Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joel is declaring for the NBA draft

Thanks to both of you for the four great years that you were here. Good luck on wherever you might end up.

I was hopeful he'd stick around one more year to be more of a 'featured' player in the offense. That said, the great play about Joel is you don't really have to run plays for him, and he'll find 10-16 points of broken plays, put backs, late shot clock situations, and beating defenses out of the zone.

When you talk about 'star in your role' not many better than Joel. I hope he can carry that over into an NBA career. I believe he can! Hope he gets drafted, but he's going to make many millions in a 10+ year career NBA and/or Europe.

Thanks for everything Joel! Also, thanks for announcing early- I was hopeful, but better to know now!

Smile Joel, Joel!

Three of this fan's All-Time Zags are the Frenchmen Joel Ayayi, Killian Tillie, and Rony Turiaf. Joel has a sort of undefinable greatness to his game. He was always "there" when the Zags needed someone "there." Great plays, great motor, great humility.

-- Joel!

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

JMHO... I think Joel has the potential to be one of the best pros to come out of GU. If it happens it may not be right away but his motor and growth in his game just oozes NBA
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    JMHO... I think Joel has the potential to be one of the best pros to come out of GU. If it happens it may not be right away but his motor and growth in his game just oozes NBA
    I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Three of this fan's All-Time Zags are the Frenchmen Joel Ayayi, Killian Tillie, and Rony Turiaf. Joel has a sort of undefinable greatness to his game. He was always "there" when the Zags needed someone "there." Great plays, great motor, great humility.

-- Joel!

:]
    We fancy you, Joel!!

He's got a great career ahead. Once a Zag, always a Zag!!
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    Such a terrible comment on a special day for this great kid. And I bet he will prove you wrong.
    Total +1. I am also not a doubter that Joel will play in the NBA—I think he is on an upward projectory

Best of lucky Joel! You were one of my favorite Zags and one of the best stories with your patient approach.

Thank you!
    Go Zags!!!

Certainly in the conversation for most improved, from the start of his career until the finish.

Thank you Joel!

Good Luck!!
    But we don't play nobody.

"Merci Beaucoup" Joel.... your career at Gonzaga has been "Magnifique"....

Your BB skills and IQ were such a joy to watch.... you have a long career in the game you love to look forward to... Zag Up!

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

One of my favorites of all time. One of the few players that can entertain you without having the ball in his hands. You can become mesmerized by focusing on him and losing track of what is happening elsewhere. He is really good at everything.
    I miss Mike Hart

He was a joy to watch .......and I suspect he will make a great deal of money playing basketball for ten or more years ....perhaps in Le Mans France where Batista played and lived for many years.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    "Merci Beaucoup" Joel.... your career at Gonzaga has been "Magnifique"....

Your BB skills and IQ were such a joy to watch.... you have a long career in the game you love to look forward to... Zag Up!

Go!! Zags!!!
    I have to admit that reading this, my sleepy head missed a few letters and read that Joel's 'BBQ skills were such a joy to watch".

Now THAT would wow them when he heads back to France.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

- have to let joel know, i'm wishing him every success in life.
    - that zag nation is proud of the way he is up holding the gonzaga tradition of fine young men, making a difference in the world at large.

- editorial note, off the top of my head, i'd have to say joel was 'the most pleasantly surprising' player to come down the road in a very long time.

Joel rivaled Rui in terms of dramatic improvement through his years at Gonzaga. Seemed always to be in the right place for a pass, or a rebound.

Quiet leadership, and uncanny knack to step up when we needed him the most.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Joel rivaled Rui in terms of dramatic improvement through his years at Gonzaga. Seemed always to be in the right place for a pass, or a rebound.

Quiet leadership, and uncanny knack to step up when we needed him the most.

The difference for me between Rui and Joel was you could see the future better for Rui. He had the size, strength and athleticism, just was raw in experience playing high level basketball. Joel came in so thin I just wasn’t sure if he’d be able compete physically in high D1. It wasn’t until the FIBA tourney after Joel’s second year at GU that I thought he was going to be a rotation player. Amazing growth and just does everything without needing any attention. Will miss him.

Default Congrats Joel

To be honest, there was a time when I felt Joel might transfer from the program. That it just wasn't working out. But like with many kids at Gonzaga, things clicked at a certain point for Joel. Few had faith in his capacity to get better and better. And he just caught fire in last year's WCC tourney.

A college basketball analyst I know says that Joel would be the best player on 50% of all BCS teams this past season. That is saying a lot.

Too much is made about "having a nose for the basketball" as being a characteristic that is solely based on hustle. In part, yes, it's true. But as the great Bill Russell taught us, "having a nose for the basketball is mostly about basketball IQ, familiarity with your opponent, and film study. A lot of people don't realize that even the wild man Dennis Rodman was a constant student of film to detect opponent's weaknesses and such.

In all my years as a GU fan, Joel has one of the highest basketball IQ's of any Zag. All along, he improved his skill set, listened to coaches, and represented the university well at the highest level.

Many may be surprised that he was my favorite Zag on this year's team. He wasn't just the guy who did all the dirty work. His tremendous cutting without the basketball and his "finds" of open players was off the charts. And he was every bit responsible of the ball never "sticking" as Nemby and Suggs. His huge wingspan and amazing ability to rebound amongst "the trees" was truly great and made him a defensive nuisance.

I will miss you Joel. The NBA will always have a place for you. Smart NBA coaches understand the value of players of your nature, even if you are just a "role player.' Thanks for what you have given Gonzaga University.

Merci Joel!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    To be honest, there was a time when I felt Joel might transfer from the program. That it just wasn't working out. But like with many kids at Gonzaga, things clicked at a certain point for Joel. Few had faith in his capacity to get better and better. And he just caught fire in last year's WCC tourney.

A college basketball analyst I know says that Joel would be the best player on 50% of all BCS teams this past season. That is saying a lot.

Too much is made about "having a nose for the basketball" as being a characteristic that is solely based on hustle. In part, yes, it's true. But as the great Bill Russell taught us, "having a nose for the basketball is mostly about basketball IQ, familiarity with your opponent, and film study. A lot of people don't realize that even the wild man Dennis Rodman was a constant student of film to detect opponent's weaknesses and such.

In all my years as a GU fan, Joel has one of the highest basketball IQ's of any Zag. All along, he improved his skill set, listened to coaches, and represented the university well at the highest level.

Many may be surprised that he was my favorite Zag on this year's team. He wasn't just the guy who did all the dirty work. His tremendous cutting without the basketball and his "finds" of open players was off the charts. And he was every bit responsible of the ball never "sticking" as Nemby and Suggs. His huge wingspan and amazing ability to rebound amongst "the trees" was truly great and made him a defensive nuisance.

I will miss you Joel. The NBA will always have a place for you. Smart NBA coaches understand the value of players of your nature, even if you are just a "role player.' Thanks for what you have given Gonzaga University.
    Well put, CDC. Thanks.

Default Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    No great surprise. Sad to see him go. He has spent 4 years at Gonzaga, and given it his all. Time to move on. In so many games he was the unsung hero. Just went about his business. No showboating, etc. Wish him the best. An irreplaceable player in many respects.
    One of my favorite Zags of all time! We have been blessed to see him develop and play at such a high level. Such an intelligent and articulate young man who will a great ambassador for our beloved university. Thanks for the memories Joel!!

Joel Ayayi has been as cool as the other side of the pillow for as long as I remember.

(To steal from Stewart Scott)

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Joel Ayayi has been as cool as the other side of the pillow for as long as I remember.

(To steal from Stewart Scott)
    You must be butter because you're on a roll

- Stewart Scott

Stuart Scott* if we are going to honor him correctly

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Stuart Scott* if we are going to honor him correctly
    Thanks for the correction

Premier cru!