on the sideline always seemed like he was a bit unhappy with his situation. When he committed we had two french speaking players on the team, but with Ayayi leaving he'll be the only one left. Probably wouldn't have seen a lot of playing time next season if he stayed. If he was forced to sit out a year I bet he stays, but he along with a lot of other players are taking advantage of the rule change. Do think he could have grown into a pretty good player if he stuck around, but I understand the choice and wish him the best. With his decision and Kessler committing to Auburn it really seems like Timme is sticking around, which would be great.

The guy I'm kinda shocked hasn't entered the transfer portal is Arlauskas. I love his hustle whenever he was able to get minutes so I welcome him back if he decides to return. If he works really hard I do see him getting real minutes down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85 View Post
    I mentioned in a previous post that I thought Ballo might transfer. His body language on the sideline always seemed like he was a bit unhappy with his situation. When he committed we had two french speaking players on the team, but with Ayayi leaving he'll be the only one left. Probably wouldn't have seen a lot of playing time next season if he stayed. If he was forced to sit out a year I bet he stays, but he along with a lot of other players are taking advantage of the rule change. Do think he could have grown into a pretty good player if he stuck around, but I understand the choice and wish him the best. With his decision and Kessler committing to Auburn it really seems like Timme is sticking around, which would be great.

The guy I'm kinda shocked hasn't entered the transfer portal is Arlauskas. I love his hustle whenever he was able to get minutes so I welcome him back if he decides to return. If he works really hard I do see him getting real minutes down the road.
    Not every player transfers; he might enjoy being a part of the team and loves the school too much to leave. Each player has their own reasons for staying or going. That said, yeah I am a bit surprised too. If it is solely a playing-time decision its probably a no-brainer to look elsewhere, but there are probably other factors at play.

My optimistic view of Ballo was he had the potential by his 3rd year to develop into a Sacre-like force inside. Always felt he was a long-term project. The "Baby Shaq" talk was laughable.

Good luck to him.

As a player, it must be a harsh realization to make that no matter how long I stay on a certain team, there will always be a good chance that someone ahead of me playing the minutes I want. I don’t blame someone for leaving if they want to play. He may feel that he may never get to showcase his talents enough to get to the next level, whatever that level is. The big question for me with players like that is, would he have gotten bog minutes in 2 years? Only he and the staff know that, and even then there are uncertainties.

In one podcast I listened to, even the great Adam Morrison— and I use that term in all seriousness— mentioned facing this type of fear of as an underclassman and tried to kick the ass of anyone he was matched up against in practice. I am paraphrasing, but it matched his tone and the level of competitiveness. There was no way he was letting someone take his spot.

KO had one of his size 16s out the door, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    KO had one of his size 16s out the door, as I recall.
    And and arm on the doorknob
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Was it Tommy who said to KO something like, “If you’re going to transfer and sit out a year anyway, why don’t you just redshirt and ‘transfer’ to Gonzaga?”

His was the biggest transformation I had seen at GU. I didn’t see as much of the potential that others saw, and didn’t really see the guard skills that others did.

I can honestly see Ballo playing for a PAC12 school next year. I'm not saying that he'll be starting next year, but could definitely be in the rotation for any team there.

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85 View Post
    One thing I noticed about Arlauskas is he always has great body language on and off the court. I imagine he's the kind of player that will do whatever coach asks of him. Hope he stays as he seems like a solid young man that is easy to root for.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I can honestly see Ballo playing for a PAC12 school next year. I'm not saying that he'll be starting next year, but could definitely be in the rotation for any team there.
    Wow.

Doesn't UCLA need a center?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    My optimistic view of Ballo was he had the potential by his 3rd year to develop into a Sacre-like force inside. Always felt he was a long-term project. The "Baby Shaq" talk was laughable.

Good luck to him.
    I remember watching him against the US team in the U-19 and he dominated the post, which is why when he came here, I just knew he would be dominant here by his 2nd year...don't know what happened to the young man I watched play that game...it appears he lost his confidence and hands as he was unable to finish on many plays and lost the ball too...I wish him well in all things he does through out his life time...

I predict he may follow Tommy to Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
    I predict he may follow Tommy to Arizona.
    this would NOT surprise me at all
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

There are no words.